Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Wheely King Clocked Motor Plate Template

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2007, 10:57 PM   #61
20K Club

A dual plate would be amazingly simple, just cut two copys out and and flip one backwards. Since the tranny is symetrical there are no worries. I actually thought about doing two motors but I just went brushless instead.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2007, 05:36 PM   #62
Rock Stacker

Natedog: thanks of the kind words.. I had gone thru several configs. and about three pcs. of aluminum.. I did make sure I had some "air venting" holes to keep her cool..........
slowcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:59 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Slowcrawl,

You won't have any cooling problems especially with that motor mount. Once you have your chassis and mounting all worked out, I'd either trim it down on the top and/or drill/cut/machine some lightening holes in it near the top to keep your COG as low as possible.

Out of curiosity and wanting the lowest gearing possible with the stock WK tranny, I bought a RRP 9 tooth pinion (RRP # 0090)

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEW94&P=7

this morning and test fitted it...works with a Kimbrough 66 tooth spur gear! Kinda weird, I guess the modelling software isn't accounting for slight variations in each gear manufacturers tolerances or something. With my 65T lathe motor all the way up against the side of the WK tranny housing it fits and is even a little bit tight (no backlash at all). I'm going to buy a 64 tooth spur today and see how that is.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:43 PM   #64
20K Club

Glad to hear it all worked out like that. Modeling is not exact, but it gets us damn close.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:11 PM   #65
Rock Stacker

Default Clocked motor

The spur is 48 pitch 92T & pinion is 21T running the Matrix Pro Lathe Motor 55T.........I ran this in the all stock WK setup. It was a really good combo VS the stock setup. The new mount will go into a new chasssis...........
slowcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:39 AM   #66

I actually managed to convert the original motor plate into a 90 degree clocked motor plate in under an hour. It worked flawlessly, however it did require shaving down the side of one screw slightly to allow the motor to fit close enough to the tranny. Not sure if thats an issue with the plate you guys are making or not. If anyone is interested let me know, I can post pictures/measurements of where to drill and dremel.
Krylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:47 AM   #67
20K Club

You can just use the template to do that actually. If you just cut out the template, lay it on the original piece and cut out the holes. Makes it much easier then having to guess little by little. You could have it done as fast as you could cut it basiclly. The up side to using this template and making a nice plate instead of the stock one is that you are allowed more area for mounting. With the motor clocked you obviously loose mounting positions, this has plenty of area to fix that. This template will still be very useful and make it much easier to customize the stock plate.

Josh

Last edited by Harley; 05-07-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:39 AM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
You can just use the template to do that actually. If you just cut out the template, lay it on the original place and cut out the holes. Makes it much easier then having to guess little by little. You could have it done as fast as you could cut it basiclly. The up side to using this template and making a nice plate instead of the stock one is that you are allowed more area for mounting. With the motor clocked you obviously loose mounting positions, this has plenty of area to fix that. This template will still be very useful and make it much easier to customize the stock plate.

Josh
Exactly what I used the template for...works great!
Old 05-07-2007, 04:42 PM   #69
RCC Addict

I sent email to harley's posted addy, but maybe it missed, can I get a copy of the template? thanks.

theerbo@gmail.com
hairba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:19 PM   #70
20K Club

I hardly ever get a message caught in my spam filter but I will check. I will send a copy your way either way.

Josh
Old 05-07-2007, 06:37 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Josh, thanks man, i got the templates , i will get to work on them sometime this week and post pics of the results, thanks again
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:52 PM   #72
20K Club

Hey no problem at all!

Who is the fool who rated the template threads low?!?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:26 PM   #73
RCC Addict

Quote:
I checked the paper template against the design and concluded that Adobe PDF Maker actually shinks the print by almost 5%.

Josh
so do I print out at 105%, or play with it and make it work, or did you fix the scaling, or is the 1:0.9 scale on the print correct?
would that make it 111% to get full size?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 05-08-2007, 03:27 PM   #74
20K Club

The problem was address and the new templates are at the correct scale. nothing for you to do but print it out.

josh
Old 05-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hey no problem at all!

Who is the fool who rated the template threads low?!?
Probably some dipstick with nothing better to do...lol...offset that by rating it high, as it should be...lol.

Quote:
The problem was address and the new templates are at the correct scale. nothing for you to do but print it out.

josh
Yup, worked great for me!
Old 05-08-2007, 05:09 PM   #76
RCC Addict

sweet, thanks, I figure I'm going to cut this out of aluminum, then mount it on top of the stock plate. this will give me dual motor action. I have the tranny and motor laying on it's side now, so I will effectivly be raising the cg with the template, but keeping it lower than if the tranny stood upright. that should solve the power problem, then upgraded esc, bigger batt, beefier tranny, stickier tires, better axles......
Old 05-08-2007, 05:23 PM   #77
Rock Crawler

whats a good gear set up for some more torque but also wheel speed for mud if useing the 27t motor?
cammok5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:38 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

9/66 32 pitch is working for me.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:42 PM   #79
20K Club

I would just spend the money and get yourself a good lathe motor. I have one I will send to you pretty cheap if you just want to try a 55t integy.

Josh
Old 05-08-2007, 07:59 PM   #80
Rock Crawler

i think the 55 would be toooo slow. if i buy a new motor i think id go with a 35t but im not to sure couse i still want speed.

oh btw ygpm
cammok5 is offline   Reply With Quote