Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Dodge T-Rex 6x6 Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Dodge T-Rex 6x6 Project

So I had mentioned this before, and the other night (the night of the RCC blackout no less), I got these in the mail:

So it's T-Rex time! The idea is pretty simple: In 1997, Dodge made a 6x6 concept truck. I want to make a scale one. Dodge's looked like this:

Then when Dodge said they weren't going to build it, someone built their own:

And in a few weeks (hopefully), I'll have my own:

I picked up a pair of Snap-Tite models because they were the only models in the right size and the right generation. Lucky for me, that means I can focus on the 6x6 work and not the detailing. Also, assembly should be pretty easy because there's only like a dozen parts. There is a downside, and that's the undercarriage:

All that BS has to come out, so job one is to hog out the chassis to make the drivetrain and suspension fit. For example, take a look at the front axle:

That gets in the way of the front axle something fierce. Fortunately, a little time with the Dremel will take care of that. With the two axles underneath, you can see just how bad it is:

I bought two models because there was a good deal on the pair and I thought I'd have to stretch the bed to make the rear axles fit. Fortunately, there seems to be enough room, so the second will just be there for spare parts:

Oh yeah, drivetrain and suspension! So, front and rear will be 4-link with shocks, similar to this: Oshkosh-10X10- Body started & new elec. - Page 2 - Scale 4x4 R/C Forums. Instead of modifying the axles with brass, (which I don't have to tools for), I'm going for twin motors and transmissions. This should give me plenty of power without the need for a big block motor (which won't fit). I'm also planning to add dip switches to cut out either front or rear drive as needed. Kind of like a poor man's dig. Bumpers and lights are also in the works. The steering servo will probably be a remote setup that bolts under the hood. I'm going to order some Mini-T ball cups to make my links. Eventually I plan to fit some Swampers or Rock Lox underneath, so the axle spacing will be designed to fit them (MiClaws are far too big, so they're out). Pics up as this rig progresses.
8695Beaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Dodge T-Rex 6x6 Project

This project will be awesome!!! I really dig that green 1:1 version! It looks like this will be a big challenge to build, but I am sure you will pull it off! It should be on heck of a monster out on the trails!!!!
MICHIGAN CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks. Spent the last couple of days hogging out the chassis. Here's where I'm at right now:

I still need to chop off the rear "leafs" for more axle clearance. Then I have to brace the rear and front of the chassis where the axles used to be. Already had to brace the rear half with some styrene:

It's temporary until I'm done cutting and then I'll fab some braces and proper plates. I was hoping to leave the crossmember up front, but with it gone the front transmission has a perfect home that lets me use the stock lower links:

I'll need to cut the floorpan of the interior to fit it properly, but it's a natural fit. Upper links will be custom and probably bolt to the flat part on top of the axle where the servo usually sits.

This is the front "axle" or what used to be the front axle.

Had to trim out a lot so the front axle clears correctly.

In the rear, a little more needs to come out to fit the rear transmission. This truck is going to have a lot of lift, but that should be fine. Some weighted wheels and new tires should help that.

I'm hoping to get finished cutting up the chassis over the weekend and start mounting the front suspension. I've got to order some Mini-T ball cups and some 2-56 rod to make the rear links. More money down the drain...
Old 01-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I know this isn't like a T-Rex, but I found it online and though it was cool!

Old 01-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Hmmm...that might take a little more fabrication...
Old 01-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8695Beaters View Post
Hmmm...that might take a little more fabrication...
Yeah, I think soo!!! lol
Old 06-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

So I've been stupid busy with school and just haven't had the time to work on this rig. Also because I got laid off, I haven't had the money to buy any parts for it. Did some more work on it today, so hopefully I'll get it working over the summer. Anyway, today I made some servo mounts and started getting the front transmission mounted.

The servo mounts are just cut-down Losi mounts. They are glued to the front of the chassis. This means I will need to make a custom drag link, but it gives me more suspension options up front.

The servo is a Hitec HS-65MG that I got when I bought a used crawler.

Mounts all glued up.

With the body mounted up, there is plenty of room for the servo under the hood. There might even be enough room for an ID card winch. I've got an ID card holder, so once the servo is bolted in I'll see if I can slip a winch up in there.

This hole in the interior floorpan has to come out to fit the front transmission.

Luckily the seats will cover up the hole so you don't see it inside.

Nice! Once I'm done fabbing the body, I'll paint everything including the interior. I picked up a nice metallic blue, very similar to the old Dodge Viper's blue for the body. Should look sick! Not sure what the interior will look like. Ideas?

Had to nibble out a small chunk of the cab to fit the trans too.

With that all done, the transmission fits in the hole perfectly! I need to shave the skidplate a hair narrower so I can fit mounts to the chassis. Fingers crossed, I will have time to do that tomorrow and get it final mounted. Then I have to raid some parts from another rig to get started on the rear and I have to order some Mini-T cups and threaded rod to make my suspension links. Updates in less than 5 months I swear!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Transmission's mounted!

Damn near a perfect fit. Still needs a bit more glue and some minor tweaking on the width of the skidplate. Also needs some reinforcement to keep the mounts from bending. Looking at the limited room underneath, I may be forced to stick with one transmission and mod the middle axle to work. *Sigh*. I'm going to keep trying to get a second transmission in there. Might be a while before I figure that one out...
Old 06-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Started on the front suspension. Lower links were easy. I had some leftover links from building my first McRC. Putting them at nearly full length sets the axle exactly where I want it.

The stock tires actually fit the wheel wells perfectly. Too bad they're going to be swapped out for some Boggers at some point.

Since I don't have a servo on the axle, I drilled out the tops of the axle for some ball studs.

I was going to use some tweaked stock upper links at first, but they are just too damn short. I am going to have to buy some more Mini-T rod ends and some new rod to make my upper links. Oh well. I used my lighter to twist the links 90 degrees. Unfortunately these don't offer enough flex. With some longer links I should get the geometry I'm looking for. I may also use some Trekker upper ball studs for some extra twist if I need it. Once I get the new upper links I will mount the shocks, build a steering arm, and the front will be done!

For a drive shaft, I will probably cut up and glue a Trekker driveshaft. I will see what I can piece together with the leftover bits I have. That's all for now. More when I get the money to buy new junk!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Round of paint on the interior. The body is going to be metallic blue and since Dodge is about as 'Merican as it gets, I'm going with a red white and blue interior:

The seats are going to be blue and white, the dash will be blue with a white insert, and the doors will be red with blue carpet. Not 100% sure what I'm going to do with the steering wheel, but I'll get to figuring it out soon enough. Second round of paint will get done tomorrow. It's taken three coats of paint to get this far and there are still some gray spots. Painting sucks, but this truck will look good when it's done. Also might change some of the colors slightly. The blue is too dark and glossy looking and the red is a bit too glossy for interior. Might need flatter colors to make it look more realistic.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Round of paint on the interior. The body is going to be metallic blue and since Dodge is about as 'Merican as it gets, I'm going with a red white and blue interior:

The seats are going to be blue and white, the dash will be blue with a white insert, and the doors will be red with blue carpet. Not 100% sure what I'm going to do with the steering wheel, but I'll get to figuring it out soon enough. Second round of paint will get done tomorrow. It's taken three coats of paint to get this far and there are still some gray spots. Painting sucks, but this truck will look good when it's done. Also might change some of the colors slightly. The blue is too dark and glossy looking and the red is a bit too glossy for interior. Might need flatter colors to make it look more realistic.

painting does suck.... i cant stand it. trying to paint my hilux atm and its near impossible for me to get it perfect. almost ready to just paint it all black and call it a day!
Slambaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

It's tough but it can also be very gratifying. I built a few of these lead models a few years ago. They are probably the hardest thing I've ever painted. For reference, that is a AA battery next to the blue dragster.

I'm working on a whole vintage drag racing diorama. I've got another dragster, an old motorcycle, and a few other garage items. Should be a neat little box when it's all done...if it ever gets done. Kinda like this T-Rex eh?
Old 07-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
It's tough but it can also be very gratifying. I built a few of these lead models a few years ago. They are probably the hardest thing I've ever painted. For reference, that is a AA battery next to the blue dragster.

I'm working on a whole vintage drag racing diorama. I've got another dragster, an old motorcycle, and a few other garage items. Should be a neat little box when it's all done...if it ever gets done. Kinda like this T-Rex eh?

aha those little dragsters are sick! that takes a keen eye to paint those little bastards! good work!
Slambaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Thank you! Like I said, tough but very gratifying when done. Still working on the T-Rex's paint. I'm still debating whether or not I like the blue I'm using. Might put on a coat of something lighter to brighten it up.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Any new progress on this?

Pic for inspiration

Last edited by Ramination; 10-10-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Ramination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Stuck on mounting the front shocks. McRC shocks are way too long and I haven't had time to figure out what else to use. I have an idea, just need time to make it work (being a full-time engineering student leaves me like NO free time for projects right now). I also got more Mini-T rods for the rest of the links. Once again, just need time to get some free time haha.

However if this idea for the front works, it should also work on the back, so progress might come quickly after that.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

ever think about trying to use leaf springs?
Mastah Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastah Kyler View Post
ever think about trying to use leaf springs?
No because I don't like leaves. They limit travel too much and the real T-Rex used springs, so I'd like to use them. Also I don't really think there's enough room for leaves under there.

My plan is to ditch the shocks and just use the springs alone. I will mount them to the top of the axle and then fab a plate for the top mount. This will give me all the travel I need and then some. I will need to rethink my upper link mounts and make sure there is room for a steering link. After that, it's just mounting the upper links to the frame and the front end is done. I might have some time over the weekend to do some work on it. I'm also working on a Stepside project (Another Stepside) and I'm abut 75% done with it, so I may finish that one up first. I have an update for that one, just need to take the pics.

Also trying to figure out what I'm going to do about my comp rig. I lost a barrel nut about 6 months ago and with BWD silent on the new ones, I may go for the Mad Cap weights and different wheels. Lots of decisions!
Old 10-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

maybe try these for your comp? weights and wideners! New Wheel Widener/Weight
Mastah Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Those are what I'm looking at, but I would need new wheels to make them work. So it would be like $100 to do and in college with no job means the money just ain't there. Maybe for the holidays.

Dodge T-Rex 6x6 Project - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building a Dodge Trex 6x6 Flowmastered87GL Axial SCX-10 31 07-29-2012 10:56 PM
T REX 6x6 rockcrawler_101 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 91 01-12-2009 06:10 PM