Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: A new AXIAL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #161
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: A new AXIAL

I like the looks of this rig a lot. I’ve toyed around with converting my Wraith to a 1.9 on a number of occassions. Having said that, I do still like to blast the 2.2 through the gnar with zero F—CKS given! Anyway, I think the $369 ask is a bit high. Plastic shocks, plastic links, no doubt the standard 120oz RTR servo, etc, etc, etc. I’m also not an Axial hater and have owned a number of Axial rigs. But, they’re not the only game in town in scale crawlers any longer. When you consider that the TRX-4 Sport retails for $339 all day long and comes with alloy body shocks, metal links with metal ball ends, one of the heaviest duty chassis available and portal axles to boot, it sets a new precedent.

Having said all that, I’m still finding myself drawn to this little rig.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2019, 07:44 PM   #162
I wanna be Dave

Funny you should say that...

I was thinking of pulling the trigger on another rig, and was mentally going back and forth between this and a TRX-4 Sport kit...

There's something about this lil' Wraith that intrigues me.

I have decided to wait, and concentrating on tweaking/completing what I have - and down the road will see what's what.

While I like this, I'd be once more faced with unloading the electronics and wheel/tire combo right off the bat.

A kit version is bound to show up sooner or later - maybe by then the TRX-4 kit will also be available without electronics AND body, wheels, and tires.

Then I'll be wanting both!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:01 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Forget about what everybody else is doing and focus on what Axial has and has had. The original Wraith RTR was $400 and had all the same plastic crap as this one. The Bomber RTR was $420 if I recall. The SCX10 II RTR was originally $400 too. This one came out of the gate at $370 and will no doubt fall to $350 when they release a $400 upgraded version with metal links. Just because others are racing to the middle doesn't mean that Axial should. Axial needs to separate themselves from the rest by regaining their position at the top of the heap. But like I said before, if they're going to command that premium price, they have got to provide a premium product. That means innovation and being new to market with those new ideas, and at a minimum, providing best-in-class engineering and design combined with high quality materials.
Forget what everybody else is doing? That makes no sense. That's like saying, "Ignore the competition! Put on your blinders and just buy Axial at inflated prices - because they were once the king." Nope. I'm not going to do it and I think you'd be stupid to do something like that.

At one time Axial was the only game in town. Back then they could ask the inflated prices you listed. Now the prices are just silly since this market is booming and competition is all over. Meanwhile Axial is still releasing the same, low-quality stuff while other brands are selling high quality models for less.

This new truck is worth $300 tops. It's mostly a Deadbolt. But they got rid of the steel frame and made that plastic too!

If Redcat or Traxxas released their current rig with plastic links and plastic hollow balls people would have dismissed it for Chinese crap. That's what it really is, but for some reason Axial gets a pass.

With the current plan I don't ever see Axial being back on top. They need to change their ways.

Oh and now I saw that Axial officially teamed up with the 3D printing scale douche! The comments on their Facebook post are gold because everybody knows he's a toolbag that produces the shittiest 3D prints in all of RC. He's also been known to rip people off. Who at Axial would approve that?! Axial is on a downward spiral. I thought Horizon was going to turn them around, but at this point they haven't.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:17 PM   #164
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Forget what everybody else is doing? That makes no sense. That's like saying, "Ignore the competition! Put on your blinders and just buy Axial at inflated prices - because they were once the king." Nope. I'm not going to do it and I think you'd be stupid to do something like that.

At one time Axial was the only game in town. Back then they could ask the inflated prices you listed. Now the prices are just silly since this market is booming and competition is all over. Meanwhile Axial is still releasing the same, low-quality stuff while other brands are selling high quality models for less.

This new truck is worth $300 tops. It's mostly a Deadbolt. But they got rid of the steel frame and made that plastic too!

If Redcat or Traxxas released their current rig with plastic links and plastic hollow balls people would have dismissed it for Chinese crap. That's what it really is, but for some reason Axial gets a pass.

With the current plan I don't ever see Axial being back on top. They need to change their ways.

Oh and now I saw that Axial officially teamed up with the 3D printing scale douche! The comments on their Facebook post are gold because everybody knows he's a toolbag that produces the shittiest 3D prints in all of RC. He's also been known to rip people off. Who at Axial would approve that?! Axial is on a downward spiral. I thought Horizon was going to turn them around, but at this point they haven't.
Go figure?

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:30 PM   #165
RCC Addict

More pics

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:36 PM   #166
I wanna be Dave

Why complain about it if you wont buy it anyway?

And whats wrong with exclusive rc? Is that overpriced too?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:39 PM   #167

Quote:

It's not about ignoring the competition, it's about positioning yourself so that you're not competing with them. Axial was the brand that the rest were chasing because they were innovating and bringing new ideas to market, not just doing what other brands were doing. Axial needs to lead by innovating, not by doing what everybody else does. When you're offering a product that nobody else has, it gives you an opportunity to charge a premium, provided it's well designed and manufactured.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 03-15-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:30 AM   #168
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Don’t forget they are innovating by releasing a production model of what nearly every person who owned a wraith did years ago. “Forget what everyone else is doing” so you won’t notice we haven’t changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SlagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:24 AM   #169
Quarry Creeper

The fact of the matter is that there is nothing innovative in this axial.

This pic is from August 2015 and I was nowhere near the forefront for this mod.

Just got my Wraith with SCX10 axles ready for a test drive. Opening hood. Battery at the front. CMS. SCX10 shocks and transmission. Inner fenders on the front. LED lights. Basically mine only misses the boatsides. And the turbos.

Here it is on it's first test ride.

Most fun scaler I've ever had. My TRX4 with the selectable lockers is a very close second.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:29 AM   #170

Default A new AXIAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
Why complain about it if you wont buy it anyway?

And whats wrong with exclusive rc? Is that overpriced too?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
I don't understand this seemingly newfound attitude on RCC where you can't say anything negative about a product. Why can't people have dissenting opinions?

I specifically said I liked it a lot, but after I discovered they went all out with the cheapness there are things I don't like. I still want to buy the cage chassis and build one myself.

Exclusive RC is known for producing low quality prints. He's also known for not shipping products unless you harass him to death. And he's got a childish attitude. He's known for drama. Why would Axial want to be associated with that?

Go checkout the comments about Exclusive RC yourself: http://www.facebook.com/story.php?st...d=164885970872

Also go checkout some of the quality of his prints:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/exclusi...l-8033/p742202

Also checkout the Exclusive RC Ford grille that Axial posted. Frank posted it above. It's broken in the "official" photo!

Quote:
It's not about ignoring the competition, it's about positioning yourself so that you're not competing with them. Axial was the brand that the rest were chasing because they were innovating and bringing new ideas to market, not just doing what other brands were doing. Axial needs to lead by innovating, not by doing what everybody else does. When you're offering a product that nobody else has, it gives you an opportunity to charge a premium, provided it's well designed and manufactured.
But Axial isn't that company right now. They aren't being chased nor are they innovating. The 1.9 Wraith has been built thousands of times over by people. And it's not made from their premium parts so why are they charging so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlagMan View Post
Don’t forget they are innovating by releasing a production model of what nearly every person who owned a wraith did years ago. “Forget what everyone else is doing” so you won’t notice we haven’t changed.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post

Just got my Wraith with SCX10 axles ready for a test drive. Opening hood. Battery at the front. CMS. SCX10 shocks and transmission. Inner fenders on the front. LED lights. Basically mine only misses the boatsides. And the turbos.
Exactly!

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 03-16-2019 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:20 AM   #171

Quote:

But Axial isn't that company right now. They aren't being chased nor are they innovating. The 1.9 Wraith has been built thousands of times over by people. And it's not made from their premium parts so why are they charging so much?
Who else is offering this vehicle that everybody seemed to want but had to cobble together themselves?
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:27 AM   #172
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post

This pic is from August 2015 and I was nowhere near the forefront for this mod.
I think I started my 1.9 build in '13 and I wasn't near the forefront either.

Just my opinion, but launching a new truck and showcasing sketchy looking printed parts from a less that stellar producer is a bad move.

edit: the location of the turbo is killing me.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 03-16-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:41 AM   #173
I wanna be Dave

It’s the first release under new management. They cobbled together parts to get something out there. Commissioned a few ‘trinkets/add ons’ to throw in, too.

Not defending, just saying.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:44 AM   #174
RCC Addict

Quote:
Who else is offering this vehicle that everybody seemed to want but had to cobble together themselves?
It's good for those that can't or don't want to do it, but in this stage of the game with everything thing that's out there this is not impressive to me. I built my own and the TRX shocks I put on it didn't leak, my servo arm didn't hit anything at any time with the CMS, and my homemade sleeved stainless links with Revo rod ends worked great and were stout. I did really like the SCX10.2 axles I put under it though. At this price point it should have good metal links, good rod ends, shocks that don't leak, Vaterra grade plastics, and maybe some CVDs. Now that would be worth buying IMO.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:49 AM   #175

Default A new AXIAL

Quote:
Nobody is selling a 1.9 Wraith, obviously, but most anybody on this site could make one from existing parts. And a lot of people that wanted one already built it so it'll be interesting to see how well it will sell. If this was released 5 years ago at this price of even $400 it would sold like hotcakes. Today I just don't see the value. I don't see why this is worth $70 more than a Deadbolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I think I started my 1.9 build in '13 and I wasn't near the forefront either.

Just my opinion, but launching a new truck and showcasing sketchy looking printed parts from a less that stellar producer is a bad move.

Yep and yep.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:50 AM   #176
Pebble Pounder

Those 3D printed tail lights look like they were hand filed from cough drops. Terrible!
BACK40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:51 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACK40 View Post
Those 3D printed tail lights look like they were hand filed from cough drops. Terrible!

Great way to put it! Hilarious!
Old 03-16-2019, 08:15 AM   #178
I wanna be Dave

Not to be "that guy" and pile on, but I'm going to be that guy and indeed pile on. I'm really not understanding this Axial "partnership" with this Exclusive RC guy. The close ups of those 3D printed parts show them to be horrible in terms of fit, finish and quality. I'd be severely pissed if I paid good money for these 3D doodads and they showed up looking like that. (They almost look like an afterthought) Honestly, I've seen much better examples of quality 3D printing here on the forums by many of you guys that have jumped in to it.

I will admit again that I do like the looks of this rig, but like many have stated, there's really nothing innovative about it as most of the "features" and "innovations" have already been done / accomplished by guys here on the forums. I also agree with others that $280-300 would have been the sweet spot in terms of pricing for its current configuration. At an MSRP of $370 - metal links, alloy body shocks, etc should be standard. I really hope Axial can pull out of this slump and get back to being a Tier 1 brand. Competition among brands is a great thing for all of us. Given the many recent releases of products by Traxxas, and the overall quality of the vehicle builds, it's clear to me that Traxxas is pulling ahead and creating a rather large gap between themselves and the competition.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:15 AM   #179
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by back40 View Post
those 3d printed tail lights look like they were hand filed from cough drops. Terrible!
"like"
Old 03-16-2019, 08:23 AM   #180
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Not to be "that guy" and pile on, but I'm going to be that guy and indeed pile on. I'm really not understanding this Axial "partnership" with this Exclusive RC guy. The close ups of those 3D printed parts show them to be horrible in terms of fit, finish and quality. I'd be severely pissed if I paid good money for these 3D doodads and they showed up looking like that. (They almost look like an afterthought) Honestly, I've seen much better examples of quality 3D printing here on the forums by many of you guys that have jumped in to it.

I will admit again that I do like the looks of this rig, but like many have stated, there's really nothing innovative about it as most of the "features" and "innovations" have already been done / accomplished by guys here on the forums. I also agree with others that $280-300 would have been the sweet spot in terms of pricing for its current configuration. At an MSRP of $370 - metal links, alloy body shocks, etc should be standard. I really hope Axial can pull out of this slump and get back to being a Tier 1 brand. Competition among brands is a great thing for all of us. Given the many recent releases of products by Traxxas, and the overall quality of the vehicle builds, it's clear to me that Traxxas is pulling ahead and creating a rather large gap between themselves and the competition.
"Like"! I completely agree!

I'm going to wait for them to release the rails and boat sides and finish my 1.9 Wraith I started a year ago.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote

A new AXIAL - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun day at the (axial wraith rock race - scalers axial honcho - axial discovery) gionata78 Scale Videos! 1 08-06-2013 11:52 AM