Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Harley's Dark Soul MRC Comp Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
20K Club

Default Harley's Dark Soul MRC Comp Rig

It wasn't long ago that I had told myself that I wasn't going to build a comp MRC. I had built up my Dinky MRC tuber and decided that if we had local comps I would just run it and not really focus much on it. Well my true competitive side was brought out by a few friends. A local friend, Freq E Tag, got himself a MRC and started to get it comp ready. Then Dinky was talking about ordering his and the snowball continued.

Ted at Dark Soul racing called me one day after I had commented that I really liked his new OMF licensed 1.9 beadlock wheels.

These wheel really drew my attention for 3 reasons:
  • The inner beadlocking ring make mounting tires super fast and easy
  • The easy adjustable weight concept, yet still keeping it all hidden behind a great looking wheel
  • The OMF style wheels have always been a favorite of mine

Ted offered me a deal that I couldn't resist on the wheels so I was going to put them on my Dinky MRC, easy enough right? Well then I happen to sell something I had laying around that was more than enough for an second MRC and I got to thinking (dangerous). So I called Kevin at TCS to tell him to send me another MRC. Turns out he had one just waiting for me anyway......so I took the cash I had and turned it into EVERY upgrade I would want
  • Upgraded Lockers
  • Aluminum Knuckles
  • Aluminum C's
  • Aluminum Strait Axle Adapters
  • Losi CVD's
  • Tekin B1R
  • Aluminum Threaded Shocks
  • GMade wideners (we will see if I want to run them)

Well turns out that wasn't EVERYTHING that I wanted. Brandon had been bragging up and down about the chassis that he was running that was designed by Chino63 and being produced though Dark Soul. Here is a link to Chino's build thread which also has pictures of Brandon's--> LINK

A prototype picture:

SOOOOO another call to Ted at Dark Soul went in. Somehow I ended up convincing him that I was good enough to get one of these little buggers. Ted then told me he was doing a small number in a special edition color (can any of you guess what color I would want more than anything ). Turns out Dark Souls "color" happens to be ORANGE! PERFECT!!!! Ted told me that he was going to do the chassis AND the beadlock rings in that sweet orange. At this point I am incredibly excited to get all the parts for this build.

The chassis kit includes (pictures from Chino's Build):
  • 1-piece chassis
  • Adhessive backed UHMW for skid if desired
  • TI links!
  • 4-link and servo mounting plates
  • Needed rod ends
  • Needed hardware

The build will be my ultimate all-out comp rig and on top of that will be one of the most trick looking rigs on the rocks. Keep an eye on this thread, it's going to be a killer rig

SPECIAL THANKS:

TCS
Dark Soul Racing
Futaba
MaxAmps
Team Tekin
NLuv and Chino

Last edited by Harley; 03-03-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
20K Club

Specs:
  • Chassis - Dark Soul 1.9 Kit
  • Base Kit - Losi MRC
  • Axle C's Front - Hot Racing Aluminum C's
  • Axle C's Rear - Hot Racing Aluminum Adapters
  • Knuckles - Hot Racing Aluminum Knuckles
  • Lockers - Hot Racing Aluminum Diff Lockers
  • Suspension Links - Dark Soul TI links
  • 4-link/Servo mount - Dark Soul link/servo plate
  • Wideners - Gmade Wideners
  • Front Axle Shafts - Losi CVD's
  • Rear Axle Shafts - Losi Strait Axles
  • Shocks/Springs - Hot Racing Threaded Aluminum Shocks
  • Body - Proline Descender Body
  • Motor - Holmes Hobbies Torque Master
  • Servo - Futaba S9156
  • Wheels - Dark Soul OMF Wheels
  • Tires - Proline Hammers (cut'n'shut)
  • ESC - Tekin B1R (with 100% reverse)
  • BEC - Castle Creations BEC
  • Batteries - MaxAmps 2s 800 Packs
  • Radio - Futaba 4PK
  • Receiver - Futaba 4PK 4ch
  • Tire Filling - Stock Proline Foam
Old 03-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

That is sikk. I like the orange. If I could get a set of those it would match all my Baja stuff. Ted does some great work over there. I have been debating which chassis to get and this one looks to be one of the best. I will have to give him a call and see what we can work out.
CRAZYACE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZYACE63 View Post
That is sikk. I like the orange. If I could get a set of those it would match all my Baja stuff. Ted does some great work over there. I have been debating which chassis to get and this one looks to be one of the best. I will have to give him a call and see what we can work out.
I know Chino is a suspension guru, more knowledge than you can can possibly use. The other thing that really drew me to the chassis is that the one piece design allows you to get the trans lower than any typical TVP can do with a Delrin skid. If the aluminum skid proves to be something I don't like than I will just put the supplied UHMW on it like I have been doing on the Berg for 6 months or more. I see good things in the future.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I like the servo. I have a 645 but Im thinking 145oz of torque isnt enough to spin my little tires on a 2 pound truck, Im thinking about going up to 200oz.....
kikcaffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikcaffine View Post
I like the servo. I have a 645 but Im thinking 145oz of torque isnt enough to spin my little tires on a 2 pound truck, Im thinking about going up to 200oz.....
I figure as long as my end points are set right then why not! If I want to turn than damn right this thing is gonna TURN!
Old 03-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks. I have been using DS stuff for years now and this will add to the fleet. I will def. give them my business. Gotta love the DS products. I am gonna keep an eye on this thread and see what kind of tips you will have when I do mine.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #8
20K Club

Quote:
Thanks. I have been using DS stuff for years now and this will add to the fleet. I will def. give them my business. Gotta love the DS products. I am gonna keep an eye on this thread and see what kind of tips you will have when I do mine.
Owning Dark Soul parts will be a new experience for me, but even the quality of the "prototypes" seems incredible! Even the wheels, which is one of the hardest area to innovate in, are very impressive. Innovative parts are are my favorite things
Old 03-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Owning Dark Soul parts will be a new experience for me, but even the quality of the "prototypes" seems incredible! Even the wheels, which is one of the hardest area to innovate in, are very impressive. Innovative parts are are my favorite things

Trust me you will not be dissapointed with the DS parts. I have not had one fail on my 1/5th since I go them. I even run them as hard as I can and Nothing has failed. So I am not suprised that he got into crawling since he has a good I dea how to biuld indestructable parts.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:12 PM   #10
20K Club

These are a couple of shots from Brandon's rig. These shots give you an idea of how the chassis compares to the stocker. Narrow and long is what I prefer in a shafty (thats what she said) chassis.

The servo mount is made for a smaller servo but will be super quick to modify to work with my full size big dog servo

I will also be using the Proline 1/18th Descender body. I will go a little less liberal with the orange on the body due to the amount on the chassis and wheels but you can count on there still being orange on it too

Old 03-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I'm going to paint an ORANGE body just to mess w/ you!:-P
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:23 PM   #12
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
I'm going to paint an ORANGE body just to mess w/ you!:-P
The only thing that could really mess with me was if you painted YOUR body orange.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:26 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The only thing that could really mess with me was if you painted YOUR body orange.
Hmmmmmmm, It so just happens that I have some orange grease paint left over...............:-P
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:30 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Whoa. I think we need to get this thread back on track. If I start seeing pics of ORANGE DUDES I am gonna have to poke my eyes out.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:32 PM   #15
20K Club

Quote:
Whoa. I think we need to get this thread back on track. If I start seeing pics of ORANGE DUDES I am gonna have to poke my eyes out.
Yeah, the limit of how much orange is drawn slightly before Dez breaks in with the body paint

Here is my 2.2 ARC chassis'd Berg

Old 03-02-2009, 11:34 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Here is my BlackJack 2.2 with TLT's.

I like the orange also.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

It wasn't long ago that I had told myself that I wasn't going to build a comp MRC. I had built up my Dinky MRC tuber and decided that if we had local comps I would just run it and not really focus much on it. Well my true competitive side was brought out by a few friends. A local friend, Freq E Tag, got himself a MRC and started to get it comp ready. Then Dinky was talking about ordering his and the snowball continued.

Ted at Dark Soul racing called me one day after I had commented that I really liked his new OMF licensed 1.9 beadlock wheels.

These wheel really drew my attention for 3 reasons:
  • The inner beadlocking ring make mounting tires super fast and easy
  • The easy adjustable weight concept, yet still keeping it all hidden behind a great looking wheel
  • The OMF style wheels have always been a favorite of mine

Ted offered me a deal that I couldn't resist on the wheels so I was going to put them on my Dinky MRC, easy enough right? Well then I happen to sell something I had laying around that was more than enough for an second MRC and I got to thinking (dangerous). So I called Kevin at TCS to tell him to send me another MRC. Turns out he had one just waiting for me anyway......so I took the cash I had and turned it into EVERY upgrade I would want
  • Upgraded Lockers
  • Aluminum Knuckles
  • Aluminum C's
  • Aluminum Strait Axle Adapters
  • Losi CVD's
  • Tekin B1R
  • Aluminum Threaded Shocks
  • GMade wideners (we will see if I want to run them)

Well turns out that wasn't EVERYTHING that I wanted. Brandon had been bragging up and down about the chassis that he was running that was designed by Chino63 and being produced though Dark Soul. Here is a link to Chino's build thread which also has pictures of Brandon's--> LINK

A prototype picture:

SOOOOO another call to Ted at Dark Soul went in. Somehow I ended up convincing him that I was good enough to get one of these little buggers. Ted then told me he was doing a small number in a special edition color (can any of you guess what color I would want more than anything ). Turns out Dark Souls "color" happens to be ORANGE! PERFECT!!!! Ted told me that he was going to do the chassis AND the beadlock rings in that sweet orange. At this point I am incredibly excited to get all the parts for this build.

The chassis kit includes (pictures from Chino's Build):
  • 1-piece chassis
  • Adhessive backed UHMW for skid if desired
  • TI links!
  • 4-link and servo mounting plates
  • Needed rod ends
  • Needed hardwre

The build will be my ultimate all-out comp rig and on top of that will be one of the most trick looking rigs on the rocks. Keep an eye on this thread, it's going to be a killer rig

SPECIAL THANKS:

TCS
Dark Soul Racing
Futaba
MaxAmps
Team Tekin
NLuv and Chino

You and all your damned hook ups! You have some awesome builds, I'm just being a jealous S.O.B. Cant wait to see this one.
Drvnbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:55 PM   #18
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drvnbeing View Post
You and all your damned hook ups! You have some awesome builds, I'm just being a jealous S.O.B. Cant wait to see this one.
You should really check out the last one
Old 03-02-2009, 11:57 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
You should really check out the last one
What the venom?
Drvnbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:58 PM   #20
20K Club

Quote: