Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > HPI Venture

Notices

Thread: Venture SBK - Scale Builder Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #121
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Venture SBK - Scale Builder Kit

I just got a shipping notification from Amain, was not expecting that!

I see their listing still says per-order so maybe they only had a limited stock.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #122
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I just got a shipping notification from Amain, was not expecting that!

I see their listing still says per-order so maybe they only had a limited stock.
My pre-order has not come in yet Maybe soon!
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:26 AM   #123
I wanna be Dave

Took only a week to go from Tawain to middle of nowhere Vermont. Thats pretty decent.

I am not impressed by the bearing bore tolerances, especially for the inner pinion bearing. I felt the need to sleeve them both with plastic bag to snug them up. Also had the upper link mount on the axle for the front have one of the three holes too big to actually catch the threads. Found an extra link bracket after I built it, so I'll be swapping it out.

Found that 5x9x2 O-rings fit snugly over the rear axles inboard of the drive pin to seal off the wheel bearings.

Though that putting the lower link bolts on the axles from the inside out was dumb, so I used longer bolts from the outside in with nuts. Also felt the need to use longer 3mm grub screws for all the link rod ends for more thread engagement. Longer bolts also used on both sides of the panhard bar for the same reason.

One of the pinion gears wanted a 5x7x.05 shim under the gear head to snug up the backlash. Ring gear and cool metal spool required no shiming. One side rear axle wanted a 5x7x.1 shim inboard of the wheel bearing to knock down the side to side play.

While I don't have it all wired up to drive yet, so far I'm happy with it. Most tolerances where good, virtually no trimming or sanding to make things fit nicely. I'm a little concerned about axle housing strength just outboard of the metal link mounts, but I'm probably just paranoid since I haven't seen anyone bust one apart yet.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:35 AM   #124
RCC Addict

Glad you got your kit ok.

I had the same slack bearing fit on my build. When I strip it sometime I have got some bearing fit loctite to use. As for the rest the only minor problems were the bearing was tight on one pinion shaft and one drivshaft CV was rough, but hope it will wear in ok. Good idea about the lower link mounts. I will do that on the front. The rear mounts I have used 30mm long grub screws as I have the shocks mounted there.

Last edited by M1tch; 03-16-2019 at 11:38 AM.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:53 PM   #125

The longest wait ever is almost over. Got my shipping notice from Amain today. It should be here by the weekend.
Captain_Torquepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #126

Got mine today. Let the building begin!
Old 03-21-2019, 06:00 PM   #127
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Torquepants View Post
Got mine today. Let the building begin!
Alright

Time to have some fun
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:46 AM   #128

The manual says grease and loc-tite are included and are required for step 1. They were not in my kit. Good job, HPI.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:11 AM   #129
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The manual says grease and loc-tite are included and are required for step 1. They were not in my kit. Good job, HPI.
I haven't checked mine out yet but not to worried as I usually throw that stuff to the trash. Much better grease out there than what is included in the kits in my opinion
Old 03-22-2019, 09:23 AM   #130

Quote:
Mistakes happen and it's a new kit so that's when the most mistakes happen. If that's the worst that they forgot it's not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetfuzz17 View Post
I haven't checked mine out yet but not to worried as I usually throw that stuff to the trash. Much better grease out there than what is included in the kits in my opinion
I typically agree. The grease that was included in the TRX-4 and SCX10 II kits was actually pretty good.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #131

I have my own, as most of us here probably do, but others may not be so lucky. 3+ years to work this out and they forget the grease and loc-tite. Lol
Old 03-22-2019, 10:47 AM   #132
RCC Addict

I had grease, but as msot people do, I used my own. Also my own loctite. If I had known how slack the bearings were in some of the gears I would have had some bearing fit lost its as well. Got it know and will use it first time I strip down. (If I ever do).
Old 03-22-2019, 11:38 AM   #133

Wrong part included in the servo saver bag. Got two horns, one of which doesn't seem to belong in the kit. Unfortunately, the opposite half of the correct horn to complete the servo saver was not in the bag. So there is that to deal with now.

The build continues...

Last edited by Captain_Torquepants; 03-22-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #134
RCC Addict

I haven't dropped my servo down yet using spacers like Jason did. Maybe try that and use a normal arm?
Old 03-22-2019, 01:20 PM   #135
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Wrong part included in the servo saver bag. Got two horns, one of which doesn't seem to belong in the kit. Unfortunately, the opposite half of the correct horn to complete the servo saver, was not in the bag. So there is that to deal with now.

The build continues...
That was exactly what I had in mine. Did you get all 4 body posts? I only got 3.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:49 PM   #136

Eh... crap. Haven't got that far yet. Just made it to the frame.

Tried a big 1/8th scale Kimbrough servo saver but it hits the frame. A new arm will need some extra height to it or dropping down a bit, as mentioned above. I'll look into that.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:10 PM   #137

I did get all four body posts. I'm pretty much finished with the kit now. This was an interesting build. Very different from any kit I've built before. It has lots of screws that are just slightly longer than others so it's very easy to use them where you shouldn't. I threw some temporary electronics in it to get it all set up. The better stuff should be here next week. I love the electronics layout. I found 4 spacers in some old Tamiya sprues so I was able to move servo down a bit to use the big Kimbrough without hitting the frame. I robbed my CR-01 of its wheels and tires but the front tires are rubbing the plates that the steering linkage connects to. If I can find some wheel spacers, I'll be crawling tonight. Otherwise I'll have to wait a few more days.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:12 PM   #138
RCC Addict

Quote:
Eh... crap. Haven't got that far yet. Just made it to the frame.

Tried a big 1/8th scale Kimbrough servo saver but it hits the frame. A new arm will need some extra height to it or dropping down a bit, as mentioned above. I'll look into that.
Ditch the servo savers completely, I wouldn't even bother fitting the Kimbrough.

Just use an aluminum horn and shim the servo down 3-5mm.

imo, a servo saver has no place in a crawler at all, they should only ever be used on a basher/go-fast rig..
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #139
RCC Addict

I shimmed my servo down 5mm as all the other shims I had were too small. Works fine now, but check the steering tie rod doesn't hit the horn.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:09 PM   #140
Rock Crawler

My kit was also missing the servo saver parts but not worried. I agree that the saver has no place being there. Just shim it and all will be good

Venture SBK - Scale Builder Kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith Spawn Builder Kit? UTVUGRUSTY Newbie General 10 05-31-2016 06:53 PM
wraith rtr/builder kit , ax10 ridgecrest or scx10 kit hocho/dingo xC Pirates Newbie General 9 06-09-2012 06:54 AM
NFMH First Scale Venture Nitrofreakmanho Axial SCX-10 27 11-25-2011 02:50 AM