Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Wheely King Axle Breakdown pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2007, 08:14 AM   #141
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRummy
You MIGHT be able to stretch the wheelbase to around 10.5" using the stock sliders but that would be getting close. There wouldn't be much material hooked together and could be pretty week. Maxx drive shafts will fit right onto the pinion shaft and the tranny output shaft. I stretched my WK to 12.5" using the maxx drive shafts. I had to cut the drive shafts down about 1/4" but it only took 5 minutes with the dremel.
I agree, the stock drive shafts aren't able to be extended much.

An interesting side note... the Maxx shafts and WK shafts are exactly the same, you can slide one half of the Maxx shaft into the other half of a WK shaft for example. This might make it possible to combine other parts, either for extending wheelbase or just for buying less parts.

For example, get this: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?FVSEARCH=4951 and combine it with the stock parts.

Last edited by swhenrik; 03-05-2007 at 08:19 AM.
swhenrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2007, 08:42 AM   #142
RCC Addict

Just make sure you get the yokes that are for the emaxx tranny or for the diff output because I learned from JIA that the yokes for the Tmaxx tranny are 5mm and will NOT work!
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:49 AM   #143
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRummy
Just make sure you get the yokes that are for the emaxx tranny or for the diff output because I learned from JIA that the yokes for the Tmaxx tranny are 5mm and will NOT work!

Hmm. Interesting. So if I want to make the wb longer, I need different sliders. I've got links to T-Maxx sliders, and advice that I only want E-Maxx sliders, and everyone else is talking about revo sliders.

So, which do I want?
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:58 AM   #144
RCC Addict

I used these.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDDS6&P=ML

and these

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...51&FVPROFIL=++

you DO NOT want these.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDDT2&P=ML

Last edited by NickRummy; 03-05-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #145
Quarry Creeper

I used Revo shafts which slide right on after a bit of work, but they are big in diameter = stout though!
Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:51 PM   #146
Pebble Pounder

I picked up a set of Revo shafts. That's also what JIA used on Ralph 2.5. But they are HUGE compared to the Maxx shafts, I had no idea til I had them both in my hand. Maxx shafts are the same size as the WK shafts.
swhenrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:21 PM   #147
Quarry Creeper

aight, that answers that question. I have half of the equation. I'll get there eventually.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:56 PM   #148
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotharyus
aight, that answers that question. I have half of the equation. I'll get there eventually.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTO0150P this is what youll need. rtr 4x4 for under 300 wow
cammok5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:04 AM   #149
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammok5
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTO0150P this is what youll need. rtr 4x4 for under 300 wow

That link doesn't load anything? Anyhow, I've got a WK I'm mutilating over here already. I want my wife to make faces while she examines my engineering feats, not shoot me for buying another truck!
Old 03-06-2007, 06:46 AM   #150
RCC Addict

I have everything i need to make it 4wheel drive except the axle shafts which are on back order everywhere.....I did pick up hardened gears for both diffs So no broken diffs here
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:49 PM   #151
20K Club

This is related to the axles and since it is a stick hopefully people will be able to find them here in the future.

WK Servo mounts templates for downloading (free).
Just PM me and I will send you the template, you can cut them out and make your own servo mount.

Standard

Behind the Axle - BTA

Hope it helps people
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:19 AM   #152
RCC Addict

Looks good Josh! I personally wouldn't put that bend on the opposite side of the servo but I guess it would be nice to have it there in case you want to mount a battery pack huh?
Old 03-26-2007, 10:38 AM   #153
20K Club

yeah that bend is only there incase you want it for batteries or whatever else. If someone is fabbing them themselves it will be really easy to disinclude.

Again, thanks for modeling the axles, they are a huge help.

Josh
Old 03-26-2007, 11:29 AM   #154
RCC Addict

Lets just hope I did them accurately huh? We'll see when someone uses a template and tries to make one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
yeah that bend is only there incase you want it for batteries or whatever else. If someone is fabbing them themselves it will be really easy to disinclude.

Again, thanks for modeling the axles, they are a huge help.

Josh
Old 03-26-2007, 11:34 AM   #155
20K Club

Actually a machinest that we all know on here is going to cut a couple. Since I don't have a WK yet though I may have to give mine to someone to test. And heck if they don't get your dremel out and stop being a little girl. Haha.

Josh
Old 03-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #156
RCC Addict

you can give one to me!!!! I have a spare axle housing sitting here I can bolt one up to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Actually a machinest that we all know on here is going to cut a couple. Since I don't have a WK yet though I may have to give mine to someone to test. And heck if they don't get your dremel out and stop being a little girl. Haha.

Josh
Old 03-27-2007, 01:49 AM   #157
Rock Stacker

The only downside to these axles is the dogbones are super weak (The shaft from the diff to the knuckle). I broke 1 in 2 battery packs of non-harsh driving, and they are virtually impossible to find replacements of at this point. If anyone knows where to get them, let me know! I did this with my bone stock truck. I havent been able to drive it, so I canabalized another WK I bought to make this one 4WD (Well 3WD untill I can find replacement shafts anyway), and have been modding it since, but havent driven it because I cant find any more axles, and 3WD doesn't excite me that much.
patatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:01 AM   #158
RCC Addict

Are you still running the stock motor? If so I don't know why you are having problems. I've been thrashing on mine and haven't broke any drive train parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patatron View Post
The only downside to these axles is the dogbones are super weak (The shaft from the diff to the knuckle). I broke 1 in 2 battery packs of non-harsh driving, and they are virtually impossible to find replacements of at this point. If anyone knows where to get them, let me know! I did this with my bone stock truck. I havent been able to drive it, so I canabalized another WK I bought to make this one 4WD (Well 3WD untill I can find replacement shafts anyway), and have been modding it since, but havent driven it because I cant find any more axles, and 3WD doesn't excite me that much.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:07 AM   #159
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRummy View Post
Are you still running the stock motor? If so I don't know why you are having problems. I've been thrashing on mine and haven't broke any drive train parts.
It was bone stock when this happened. But I have a feeling it was a factory defect, because this is the piece I pulled out...

I am assuming that the drive pin was half missing like that from the get go, and that the torque on that one side of the pin caused the actual axle to snap.
patatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:32 AM   #160
Rock Crawler

Default .

I Would Email HPI

They Amazed Me When They Started Sending Out All 4 Control Arms For The Hell Fire For Free

It's Worth The Email Takes You 10 Seconds To Do

They Might Send You A Replacement For Free

Even If You Already Bought One A Free Back Up Would Be Nice To Have

Give It A Shot
tmaxxking1 is offline   Reply With Quote