Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: A 1:6th scale '41 Willys build...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #101
RCP CRAWLERS

you nail it........
ZoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #102

Default Re: A 1:6th scale '41 Willys build...

Hi, where did you get the WARN winch ??
svaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #103
REST IN ALOHA CHIP

i totally dig this build!! i might apply your front suspension setup to mine! keep it going!! looking good!!
YoUnG_vErSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaras View Post
Hi, where did you get the WARN winch ??
The winch came from TCS Crawlers. It's made by 3Racing. They make 1/8 and 1/10 sizes, if you want a winch for a Willy's like ours make sure you get a 1/8th. If you want one for something like an SCX10 get the 1/10th.
To make it a real "Warn" winch, you have to hit up Bowtie for the very high quality stickers. He makes a sheet with enough stickers to decorate 2 of each size, plus some extras. Well worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by young_version View Post
i totally dig this build!! i might apply your front suspension setup to mine! keep it going!! looking good!!
Thanks. You should! I'm not tryin' to brag (I got lucky) but it works very well...

Last edited by Big Mike; 12-28-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #105
RCC Addict

Dam it Mike.....now I need to work on my front end. You got it perfect. I had nothing but bump steer issues with the chassis mounted servo so I moved mine back to the axle......thanks for giving me a great HOW to on this....I am officially stealing it !!

Saved those pics to computer.

Great job on this one. Now I will be looking forward to your next one....too addicting to stop at one.
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevildemo View Post
Dam it Mike.....now I need to work on my front end. You got it perfect. I had nothing but bump steer issues with the chassis mounted servo so I moved mine back to the axle......thanks for giving me a great HOW to on this....I am officially stealing it !!

Saved those pics to computer.

Great job on this one. Now I will be looking forward to your next one....too addicting to stop at one.
Thanks man. Steal away, it's all you. It's working well for me. The only input I ever see in the front wheels is if I actually pick the whole truck up and let the suspension drop all the way. Then the wheels just slightly tick left a little at the very end of the droop. When it's on it's wheels and moving there's no conflict at all. So much fun to drive, way more than any of the 1/10th scale rigs I've built. I need to get someone to shoot some video of mine running.

I'm looking forward to #2 as well. It might be a while, but it will definitely happen. You're right, you can't stop at just one. I should be on the lookout for the body though, just in case...
Old 12-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #107
RCC Addict

Cool, thanks.
My next one will be one of the Dragon models, something a bit different from what I have.
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #108
Quarry Creeper

This is an awsome rig. Just wondering what is the final width of your axles, not including your wheels, like outside of hex to out side of hex? Also what is the length of your drive shafts front and rear and your links, front and rear?

Last edited by OllllO Fanatic; 01-11-2012 at 12:52 AM.
OllllO Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #109
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllllO Fanatic View Post
This is an awsome rig. Just wondering what is the final width of your axles, not including your wheels, like outside of hex to out side of hex? Also what is the length of your drive shafts front and rear and your links, front and rear?
Thanks Fanatic - cool user name! I like that. Welcome. And from Okinawa! How easy or hard is it for you to get to Hong Kong? I'd love to go to HK with about 10K to drop on RC stuff you can't find in the States. That's where the real drift goods are...

And also thanks for reminding me that I need to take accurate driveshaft measurements before I can hit MIP's website. I'll get some other dimensions while I'm at it.

Ol' Blue got left at home today, I'll bring her to work tomorrow...

Last edited by Big Mike; 01-11-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #110
Quarry Creeper

Hong Kong is a few hours but still cost quite a bit of money to fly to. And I don't believe I'm allowed to go to Hong Kong as Im in the air force and I think its an "off limits" place.The drift cars are pretty popular here on this island, in fact that is all that is here. So I have to get all my items shipped from the states for crawlers and off road stuff so its been getting expensive... but not stopping me, lol. Im actually waiting to here back from a couple places that have GI Joe jeeps. Unfortunately they are pretty pricey now. But hopefully I can get one so I can add it to my already pretty large collection. ANd I look forward to the dimensions, as your build is my favorite one yet. And I have a picture of the same green jeep I've been drooling over for a year or so now.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #111
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The drift cars are pretty popular here on this island, in fact that is all that is here.
Right now I'm either off-roading or drifting (My only drift car right now is a Tamiya TA03F Pro) The drifting scene is not huge in the States yet, but with every car manufacturer now showing their cars drifting on the TV ad it won't be long before it's as big as in Asia hopefully.

Narrow blue rings are 1/2 price on RC4WD right now, I could not resist...

And some dimensions/measurements for you Fanatic...

Wheelbase - 12 5/8"
Axle width hex-to-hex - 8 7/8"

Driveshafts are measured end-to-end (max. length)
Rear - 130mm
Front - 100mm
(Transfer shaft is not really accessible w/o a lot of work - I'd guess it's around 80-90mm. The transfer shaft does not articulate, therefore it does not need to be able to telescope)

All links are measured eye-to-eye
Rear lower and upper links are all the same - 140mm
Front lower - 110mm (rear end is longer than front, due to where the skidplate is on a Hasbro frame)
Front upper link - 115mm
Panhard bar - 110mm
Old 01-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #112
Quarry Creeper

Thank you Mike that is very helpful. I am going to need to buy some things here to start my rig. I just bought the hasbro jeep like the one you started with, unfortunately id was super expensive but it has all its parts and the 12" guy. It is an unopened box. And when I get it I'm going to chop it... if only they knew lol. I have a list going on RC4WD of the things I want from them and I will have to do some research on axles. Just out of curiosity did you use the axial transmission because you had it? And what are your thoughts on the RC4WD disrupter transmission?
Old 01-13-2012, 01:10 AM   #113
Quarry Creeper

So never mind on the RC4WD transmission. As I have been looking at some of the other build I jsut realized that there would not be enough room for it and the axial transmission is the way to go... DUH!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #114
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So never mind on the RC4WD transmission. As I have been looking at some of the other build I jsut realized that there would not be enough room for it and the axial transmission is the way to go... DUH!
It would be tough to fit an R2 in there. And they're not as strong or reliable as an Axial transmission anyway.

Are you parting out a Wraith for this build? What does it have for a tranny?
Old 01-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #115
I joined the Band!

I read the entire build and enjoyed the whole thing. I need to start buying parts as this is a must build. The work put into this build shows skill and care with planning. Well done!
twissted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #116
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post

Is it just me or does your driver look like she's a bit excited?? I don't remember seeing that detail in your build thread!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #117
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twissted View Post
I read the entire build and enjoyed the whole thing. I need to start buying parts as this is a must build. The work put into this build shows skill and care with planning. Well done!
Thanks! Build one up, not only are they a challenge to build, they're more fun to drive than anything I've ever had. The behavior is so realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Is it just me or does your driver look like she's a bit excited?? I don't remember seeing that detail in your build thread!
With outside temps down in the high 30's, the shop is a bit chilly I guess Yea I did get a little carried away on the details...
Old 02-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #118
I wanna be Dave

Just wondering if you signed up for that scale comp the VA Scalers are putting on? They said we can run our Jeeps in the 2.2 class although I think once they see how big these things are, they might have a change of heart.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:40 AM   #119
Quarry Creeper

Hey Mike I was just wondering if you needed the castle bec hooked up with the tekin or did you do it just as a preventative for the future? I am looking at esc's for mine but not sure exactly what I want to get. I planed on using my traxxas nihm batteries and maybe some 2s lipo for longer run times. I will also be using a really low gearing setup on my axial transmission and either the 80t or 55t motor I have that are just laying around. I you could give me some insight as to why you did and how you did that would be excellent, thanks.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #120
I wanna be Dave

Fanatic- if it helps at all, I used a CC BEC to power the steering servo, everything else gets power straight from the RX. I hope you get your Jeep running soon, once you drive it you won't want to put it away!