Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Proposal to Vendors for Injection Molding Group Buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2007, 07:54 AM   #61

If your going to spend the time designing and machining a stainless plug you might as well just design some draft into it and machine a graphite electrode.
Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2007, 09:23 AM   #62

Boy, this thread fell off a cliff. Where did everyone go?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:34 AM   #63
Pixel Pusher

Exclamation

I'm here

Just waiting for someone to step up and do some 3D design work on these parts. Then I can send the files over to our guys in China and get an "actual" quote on the job.

Till then.... We're a bummin'

Anyone? SolidWorks?

FreqEsKinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:53 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

You might be better off looking into rapid prototypeing, they have a process called stereolithography sintering, it uses a UV laser and builds the part in a vat full of powder, or 3d systems makes a resin called bluestone that we have actually used to build molds for wax injections. Just another route you guys could think about.
TOYUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:33 PM   #65

I know I am probably asking a stupid question here, but what are you expecting to see as the advantage to going with an injection molded item instead of a cast resin part?

just asking
tsenecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:09 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsenecal View Post
I know I am probably asking a stupid question here, but what are you expecting to see as the advantage to going with an injection molded item instead of a cast resin part?

just asking
When it comes to small parts like jerry cans and kc lights probably not many advantages with injection molding. It is a lot cheaper to get a mold made with the epoxy molds. Injection molding is faster when finally running with great repeatablility on tolerances.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:36 PM   #67
Quarry Creeper

ya you could proba have a mold built from that bluestone material and just to resin cast parts or something, i would guess you could have one built for under $3,000 and have it in about 4 days from when you order it!
TOYUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:00 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03durtymax View Post
ya you could proba have a mold built from that bluestone material and just to resin cast parts or something, i would guess you could have one built for under $3,000 and have it in about 4 days from when you order it!
If you have a male plug you can have a silicone mold in 24 hours at home. Probably costing less then a hundred bucks for small parts. Then its up to you to cast the parts.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #69
RCC Addict

Cast parts are know to be weak, dosn't sound smart considering how we all abuse our rigs. Injection molded parts can hold up to the abuse and can more easily be painted.

edit: castings are super labor intersive to manufacture, this raises the price and will make it cost more that molded parts

Freq - Modeling these parts in Solidworks or Autodesk Inventor will take some serious time and effort, I really doubt anyone will do it without $ motivation (I estimated 40 hrs + in a previous post).

This debate is pointless unless someone has the calhones to invest!

Last edited by Mad4Rnr; 09-29-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Mad4Rnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:02 AM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4Rnr View Post
Freq - Modeling these parts in Solidworks or Autodesk Inventor will take some serious time and effort, I really doubt anyone will do it without $ motivation (I estimated 40 hrs + in a previous post).
Or the fun called everyone has an a$$hole and an opinion. See if Joe models a jerry can based on the Wild Willy, everyone will jump saying it needs this and this improved or changed.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:12 AM   #71
Rock Crawler

Ok, I am willing to design a TLT and/or High-Lift axle case with a more scale appearance. I was actually going to do it anyway. As you can see from my build thread :Custom Hilux Build
I am not a stranger oo this. I cant promise to have it done before christmas, but that would be my goal. I use AutoCAD2005.
Katan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:17 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katan View Post
Ok, I am willing to design a TLT and/or High-Lift axle case with a more scale appearance. I was actually going to do it anyway. As you can see from my build thread :Custom Hilux Build
I am not a stranger to this. I cant promise to have it done before Christmas, but that would be my goal. I use AutoCAD2005.

Very generous offer, hope this comes to fruition!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:08 PM   #73
20K Club

Neal is supposed to be getting me a few things with some rough dimensions and I told him I would start modeling.

I already have a Dana 60 looking axle case done for TLT axles, just working out a few issues on the business end. So far concerns are tolerances with molding an axle case.

As far as the scale pieces go, I would guess about 1.5 to 3 hours per piece. Getting positive prototypes is my concern unless they can just take the files.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:41 PM   #74
Pixel Pusher

Exclamation

Thx for the input guys...

Harley, things have been "hectic" here to say the least. Sorry for the delay.

All I need to get the estimate is the files. I'll send them over to China and they'll get back to me in a day or two with costs.

They will handle all the mold making. I was told they use an electro-carbon method to "burn" the positives in the mold. Supposedly the best and most accurate way to produce the type of precision parts needed.

We will also need to determine the best plastic for the job. Initial estimate is to use ABS or an ABS/Styrene blend (I think?)

Anyway, thats where I am at on this....
FreqEsKinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:36 PM   #75
Quarry Creeper

Glad to see some progress thanks for helping out Harley.
aggressivellc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:51 PM   #76
Pebble Pounder

Whatever you guuys get done I will buy 5 sets!
twisted77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:36 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist View Post
If your going to spend the time designing and machining a stainless plug you might as well just design some draft into it and machine a graphite electrode.

You use a Graphite electrode that is machined to represent the cavity or core to burn the mold halves with a EDM machine. If you can machine a stainless plug you can machine a graphite electrode its not that hard. Only thing is your going to want to talk to who would be doing your burning and find the amount of overburn and reduce your electrode by that amount. You usually make multiple electrodes, roughing and finishing. You will also need to figure out what material you want to run before the mold is made because of varying shrink rates.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:43 PM   #78
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist View Post
You use a Graphite electrode that is machined to represent the cavity or core to burn the mold halves with a EDM machine. If you can machine a stainless plug you can machine a graphite electrode its not that hard. Only thing is your going to want to talk to who would be doing your burning and find the amount of overburn and reduce your electrode by that amount. You usually make multiple electrodes, roughing and finishing. You will also need to figure out what material you want to run before the mold is made because of varying shrink rates.

That sounded so good that I felt like my IQ was getting higher...until i realized I didnt had the slightest, remote idea of what the hell you just said!!! But Im in a group buy!!
chaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #79
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
I already have a Dana 60 looking axle case done for TLT axles, just working out a few issues on the business end. So far concerns are tolerances with molding an axle case.
I guess I dont need to do anything then...?

Have got any CAD pics?

thanks
Katan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #80
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Neal is supposed to be getting me a few things with some rough dimensions and I told him I would start modeling.

As far as the scale pieces go, I would guess about 1.5 to 3 hours per piece. Getting positive prototypes is my concern unless they can just take the files.
i would buy 3 sets of the dana 60 plastic cases.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote