Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: pilmat Build Log

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Pilmat, are you run a 1s lipo. If so what mah's and how long of a run time.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2010, 09:51 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
Pilmat, are you run a 1s lipo. If so what mah's and how long of a run time.
Yes, I'm running a 1S Thunderpower 350mAh (the 20C model). I get about half an hour, which has not brought the voltage down below 3.5V.

When I went for the 1S, I was interested in a small package with reduced wheel speed. The big concern was servo performance, but I have been really impressed at how well the 65HB throws the heavy wheels around.

Later, Phil.
pilmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:57 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Nice. I was looking at 1s lipo's, but want some wheel speed for bumping the back tires over under cuts. I'll let you know I'm running the DP chassis and I will have the miniQLO tires with a 4.75" WB, so I guess idk if the 1s will have the punch I need. Because the QLO's are about 2.16" tall, much bigger then the claws.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:21 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
Nice. I was looking at 1s lipo's, but want some wheel speed for bumping the back tires over under cuts. I'll let you know I'm running the DP chassis and I will have the miniQLO tires with a 4.75" WB, so I guess idk if the 1s will have the punch I need. Because the QLO's are about 2.16" tall, much bigger then the claws.
I think you will be disappointed in the wheel speed. Mine crawled good on 1 cell but had next to no bump. I had to go 7.4 but then I lost low end crawl control.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:20 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANALLY View Post
I think you will be disappointed in the wheel speed. Mine crawled good on 1 cell but had next to no bump. I had to go 7.4 but then I lost low end crawl control.
i think Jeepkid is planning on going with an outrunner motor though so im thinkin it'll still have bump at that point what do you guys think
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:21 AM   #26
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Something I have not played with at all is gearing. I am running the stock setup which is the smallest pinion. Have you tried the biggest pinion with 1S? This will surely increase the wheel speed, but I don't know if it would be enough.

As for going to 2S, I think the stock ESC will have too much of an abrupt response curve with that much voltage. The first step is quite high (initial drive) and the drive frequency could be higher too. I would really consider changing the ESC if I needed 2S, which also means changing the receiver...

Side note to the ESC is that the forward and reverse are NOT the same. The reverse has a higher initial drive and even seems to have a higher top speed (this was noted somewhere in this forum and I confirmed it on my initial runs). Check that you are using the lowest initial drive for forward to get the best crawl control, then reverse your throttle channel if it is in reverse (you will hen have to swap the motor wires too to get the rig to go the right way).

Phil.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

heres a wierd thought what about having 2 1c batts with a switch controlled by a third channel to make it 2c for bursts i mean if you see what some of these guys are doing to these it doesnt seem too crazy right?
Old 09-16-2010, 10:06 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

oh btw Jeepkid quit thread jacking lol
Old 09-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

I think Im getting 2 2s and 2 1s lipos. Different voltage for different terrain.Oh murderface I'm not thread jacking at all, I just dont have all day to post on threads and have lots of ?'s. So, HAHA
Old 09-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #30
Rock Stacker

It's all good fun guys, but stop bantering on a build thread! LOL

Back on course: ran 1 pack through a stock truck converted with a Pinch chassis. It was only a simple basement obstacle course, but I must say that it looks really promising. When I say the truck is stock, it still has foam in the tires and ZERO weight anywhere (it's a kid's truck, but I felt so bad watching him struggle, I did the conversion for him). The ESC space is too narrow and the shocks needed to spaced with a 0.030" washer on the chassis and axle (otherwise the shock binds before it bottoms), but the rest is very well designed. I love the elastic clips built into the shock mounts.

I will finish a conversion on one of my rigs and report back with full details and pics.

Later, Phil.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

pilmat love your wright up and solutions to issuse with these after market chassis. Keep up the good work I will stay tuned for more wright up greatness.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:05 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

let me know how that pinch chasis works out my son wants one for his 3rd b day so i really need to be sure its durable. im a little leary of him runnin the dp cuz of the really thin torsion bars
Old 11-27-2010, 09:40 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Great write up! ..any updates?
saniel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #34
Rock Stacker

Sorry guys, I've been completely swamped with slot car racing!

I will definitely be back testing and developing soon, but not likely before the holidays.

@Murderface, the Pinch chassis is quite sturdy and should not be a problem for anyone. I have installed it on a truck that gets treated quite roughly by the owner (10 year old) and the only damage he has managed was ripping a tire off the rim, but no chassis damage. That said the DP is great in that it lowers the moving part count. Either way, you will not be disappointed.

Cheers, Phil.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

i broke 4 dps already since that post and im loving the pinch
Old 11-29-2010, 06:17 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Phil, Looking forward to more testing from you. Very informative and nicely done!
saniel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #37
RCC Addict

[QUOTE=pilmat;2638770]Something I have not played with at all is gearing. I am running the stock setup which is the smallest pinion. Have you tried the biggest pinion with 1S? This will surely increase the wheel speed, but I don't know if it would be enough.

Sorry I didn't reply...lost track of the post.

I really think the 1s on the largest pinion would loose too much low end grunt. I love the 2s on a Sidewinder micro esc. I tuned the curve and got great results. The biggest problem is when u go with a different esc package...u run out of space to put it all. So far there is no perfect combo that i have seen or tried and I have tried almost everything. They are either controllable with no wheel speed or not controllable on the low end. And i didn't even mention run time issues with all of the choices.

Murderface offered up a question about splitting 2 batteries and running a 3rd channel to cycle between low end control on the 1s and then wheel speed with 2s. LOVE the idea...TRIED IT! It works great but again u run into where to put it all. One other thing is that I did a dig and now I'm hooked. I need the 3rd channel for the dig and can't fit in any more for a voltage split like Murderface mentioned. GGGRRRRRR!!!!!
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #38
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
One other thing is that I did a dig and now I'm hooked. I need the 3rd channel for the dig and can't fit in any more for a voltage split like Murderface mentioned. GGGRRRRRR!!!!!
I think you better start a thread on this before some serious thread jacking takes place!

BTW Pilmat, great informative thread, I've referred back to it several times over the past month!

Last edited by johnnyh66; 11-30-2010 at 11:22 AM.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #39
Rock Stacker

Default wow

man thats bad ass i need to put up picks of my track in the back of my house i wana billed a micro track hella bad great job on the track looks like hella fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilmat View Post
Gopher, here are some pictures of the Metro Mountain. Sorry if it cam across as if the mountain was built around a slot car track. I'm putting together a video of the Wedge and DP through a few of the trickier sections.

Here you can see the commercial slot car track and store in the background (and my wife ...). I put the DP rig on the hill so you can get an idea of the size.

Later, Phil.
The Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #40
Rock Stacker

Love this thread.. Pilmat is an amazingly technical and detailed writer... makes everything SO easy to understand. Great work!
dustinbleh is offline   Reply With Quote