Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: need motor + ESC recommendations for stock WK..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 02:10 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default need motor + ESC recommendations for stock WK..

Hi, I have had a good browse of the forums but still unable to find the info im after.

I have a completely stock WK, the motor and battery are dead. I dont mind spending up to about 200 bucks (preferably less) on a new battery, motor and ESC (and whatever else is required to make this setup work)

What is the most powerful motor + ESC + Battery combo I can run in a stock WK without breaking stuff?

I mainly want a little more speed, but i want everything, I also want more torque too for hill climbs!!! and also more battery time.

What else should I upgrade? So far im thinking locked diffs, front servo mount, new waterproof steering servo.

I want a motor that will be all round more powerful than stock, that is definately faster, and hopefully with more torque too, that wont break stuff.

I was looking at the castle creations sidewinder 4600 combo, would this be a good option?

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.
e32lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: need motor + ESC recommendations for stock WK..

you're going to break stuff with the stock set up. Once you start to upgrade you might as well get ready to start replacing parts as well...especially with a 4600kv combo!

pm sent as well.
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

hmm, its tempting. What other componentry would be required to make this brushless system work without immediately busting the wheely king? I understand it probably takes years and lots of experience to build a good truck, but what are the essential upgrades required to strengthen the drivetrain to cope with the brutal power?
e32lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
RCC Addict

battery, gearing and a light trigger finger? In all honesty you could run something like that for years and not break anything depending on how you drive. However, you could install it, set it down on the pavement, nail the gas and break something.

I don't remember much about the wheely king but i think it's got nylon trans gears. That and plastic drivelines are typically first on the list.

lipo batteries can be picked up from hobbyking for decent prices and they have warehouses/ship worldwide
Old 09-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
RCC Addict

The transmission's internal slipper clutch and plastic gears will fail under too much horsepower. The ring/pinion gears will also suffer. That being said, I did beat my stock WK for months on end with an 8.5 brushless system, and it was a blast while it lasted!
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDawg362 View Post
The transmission's internal slipper clutch and plastic gears will fail under too much horsepower. The ring/pinion gears will also suffer. That being said, I did beat my stock WK for months on end with an 8.5 brushless system, and it was a blast while it lasted!
in most cases as long as you don't get it bound up too bad and try to throttle your way out it will last quite a while
Old 09-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #7

I have a 20t motor in mine which is plenty of speed for the wheely king and if you are going to do some crawling its good for that too. I would mount your servo to the front. That servo saver will be the first thing you break if you dont. I use a hitec servo which works great. I kept all the stock gears for now. I dont run my wheely king hard. I use it to crawl and bash around and so far the gears have held up. I have alot of strc parts and I used the level3 front servo mount. I have done a lot of work to mine and its not hard to upgrade and fix to your taste. I hope this helps you out some.
Diggerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I wouldn't go with that castle, too much top end in my opinion. I'm building a wheely king basher right now and am leaning towards a 13.5 turn sensored brushless. Should have good torque plus I'm hoping enough top end to keep me satisfied.
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote

need motor + ESC recommendations for stock WK.. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya TNX 5.2R to brushless electric lipo? recommendations on esc motor combo? bamr33 Non Crawler RC's 1 03-26-2012 10:45 AM
recommendations for motor/esc? YYCADM Axial Wraith 2 09-12-2011 03:42 AM
Recommendations on a motor and ESC dman65 Newbie General 23 02-10-2010 08:08 PM
Recommendations on a motor and ESC dman65 Venom Creeper 11 02-09-2010 08:17 PM
Brushless Motor, ESC, and Cell-Count Recommendations skeeler Axial AX-10 Scorpion 15 08-25-2007 06:22 PM