Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: A 1:6th scale '41 Willys build...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #61
RCC Addict

Looks real nice Mike, still lovin the color too. Your axle work is great, I might be hitting you up for more info on this in the future.

I have similar pics like that of the 1:1 as well, good job at getting yours there.
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Wowzers! That's a nice looking Willys. Great job!
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:37 PM   #63
RCP CRAWLERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Thanks!

Thanks dude.

I used 3/16" brake line, the axles fit inside perfectly once I removed the ridge left by the tubing cutter. No jigging required other than making sure the length was right.

My tires are already here!! If everyone took care of business the way RCP does, the world would be a better place.

This 1:1 Jeep has been my inspiration as I have built and shopped for parts...

...and here's mine as it sits now...

Not far off at all!!

Damn, I haven't been this stoked about a build since my first TLT...

Front axle pic. It shows the difference between the fronts and rears, inside they are indentical. It has to be shorter and drilled/tapped for the C's, and the C's hold the axles in the housings so no retainer needed inside. Other than that they are the same part...

And a quick, un-forced poser shot. It'll go a little farther if the terrain forces it. Should be good to go out on the trail!

Damn I love it when a plan comes together!!!
thats a great inspiration!
damn that thing has a lot of articulation
We need a Willys get together...maybe something in the middle of the country.
next year the Nationals are supposed to be in Alabama
maybe we can meet there and then...just a thought
ZoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevildemo View Post
Looks real nice Mike, still lovin the color too. Your axle work is great, I might be hitting you up for more info on this in the future.

I have similar pics like that of the 1:1 as well, good job at getting yours there.
Thank you! If I can be of any help to any of you guys, all you have to do is ask...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
Wowzers! That's a nice looking Willys. Great job!
n00b!! Thanks man much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo View Post
thats a great inspiration!
damn that thing has a lot of articulation
We need a Willys get together...maybe something in the middle of the country.
next year the Nationals are supposed to be in Alabama
maybe we can meet there and then...just a thought
Thanks ZoSo. A "1/6th Jeep Nationals" would be a very unique event if we could pull it off. Maybe Alabama would work out good for a lot of us.

That's what hooked me in the first place - y'alls videos of 4 or 6 Jeeps running together...

It got really crowded in the engine bay over the last hour. Tekin FX-R, Castle BEC, Spektrum RX, and a TrakPower 3S 1600 mah LiPo. The micro servo for the wheel is bolted up behind the dash and it's linkage is made up, hopefully 14 oz. is enough for the task.

Not too bad for not cutting any wires (everything came straight out of my SCX10)

Waiting for the transfer case. I want to get it in place and take some real measurements before I pull the trigger on driveshafts...

Last edited by Big Mike; 09-15-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Damn, it's almost ready to move under its own power! Are you gonna box in a battery box around the firewall area?

I bet I could get DonsATV to meet up when you get yours running, his Jeep is a blast to watch roll over things. Our club affectionately refers to it as the 'tractor'

I'm all for a 1/6th Willys GTG. Maybe at Red Rocks next year? That's the middle of the U.S. and it wouldn't be so stinking humid in Colorado (compared to Alabama)

Last edited by BigSki; 09-16-2011 at 06:42 PM.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Great looking build. I think a 1:6th jeep willy's is a must build in this hobby. All around alot of fun with them.
spiderxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderxx View Post
Great looking build. I think a 1:6th jeep willy's is a must build in this hobby. All around alot of fun with them.
Thanks. Although not for the uninitiated build-wise, they are fun. It's been on my must-build list for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Damn, it's almost ready to move under its own power! Are you gonna box in a battery box around the firewall area?

I bet I could get DonsATV to meet up when you get yours running, his Jeep is a blast to watch roll over things. Our club affectionately refers to it as the 'tractor'

I'm all for a 1/6th Willys GTG. Maybe at Red Rocks next year? That's the middle of the U.S. and it wouldn't be so stinking humid in Colorado (compared to Alabama)
A transfer case, driveshafts, suspension tuning, the list of stuff to do is definitely getting short. Yes, some sort of "firewall" will have to be made, just for appearances if nothing else. Still waiting for the driver too.

I'll come meet you guys about anywhere in the D.C. Baltimore areas within reason. And something like Redrocks would be really epic if A) 5 or more Jeeps could make it and B) it gets fully documented. I've been to Redrocks, but never with an RC it's gotta be fun there. Moab would be sweet too. Boulder City Nevada, right down the road from Vegas, there's a place there called Bootleg Canyon that would be utterly epic...

Last edited by Big Mike; 09-19-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #68
Pebble Pounder

Man...

That's one helluva nice build. I love the steering set-up and the widened axles. Most impressive.

I've been working on one too since Moses was a toddler. I just need to get off my ass and finish it.

It's actually a rebuild of a "quickie" I tossed together when my kids were little. That one just had a hot-ass motor spinning a straight rear axle. When I built it, there were no good tires to be had, so I had to go with knobby buggy tires. It looked kind of silly, but man that thing would move.

When scale straight axles came around, I knew I had to rebuild it as a 4x4. Besides, my kids are grown now and don't play with toys much anymore.

The Jeep I started with was an old Soldier Story Jeep. Not nearly as detailed as the Hasbro ones that came a couple of years later. While I have one of those too (for a future build), I stuck with the old one since it was hacked up already.

Didn't really mean to get bogged down in all that, but I had to stop in and tell you "real nice job."
dadrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:06 AM   #69
aub

Looks to nice! bet you can't wait to get it out on the rocks! I just finished mine and I'm loving it even if it does not look as good as yours.1
aub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #70
I wanna be Dave

The 'ol Willys looks a little better with a hot driver...

She needs a little bit of fine-tuning. Her elbows are gonna have to loosen up some, and she needs some butt trimming to make her fit in the seat better. I think she'll work out though...
Old 09-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

that is one very neat build
kunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunas View Post
that is one very neat build
Thanks man! It has been an adventure. It's all pretty much full-custom, which can get very frustrating.

I should've known the stock steering wheel was going to be the weak link. Too flimsy. And besides my new driver told me it was too big for her liking anyway.

So a couple hours of cutting, filing, drilling, tweaking, brazing, polishing and painting gets us a 1:6th copy of the old J.C. Whitney "chrome-and-foam" steering wheel...

Much more stylish. And a more appropriate size. She's a lot happier with this wheel.

3/16" brakeline, bent to shape around a large bearing. The center is 1/16" sheet steel.

Loosening up the joints on her arms was an adventure in itself, I had to disassemble her (scary) do some trimming and relieving inside, and reassemble. Now she does not add any significant load to the servo anymore.

Last edited by Big Mike; 09-24-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #73
RCC Addict

Awesome wheel !!
I tried making one for mine and failed miserably. You sir, nailed it !

The shoulder joints can be a pain, I did the same to my driver while I had him apart for the head servo mod.
Keep up the good work, all custom makes it that much better.
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

Here's how I gave my driver an 'artificial Joint' to help with the steering wheel action.

Your steering wheel looks dead on, great job!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #75
RCP CRAWLERS

yes.... nice steering wheel
ZoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevildemo View Post
Awesome wheel !!
I tried making one for mine and failed miserably. You sir, nailed it !
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Here's how I gave my driver an 'artificial Joint' to help with the steering wheel action.
Your steering wheel looks dead on, great job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo View Post
yes.... nice steering wheel
Thanks guys. I just Vise-Gripped a section of brakeline to the outside of a bearing I have sitting around here. I was sure it was just gonna mash flat or kink or something, but lo and behold I bent it all the way around and then some in one fell swoop and made a perfect circle then cut across it w/ a hacksaw and bent the ends together and brazed it shut.

The way most of her joints are designed makes them reasonably simple to disassemble. Once you pull them out of the socket they are a 2-piece clamshell type affair, you just split them and pull them apart. A little trimming to the inside where the "axle" of the joint goes through is all they needed. There are 2 points on each of her arms now that spin and swivel very freely, and her hands are held on by 1/16" steel pins through holes in the wheel so they are free to move as well. It takes little effort for the tiny 14 oz. micro servo to move the wheel, we'll see what kind of longevity it has. Works pretty good so far...

http://s1106.photobucket.com/albums/...t=MOV00779.mp4

Made a "firewall" out of aluminum sheet stock. It's not the straightest, neatest job, but it is acceptable enough to use. I taped the Castle BEC to the passenger side so it sorta looks like an ignition box. A 3 cell LiPo sits on the velcro patch on the drivers side. And did quite a bit of wire shortening and re-soldering of things to clean up the wiring...

Tapping her new boots on the floorboard, waiting impatiently for her transfer case to arrive. Hopefully today...

Last edited by Big Mike; 09-29-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:08 AM   #77
I wanna be Dave

After looking all over for a 1/6th scale jack and coming up empty, I decided I was going to have to make my own...

Old 09-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Looks great, Mike!!
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Looks great, Mike!!
Thanks TR!

The making-your-own-tools thing is getting easier. I might just stop looking for 1/6th scale stuff on the internet and start making my own.

1/6th scale (roughly) round-point shovel...

Steel blade/shank (1/16" sheet and 3/16" brakeline) and an oak handle (a piece of a pallet slat) Blued and oiled...

Jack with a fresh paint job...

Last edited by Big Mike; 10-01-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #80
Rock Crawler

Jeez.,this is looking better Every Time I check it out. I'm still in awe of how well that cage came out.! You give out quotes.? Have braze will hire?
brokennib is offline   Reply With Quote