Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Starting My WK Build...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Cool Starting My WK Build...

Ok, I'm done lurking around the forums. I bought my WK about a week ago and so far I'm really happy with the little sucker. The only thing that I've modded is locking my rear diff with RCguy lockers, planing on locking the front once my parts are all in. I'm still waiting for some of my parts to get here.

I'm planing on doing a 4 link setup, stretched to 12.5 and moving the servo OTA using JOWETTS servo mount.

I'm also trying to figure out what tires I'm going to run, anyone have any comments on the different tires. I was thinking of the Losi Rock Claws or the IMEX Rubicons.
------------------------
Ok small update i got a Novak 55t motor and I'm planing on getting the rooster ESC.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to do my 4-Link setup I have some ideas of how i can fab up a mount.

I'll posted pictures of my crawler once i get my parts in.

Last edited by Statix; 02-19-2008 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Updates
Statix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2008, 05:17 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Talking Few Pictures of me working on my WK

Just a few pictures i snapped during my rear lower links install I'm using 6-32 all thread with 1/4 aluminum tubing with a .035 wall and Dubro heavy-duty ball links. I'm still waiting for more parts to get in. (LHS don't have any of the stuff I need, I have one thats going to start ordering more for me.)

Tell me what you think...

Old 02-21-2008, 06:32 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Sounds like you have all the right bits coming, should be good
simon170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Question New shell for the WK?

I've been looking around at bodies for my WK and i would really like to find one that is like my 99 Blazer the closest I've found is the Venom Suburban.

Heres a picture:

I can live with the green flames but there so over done nowadays. Plus i don't think I've seen this body on the forums, I could be wrong LOL.

Tell me what you think...

Last edited by Statix; 02-21-2008 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Bad coding
Old 02-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #5

http://www.clodparts.com/catagories/bodys.html

Hey Statix check out that page, not sure if its the right year Blazer but there is one about half way down.
TXmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Wink Thanks 4 the site

Thanks for the site. it might work its more of a mid ninety's K1500 blazer and i have the little S10 Blazer (better than a van LOL)... Dunno I'm still looking but thanks again for the great site.

Later
Old 02-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #7

Looks like a good build so far,
what motor are you planning on using?

My experience has been that the integy 65T lathe works really well in the WK.
Have fun building your WK and keep us updated!
clod freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:38 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

I have a Novak 55t crawler that should be in the mail box sometime today or tomorrow. You never know I might want to go with a higher turn rate later down the road... I also have a set of Pro-Line 8 Shooters that should be here too I still don't know about the tires I'm going to run...

Losi Rock Claws Or Imex Rubicons

Thanks for checking my build out I know theres not may pictures but I'm on 56k still BLAH! plus I work the night shift...

Later
Old 02-22-2008, 06:46 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Clod Freak, hows that Gmade like i was looking at buying the Stealth chassis for a custom build but its like $95 just for the chassis bag LOL and thats not even with the chassis cover which is another $25+
Old 02-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Talking Links Done

Well I got the lower links done and the upper 3 link done I'm going to be fabing a mount for the 4 uppers tonight. Plus working on the servo mount (First mount looked like crap LOL) since the stock steering is now pointless, Faces Left all the time, good for NASCAR not for rock crawling...

Here's a Picture of the Lower Links:

One of the Novak 55t Crawler.

Few of me playing around in the front room.

I back it up on my son's trike

Wheel base is 11.75" now and I didn't post a picture of the Pro-Line 8 shooters. I think I'm going to just pick up a set of MOABs for right now, and try to flip the chassis later, dunno depends on the day and how it works out for time...

Later

Last edited by Statix; 02-24-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

nice job, them links look pretty beefy, shoulndt have any problems with them!
rockeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Cool Update

OK, I got the servo mount done... Stock servo SUCKS! LOL, I was already planning on buying a HiTec HS-645MG next time I'm at my LHS plus a set of Moabs since the stock mud thrashers are just so bulky. Plus my Pro-Line 8 shooters need some rubber.

Heres some more pictures:

Side view of the chassis.

Front view of the servo mount [Jowetts].

Another front view from above.

Poser!! ROM-Crawlin'

Well thats it for now I'm going to try to get some pictures of it in action but the weather is being retarded around here. Too bad the old 1:1 rock crawling park is closed I'd go there and show off a 1:12 Rock Crawler LOL

I think I'm going to flip the chassis tomorrow and get the plans started to make a custom chassis for the WK.

Later I'll update when i get the 8-shooter mounted..
Old 02-24-2008, 06:43 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

hey looks good, i think im gonna redo my servo mount like yours... does it hit anything when flexing?
rockeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:25 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Wink Servo Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockeater View Post
hey looks good, i think im gonna redo my servo mount like yours... does it hit anything when flexing?
It Leans on the Springs in a very hard Flex but does not hang up them, it also hits the stock bumper but its not really that big of deal it just stops the shocks from fully compressing just about a 1/4 of an inch. Even with that big servo saver on the front i can take a head run at a wall and go up it.

Here's a link to Jowetts Servo mount, so you don't have to dig through the servo mount thread:

http://www.jowettskustom.com/freebie...rvo_mount.html

Follow the directions on the print out.

my mount was fun to make with just a Dremel.

Later
Old 02-29-2008, 06:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statix View Post
Clod Freak, hows that Gmade like i was looking at buying the Stealth chassis for a custom build but its like $95 just for the chassis bag LOL and thats not even with the chassis cover which is another $25+
Well to be honest, its a lot higher quality that I thought it was going to be.
The chassis is nicely built, the axles seem to be tough. And MAN are the links HUGE! lol.. So I am really happy with it.

Your WK build seems to be coming together nicely!
clod freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Wink Back at it again

Ok been neglecting the thread for a little bit, well I cut out Offroader5 Manta chassis today with my trusty Dremel and a Roto bit, and made a holy hell mess but it was fun. I have to say i like the chassis i have not started building on the chassis yet since I'm going to replace the stock WK transmission with a AX-10 Locked Tranny. I'll post pictures tomorrow of the chassis.

I'm also going to have to make a new servo mount since the 22Ga steel bent outta whack real bad, don't help the 645MG was the reason it bent . I'm going to use a old computer case that i have laying around thats made outta 18Ga cold rolled steel, hopefully thats enough to stop the bending ... i also mounted up my M2 MOABs on my 8 Shooters, i cut the foams in half, the foams were too big for the 1.2" rims. I also had to drill a hold in the rims to help the air get out since the really didn't let much air out.

I'll post more pictures tomorrow.

Well Later
Old 03-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Talking More Pictures ! ! !

OK here are the pictures i promised yesterday. I moved the links so they are now triangulated with the new upper links (I think thats right LOL). I made a upper link mount with two old E-Maxx drive shaft yolks, i seen the idea somewhere on here (Plus I'm watching my funds right now).

> The New Link Layout.

> Cheap Four Link Mount (Old E-Maxx Yolk).

> Pro-Line 8-Shooter W/ Pro-Line M2 MOABs.

> Offroader5's Manta Chassis (Made with a Dremel and a Roto Bit).

Some Posers:

> Tire wrapping around the edge of the CD-Rom.

> Seeing how much flex the front end has, using old CD-Roms.

Well thats all for right now, I'm going to try to get some action shots this week. I have to add some major weight to the front end since I didn't flip the chassis. Tell me what you all think so far...

Later
Old 03-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Looks good so far. Want to see the new chassis when done. What shocks are you going to run?
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:55 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Talking Updates

OK back again with some updates i started mocking up my Manta Chassis, I bought a new set of T-Maxx shocks ( 8 ) from the bay for like 30 bucks. I'm going to run a full droop setup. I just started making my links. Since I'm not going to any comps anytime soon I'm going to run a 13" wheel base and try to get 4WS set up, I'm trying to get a Cheap TQ3 so i don't have to use my Y harness. I'm also going to try to get my hands on a Tekin FX-R (Pro or Not) plus to save a little money I'm going to fab up one of Harley0706 Clocked Motor Plates, I'm going to need more cutting boards LOL

Here's a few pictures:

Top View

Wheel Base

Rear Lower Link With Shock

Side View with Front and Rear Lowers(One Side Only ran out of Ball Ends:-()

I think I'm also going to make a widow chassis since i like the over all design of the chassis. I'm going to test the manta out when ever i get time to finish it up. Props go out to Offroader for the chassis patterns

Tell me what you think I'm open to Ideas from everyone

Later
Old 04-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Talking Manta Update

Ok, I got some more rod ends. I decided not to get my Dubro HD ball links, instead I got a couple of packs of Traxxas #1942 and tap them to take my 6-32 all thread which turned out to be better than I thought. I'm still trying to make up my mind which transmission I'm going to get or if I'm going to make the clocked motor plate... I'm going to tinker with the motor plate today if i get time.

I'm going to set this manta up as a rock racer since thats what it really reminds me of, I'm also not going to use my idea of 4WS for the Manta. I'm going to save that setup for the widow build coming up soon after the Manta is finished.

I've also started designing my own chassis which is still a work in progress. I'll post ideas later when I get the rough drafts finished up, I'm planning on working around the idea of trail riders with duel shock mounts dunno yet it's still rolling around in my head.

Here's a few pictures of the work so far... Notice the next victim of my Dremel as my back drop...

> Side view of the mock up.

> Another side view of the chassis

> Top view of the chassis and the links

> View of the rear four link mount made from another yolk

Well thats all for right now, tell me what you all think.

Later