Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Motor going bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 02:28 AM   #1

Default Motor going bad?

Not sure if it's my motor or esc going bad but when I put a load on the motor it slows to a stop until I let off the throttle and start again. It does it a lot if I steer while going forward or backwards on level ground. It's been doing it more and more and I'm not sure what it could be. I'm going to try a different battery tomorrow but I doubt that's the problem. Anyone have this issue before? I'm running stock losi motorr in my pro. B1r esc and is fairly new.
FOXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2012, 04:38 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Motor going bad?

Are you running an external BEC? What battery?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

you need an external bec or your going to smoke your esc or reciever!!
dunebuggy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunebuggy79 View Post
you need an external bec or your going to smoke your esc or reciever!!
What?!?!

You wont destroy either one of those pieces of electronics without an external BEC, you just simply wont get the power you need to either the ESC or the motor when the other is put in a bind....
Old 02-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I thought the b1r had a bec.
Rooney7783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney7783 View Post
I thought the b1r had a bec.
Most ESCs do....but the problem is how they apply current to the objects they are trying to control. With an external BEC, your steering will have constant voltage and current no matter how much your motor draws from the ESC.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #7

Ok, I'm installing a ccbec onto my mrc. I have a pretty standard receiver (Flysky fs-gr3c) and was wondering where I can put the bec wires. Any spare channel I'm told, but on the receiver there's channel 3 which also doubles as a bind, and then the 4th which has VCC in red next to it. I don't know what the VCC means. Maybe a proprietary channel for a bec?

TIA
Old 12-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Okay this is how I have mine set up. I have the power leads on the BEC connected to the power leads on the esc so it gets power from the battery than the BEC gets plugged into a bypass adapter the Servo is also plugged in to the bypass adapter than the bypass adapter is plugged into the receiver. The bypass adapter works as an isolator for the power coming off the BEC because the ESC is already powering the receiver. Before you solder the power cables make sure you program it to the voltage you want. You will not be able to do that unless u put a connection in between the ESC and BEC. Don’t think I missed anything if I did a bad job at communicating clearly please ask for clarification. Good luck with your project!
BigJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
Okay this is how I have mine set up. I have the power leads on the BEC connected to the power leads on the esc so it gets power from the battery than the BEC gets plugged into a bypass adapter the Servo is also plugged in to the bypass adapter than the bypass adapter is plugged into the receiver. The bypass adapter works as an isolator for the power coming off the BEC because the ESC is already powering the receiver. Before you solder the power cables make sure you program it to the voltage you want. You will not be able to do that unless u put a connection in between the ESC and BEC. Don’t think I missed anything if I did a bad job at communicating clearly please ask for clarification. Good luck with your project!
Would I have to program the voltage if it did it any other way than you described? Also, did you program the BEC or the ESC? I would imagine the ESC since I've never read anything pertaining to programming the BEC. Thanks
Old 12-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #10
RCC Addict

This may or may not help some, but a few of us are running a futaba low pro servo right off the 2s battery leads. It has not fried my servo yet, but shorter comp times might be why. running longer times may heat things up. I have been running this setup for about 2 years now and no magic smoke yet.

That said this is one setup idea. The green wires are the white wires on the RX leads BTW.

RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Correct me if I am wrong but the RX is not being powered in that drawing. The red lead needs to be connected so the esc powers the RX. Than the the bec is fine being by-passed around the RX.

@FOXX
If you want anything more than 6v outs the bec than you need it programmed. They come from Castle at 6v. Setting up the the BEC directly to the servo keeps your RX safe if you want more than 6v to the RX. I believe most esc's have a max of 6v out the bec for RX and steering servo.

Sent from my Super Smart Smart phone using Midi-chlorians
BigJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Good eye.. tho, I believe the cc Bec comes from castle at 5.1v.. if you get them from a vendor, I'm sure you can ask them to set it for you..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Motor going bad? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad motor OKJeepin Redcat Crawlers 13 12-16-2011 06:54 PM
is my motor bad? superflex Electronics 4 02-14-2011 09:29 PM
Bad motor? (video) generalee7 Electronics 4 07-25-2010 04:11 PM
Bad motor? N.C. Scorpion Electronics 2 03-27-2010 01:09 AM
Motor Going Bad??? nightcrawler86 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 05-09-2009 02:44 PM