Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Crawler King....My 1st crawler build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #41
wyd
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Crawler King....My 1st crawler build

It was nice out so I took my CK out in front of the hobbyshop and did a little crawling on our rocks around the flower beds. Been a long time since i used my CK but man it was a good time. Took a few quick pics out on the rocks. It was nice and sunny out so even my phone took pretty good pics.

wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #42

Is there a performance benefit by have the steering servo mounted at an angle like that? I have a front mount on my CK but the servo is parallel to the axle. To me it seems as though you would lose some articulation by mounting it that way.

I love the purple and black body by the way!

Sent from My HTC Rezound
sick70malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #43
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick70malibu View Post
Is there a performance benefit by have the steering servo mounted at an angle like that? I have a front mount on my CK but the servo is parallel to the axle. To me it seems as though you would lose some articulation by mounting it that way.

I love the purple and black body by the way!

Sent from My HTC Rezound
I'm not sure if its better or worse but it don't hit my chassis at all because the axle only moves left and right and not straight up and down. I thought it was going to hit when I first put it on but when I crawl with it the servo never hits anything. It is a mount made and sold by CK Crawlers. I really like the way it looks but it also works great with my Savox 419oz steering servo.

https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ckrc-al...it-p-2279.html
Old 12-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #44
wyd
Rock Crawler

Been working so much on my Losi 22 SC, Losi 22 buggy and then my Slash 4x4 that I have not had much time to work on my CK. I'm going to add a few new things to to the body like a roof rack and maybe some other odds and ends.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #45

Looking good brother, I am on the board now.
Dialed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #46
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialed View Post
Looking good brother, I am on the board now.
Awesome to see you on this website. Lots of great information about tons of different crawlers and misc. stuff for them. I learned a good amount about fixing my HPI from this site and the members. I did the things they mention and made my crawler way better for very little money. The bling parts are all me but the tranny and axle gear upgrades where from here and have been bullet proof since I changed a few things. Was out Friday for 45 minutes on those mulch piles and mainly that dirt pile that was a blast to make trails in.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #47

Sounds good... I checked my stock pile and have some river rock and other stone I could bring out. Can we scout the grounds out there, I bet he has alot laying around over there. I will be out wednesday night and we can look around out there.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #48
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialed View Post
Sounds good... I checked my stock pile and have some river rock and other stone I could bring out. Can we scout the grounds out there, I bet he has alot laying around over there. I will be out wednesday night and we can look around out there.
Sure we can do that. Your truck is on its way. Not sure when the order went thru but I know it will be here either Wed and if not Thur for sure. It showed our order shipped out I thought today or Monday.

Going to try a different motor in my today. Going to put my Castle 4600 but not the 4 pole version, just the original 2 pole just to see how it feels. I have it and costs me nothing so thought I would try it out.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #49
RCC Addict

You will probably lose some slow speed control with that brushless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Sure we can do that. Your truck is on its way. Not sure when the order went thru but I know it will be here either Wed and if not Thur for sure. It showed our order shipped out I thought today or Monday.

Going to try a different motor in my today. Going to put my Castle 4600 but not the 4 pole version, just the original 2 pole just to see how it feels. I have it and costs me nothing so thought I would try it out.
We will head out tomorrow just to make sure it is in, I ordered the tekin crawler set up should be here Friday. Hey put that Savax servo aside for me I will pick that up with it too.

Thanks for all your help...
Old 04-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #51
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamargue View Post
You will probably lose some slow speed control with that brushless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
I did loose a little control but since its for play and not for comps thats ok. All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!! This thing is insane now if I turn thing up to full power. I only used full power when I was climbing some mulch piles so I could make it too the top. The wheels where spinning like made and the mulch was flying. Under normal us on hard pack as not to rip up my tranny I cut it back to 70% on the EPA and then the power is turned to 80% on the speedo. Drag brakes I have set at 40% and feels really good for me overall.

Its not perfect but overall I'm looking for fun and this put my CK over the top IMO. I can still crawl pretty well and climbs better than ever with the added wheel speed. If I want to get more insane with it I now have the ability to do so. Best thing as well is it cost me $0 as I aleady have 2 4600 2 pole motors from way back just sitting around and I have a few Sidewinder SV2 speedos sitting around so it works out perfect for me. I'm not saying its perfect but what I will say this thing is at a new level and taken my fun level up 100% more than before.

With the new setup I can go from mild to wild with a change in the EPA on the radio. Its totally up to me if I want to set it up where I can rip the tranny apart and axles if I want or I can tame it down and just cruise around but either way I'm having a blast with my CK. Its the only thing I have that is not for racing and the only thing I have that is not for the track only. What a great all around play truck/crawler.

If I want to make it a better crawler with a little more control I have a few Mamba Max Pros I can use and out a sensored motor in but right now I will just use 100% of the stuff I have sitting around and enjoy myself.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #52

Hey you guys doing any trailing out there? I would like to stop out with the wraith.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #53

Also my lap top wont bring up the Tekin program, do you still have it on your lap top?
Old 05-31-2013, 11:47 AM   #54
wyd
Rock Crawler

Me and Tim do some running around at the end of the shop around the creek. Tim is making a Bamboo bridge for use that is like 20ft long.

We have the Tekin program on the shop computer but not sure if Chris has a Tekin hook up around since I have not used it in a long time.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #55
Pebble Pounder

Hey wyd- really like your WK. The paint job and the shiny bits look great!
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #56
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
Hey wyd- really like your WK. The paint job and the shiny bits look great!
Thanks. I been running it for the last few months without any real changes. Its been bullet proof and just been a ton of fun. I actually have it sitting in one of the show cases at Bumps and Jumps hobby shop I work at part time. Need to actually clean it up good and just go over it since I ran it a ton this summer.

Going to start working on I think a new Axial SCX10 with all STRC parts on it. Steve at STRC makes really nice hop up parts for many of different cars/truck/crawlers. Been running his stuff for a few years now on my 2wd Slash, 4wd Slash and my Crawler King. Now looking to go and try those new parts on an Axial. Next few weeks will be starting to work on one of those. Should be a lot of fun. Once I get everything lined up I will be starting a new thread for my build.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:00 AM   #57
wyd
Rock Crawler

I have not changed much on my Crawler King during the late fall and early winter. I have been just using it a ton and have had zero problems after my first round of modifications and just been enjoying running it around. Very happy with it overall for a first crawler (fun crawler for me) as I don't do comps. Bought it just to mess around when I didn't have time to spend all day racing r/c and was just what the doctor ordered. Very few mods to make it a bullet proof fun crawler. Been great bang for the buck.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #58
wyd
Rock Crawler

Just ordered a new 35 turn motor for my Crawler King to now I can start messing with it again. Just seemed when I went to order from Great Planes then didn't have what I wanted in stock but they do now so will be back in business in a few days.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:23 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Love my Jr8711 has performed great for me super torque smooth has gotten me out of situations. Highly recommend
rcaholic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #60
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaholic13 View Post
Love my Jr8711 has performed great for me super torque smooth has gotten me out of situations. Highly recommend
Jr has always made some nice servos over the years. I use to race with them all the time about 10 years ago.

Crawler King....My 1st crawler build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camo's Mall Crawler 1st scaler build camobob 2.2 Scale Rigs 5 02-04-2011 03:45 PM
1st crawler build from parts I've collected. mr_manny General Crawlers 30 08-23-2008 09:54 PM
1st Crawler - MFM Build - 'lorra Pics! petrolhead Tamiya TLT Crawlers 18 01-21-2008 01:35 PM
1st tlt crawler build eyerace Newbie General 5 08-06-2006 08:51 PM
1st Crawler build ever aussie_N_B Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 3 07-04-2006 02:15 AM