Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: A new AXIAL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2019, 09:25 AM   #181
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: A new AXIAL

I just started building a TRX4 kit and instantly wanted to exchange it for this Lil 1.9 wraith. I am biased though. My old cobbled together baby wraith was my favorite rig of all time. Only gave it up cause i couldn't compete with it in a rc4wd comp.

Here's what I wrote to some buddies of mine about it yesterday.

"It's definitely not as nice as the TRX4,
or look as good as the gen8 scout.
But I know it'll perform."

No, it's nothing new...... to us. But to the growing crawler market it is.
It looked good next to the new TRX4 blazer, and didn't have a GIANT lexan body on it to get hung up everywhere.

If I had to pick up a rig for a child, this would be my first choice.

I'm also glad axial is doing anything! I was afraid they were doomed after the bankruptcy debacle happened.

I'll stop defending this fun little rig now. Lol
raul shabinguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2019, 10:34 AM   #182
I wanna be Dave

Exclusive rc prints do seem kinda overpriced now that ive looked into it. Infact i may have owned a print and not even knew. Pretty sure i had a 302, bought from another member.

But the whole complaining about a products price/ plastic quality concern that you wont buy still makes no damn sense to me.

I can see buying the kit, then pointing out the flaws that you actually find on the forum, but not having something and complaining about what it is doesnt make much sense.

For example; I cant complain about a bully 2. I dont own one.

FWIW CVD's are sooo 2008.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #183
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
Exclusive rc prints do seem kinda overpriced now that ive looked into it. Infact i may have owned a print and not even knew. Pretty sure i had a 302, bought from another member.

But the whole complaining about a products price/ plastic quality concern that you wont buy still makes no damn sense to me.

I can see buying the kit, then pointing out the flaws that you actually find on the forum, but not having something and complaining about what it is doesnt make much sense.

I don't think most people are complaining about what it will or won't do. I'm pretty sure it will be a pretty competent little rig with the usual upgrades to an RTR. Tires, Servo. I think most people are POINTING OUT the relative value, or lack thereof, given the specs.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:49 AM   #184
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
I don't think most people are complaining about what it will or won't do. I'm pretty sure it will be a pretty competent little rig with the usual upgrades to an RTR. Tires, Servo. I think most people are POINTING OUT the relative value, or lack thereof, given the specs.
Yep you hit the nail on the head! I know this will be a great rig with the usual upgrades but these days some of those things should be coming with it out of the box.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:15 AM   #185
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Not to be "that guy" and pile on, but I'm going to be that guy and indeed pile on. I'm really not understanding this Axial "partnership" with this Exclusive RC guy. The close ups of those 3D printed parts show them to be horrible in terms of fit, finish and quality. I'd be severely pissed if I paid good money for these 3D doodads and they showed up looking like that. (They almost look like an afterthought) Honestly, I've seen much better examples of quality 3D printing here on the forums by many of you guys that have jumped in to it.

I will admit again that I do like the looks of this rig, but like many have stated, there's really nothing innovative about it as most of the "features" and "innovations" have already been done / accomplished by guys here on the forums. I also agree with others that $280-300 would have been the sweet spot in terms of pricing for its current configuration. At an MSRP of $370 - metal links, alloy body shocks, etc should be standard. I really hope Axial can pull out of this slump and get back to being a Tier 1 brand. Competition among brands is a great thing for all of us. Given the many recent releases of products by Traxxas, and the overall quality of the vehicle builds, it's clear to me that Traxxas is pulling ahead and creating a rather large gap between themselves and the competition.

Well said, 5 years ago when everyone wanted a 1.9 wraith it would have sold just fine. Coincidentally, 5 yrs ago when desktop printers were just coming around, that shotty quality of prints would have been acceptable as well

They did do a great execution of cool rig I think. But the price/parts value is not there is all. Hopefully they keep bringing new bits out here and there. Not sure you will see anything "groundbreaking" from anyone as the possibilities are endless as it is. Anything they will come up with has pretty much been done in the crawler world and guys will say its not new, theyre recycling junk, yada yada. As a large manufacturer, there best bet is to find what is selling, take what they have and make it available as a RTR or kit. Other than that, its just make a better chassis, or better geometry, better materials etc.

Out of curiosity, what would guys want to see, that has not been done or cant be made with existing parts? See what im saying? No matter what, its going to be "Guys have been making this for years"..... If it hasnt been made for years, well it probably wont sell well.

I dont know, just giving Axial the benefit of the doubt on this one. I like it, but i love my 1.9 wraith and Bomber, they just look much more proportionate. But at the price it needs something like the RBK kit links and Uni's. Id be pleased with that as the electronics are already DECENT for a RTR. I think it would be cool to see an XR width housing with AR44 gears, offset pumpkin and setup for splined ends for upgrades. It would make a lot of cool rigs. Thats what the wraith and Bomber should have com with. They look like Ronald McDonald as is.

Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #186
I wanna be Dave

Xr wide front offset pumkin and centered rear would be sweet.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #187
I wanna be Dave

Builders kit in a flat box consisting of all plastic bits still on parts trees. AR44 axles. 20-40% smaller bodied Wraith or Bomber. Unis. Metal gears throughout. CMS or SOA setups.

Kits of similar for Bomber Jr and Wraith Jr using the Yeti Jr axles.

Something 1/24 but not a Honcho. Maybe that Chebby they did a while back.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:12 PM   #188
I wanna be Dave

The grill is sweet! Links are noodles. But for a rtr, that will get beat on by most, id like to see someones rig after a lot of runtime with them still on.

Panhard mount chassis side could have been done better. Panhard bar is to short relative to the axle.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #189
I wanna be Dave

I'd definitely keep the stock grille over that (shudder) 3-d monstrosity a few posts back. Maybe just give the radiator behind the grille a silver wash for detail.

It would look better with the Deadbolt "holey" Method plastic wheels than the Machetes, too.

As far as another new release that is different down the road, my vote is for a rock bouncer replica.

I'd like a Shannon Campbell KOH Dragon Slayer replica, too - even though the Gmade GR1 GOM kinda looks like one it ended up being too delicate.

Last edited by durok; 03-16-2019 at 04:54 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:04 PM   #190
RCC Addict

More pics

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:28 PM   #191
RCC Addict

A lot of plastic parts wish they like gen8 provides aluminium links as standard.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:10 PM   #192

Quote:

Thanks

I was interested in buying it until I realized they went to the bottom shelf parts bin to build it. If Redcat, Traxxas and Vaterra can all offer metal links at under $370 then so can Axial. This is especially true since Axial and Vaterra now have the same owner.

I don't understand why people forgive Axial for plastic links.

You don't need to own something to critique price or low quality. Look at the competition to guage price. And I've already had experience with Axial's plastic hollow balls and plastic links so I know all I need to know about those.

I voice my opinion to Axial by not buying this at full price. If it drops down to $300 I'll consider it. If not I'll buy the cage and use parts I already own. It'll be much better than this plastic not so fantastic.

CVDs are old news? Please send that memo to Axial. Maybe they'll get the hint that dog bones are even older news and should die just like plastic links.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:17 PM   #193
I wanna be Dave

The first production crawler iirc that came with cvd shafts was the losi.

Id rather have a flexy plastic link than a bent ascender link.

They can price it at whatever they want. If you dont like it. Dont buy it i guess.

Complaining about prices is like beating a dead horse.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:23 PM   #194

Default A new AXIAL

Quote:
The first production crawler iirc that came with cvd shafts was the losi.

Id rather have a flexy plastic link than a bent ascender link.

They can price it at whatever they want. If you dont like it. Dont buy it i guess.

Complaining about prices is like beating a dead horse.

I'm not sure where you're going with that CVD comment.

My Ascender links did bend (only other metal links I've bent on a trail rig were my Bomber's), but they still lasted longer than Honcho and Wraith links before they started bending.

Plastic is an incredible thing thing. It would be possible to make strong and durable plastic links for an RC. Axial has proven they can't do that.

Already said I'm not buying it. And I think I gave valid reasons. It's not like I'm just fanboying.

If you want to say discussing the price is beating a dead horse than this entire thread has run its course...

EDIT: In other news I think Axial took down their Facebook post congratulating ERC on the deal. The comments were not supporting. So this may be the first time Axial has listened to customers.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 03-16-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #195
I wanna be Dave

I dont think any other plastic style link should come with this rig.

These flex back. Unless they went with delrin (i see no point) there would be no other plastic links id want.

The cvd comment was for somebody else. (Kincer i think)

And im sorta glad they pulled the erc post. After seeing what they offered and looking at the "rushed" prints, i wouldnt partner with them either.

Egressor shock bodies will fix the shock issues.

The only stock links out of any kit or rtr that ive found worth keeping was the scx10.2 kit links.

If awesome links are needed or wanted, Ti or cf would be my first choice. Aluminum links are so 2011.

Just sayin, not really worth putting aluminum links on this or any other rig.

Having said that, eh maybe 370 is a bit much for some to fork over, but id still buy it. Get its worth out of it then upgrade it when stuff breaks.

Only thing id change on this rig.. Is the top panel bolt location in the back. The single bolt in the center is stupid. Thats asking for a bent panel upside down in a sticky situation.

The flat orange is sweet. Id prefer the black or would like to see a flat lime green.

At least it comes with metal trans gears.

I wonder if a clear spawn body doors back could be mated with the 1.9 wraith fenders forward...

Old 03-16-2019, 07:59 PM   #196

Quote:
I dont think any other plastic style link should come with this rig.

These flex back. Unless they went with delrin (i see no point) there would be no other plastic links id want.

The cvd comment was for somebody else. (Kincer i think)

And im sorta glad they pulled the erc post. After seeing what they offered and looking at the "rushed" prints, i wouldnt partner with them either.

Egressor shock bodies will fix the shock issues.

The only stock links out of any kit or rtr that ive found worth keeping was the scx10.2 kit links.

If awesome links are needed or wanted, Ti or cf would be my first choice. Aluminum links are so 2011.

Just sayin, not really worth putting aluminum links on this or any other rig.

Having said that, eh maybe 370 is a bit much for some to fork over, but id still buy it. Get its worth out of it then upgrade it when stuff breaks.

Only thing id change on this rig.. Is the top panel bolt location in the back. The single bolt in the center is stupid. Thats asking for a bent panel upside down in a sticky situation.

The flat orange is sweet. Id prefer the black or would like to see a flat lime green.

At least it comes with metal trans gears.

I wonder if a clear spawn body doors back could be mated with the 1.9 wraith fenders forward...

You're okay with plastic links? Pretty sure you're in a small minority there. We'll agree to disagree.

Oh yeah I forgot the shocks blow too. Even more reason it should be cheaper.

I do agree they look awesome and the flat orange with silver under the Lexan is a nice touch.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:02 PM   #197
I wanna be Dave

Is it actually lexan or a solid colored plastic like the Spyder Jeep Wraith was?
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:06 PM   #198
I wanna be Dave

Silver? Didnt even notice.. +2 for scale trail scratches.

Yes im okay with plastic links. They wont stay bent like aluminum.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:28 PM   #199

Quote:
Silver? Didnt even notice.. +2 for scale trail scratches.

Yes im okay with plastic links. They wont stay bent like aluminum.
I didn't notice either, but it was mentioned in one of their paid shill's videos. Yes, it's very cool because of the scale scratches! Not a new technique, but still cool.

You've never bent a plastic Axial link that didn't go back? I have...
Old 03-16-2019, 09:39 PM   #200
I wanna be Dave

I have had stock wraith links. But they are way stiffer than whats on this new rig.

Xr10 links the plastic uppers are stiffer than the wraiths.

I think its better for these links to flex like they do. They have the same feel as the rtr 22 series camber links. Hit a tube on the track and they flex back.

A new AXIAL - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun day at the (axial wraith rock race - scalers axial honcho - axial discovery) gionata78 Scale Videos! 1 08-06-2013 11:52 AM