Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Ravencr's MRC Buildup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Ravencr's MRC Buildup

Hey guys,

I've determined that friends cost each other far too much money, and this is case in point. Jteffey bought a freakin' MRC roller recently, so now I own one. And, he bought a LCC last week, because I own one...lol. So needless to say, this will definitely make it fun when we crawl, because before I was running my LCC and he was crawling his SCX10...not quite on the same playing field once we got them built up. But, now, it's on...let the real fun begin.

So, I have to admit that I want to build this MRC up the best parts I can get for it for top performance, and I've done little to no research about it, so far.

My initial thoughts is to do a Castle Creations Sidewinder ESC, but I can't decide if I want to run a brushless or brushed motor. I run a 13.5 turn brushless on my LCC and love it so far, but I've heard that brushed if favorable on the MRC.

Outside of that, I'll be running my Futaba 2104 receiver with my 4pl, and I actually picked up two used Futaba BLS157HV Servos today for cheap...I know it's overkill, but is there really such a thing?

That's all I know at this point...I know I want to run Dluxfab's knuckle weights as heavy as I can, and I'll probably run the junfac 13mm wheel wideners up front too.

As far as tires, I've got the crazy idea (totally untested and don't even know if it's legal in a comp), but 2.2 Rover's up front and 1.9 Rovers in the rear. Is that even legal...lol? I'd like the front to over-run the rear like I have it on my LCC, especially without dig...I'd imagine this will come in very handy. But, again, don't know if it's even possible.

I plan to keep the wheels stock, and I'll probably run some sort of bent lower links...just don't know who's yet. Shocks I'll probably keep fairly stock but soften it up as much as possible, most likely.

As far as the front servo/battery tray, I'd like to run them up on the front axle like I have on the LCC...probably build that based on what I've seen so far. Not sure if there will be enough room to run the BEC and ESC up on the axle too, but I'd prefer to if I can fit it all in.

That's all I can think of so far...looking forward to it. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
ravencr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #2

Default Re: Ravencr's MRC Buildup

Oh man its on now! I think setting it up like your lcc is the best idea. Theres not much room on that front axle but I think you can get the majority of stuff up there. Not sure about the 2.2 up front but it sure sounds neat!
Jteffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I need a new LCC thread to follow...might as well be yours...post up honky!

Chris
Old 02-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #4

Have you seen these?

MRC PRO Titanium links
Old 02-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I haven't...they look to be pretty nice. I wonder how many folks are running them.

Chris
Old 02-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #6

Looks like he's just came up with them. I like the looks of them alot. Crap!!! theres another $70 bucks.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

LOL...you get 'em first, and I'll see how they work. I have the feeling there's more available for the MRC right now than the LCC, so I'm getting worried.

Chris
Old 02-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravencr View Post
LOL...you get 'em first, and I'll see how they work. I have the feeling there's more available for the MRC right now than the LCC, so I'm getting worried.

Chris

No kidding! I cant afford to build two of these thing at the same time. I had put the mrc on the back burner, but now (thanks to you) i guess its back in action! Oh well, its only money...right?
Old 02-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

No doubt...I'll help spend yours and you can help spend mine...lol.

Chris
Old 02-18-2012, 02:04 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

You seem to be on the right track there for the most part.

Now for some tech in this thread :

Not legal to run 2.2 on front as it is the "1.9" class, unless you cut and shut 2.2 tires onto the 1.9 rims. Why don't you do the over/underdrive mod instead? Also i reccomend a crawlermafia motor, or an HH
Scale_Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:29 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for getting us back on track here. I'll search out the over/underdrive mod...sounds good. I'll check and see about those motors too...thanks,

Chris
Old 02-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
WAM
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scale_Crawler View Post
Also i reccomend a crawlermafia motor, or an HH
You'll want to check my info isn't out of date, but last I heard HH and Crawler Mafia were both out of the mini motor business, perhaps temporarily. If that's still true then you might want to check out Brood. All three are top quality motors.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

K I'll check them out. Thanks for the heads up.

Chris
Old 02-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM View Post
You'll want to check my info isn't out of date, but last I heard HH and Crawler Mafia were both out of the mini motor business, perhaps temporarily. If that's still true then you might want to check out Brood. All three are top quality motors.
I knew the HH was, but had not heard about CrawlerMafia.
Scale_Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Where do find the crawler mafia stuff? Also, are folks not running brushless setups on these much?

Chris
Old 02-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

i run the novak mongoose brushless...it works great im very pleased with it mut ill say this...my buddy runs a losi insane motor with his stock esc and it performs just as good and it cost about 25 dollars instead of 100 for the mongoose...
pugs2300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

rockhard was the guy making the Crawler Mafia motors, but he isn't producing them anymore. You can find them used here from time to time, but like pugs said...the Losi Insane motor is a great motor and is what I run.

The Losi Xcelorin brushless system and the Mongoose are both good brushless options.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:02 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Ryan...just not a huge fan of the longevity of the brushed motors. I can't find the Xcelorin brushless system for sale anywhere either. What about the Tekin brushless setups?

Chris
Old 02-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Hey guys,

It arrived today and thought I'd snap a few pics of it. I was thinking I was going to need to make a front axle battery/servo tray, but it appears as if it already has one. Plus, I thought I was going to have to outboard the shocks, but that's been done too. Is this normal?

I almost bought everything I needed for it today, but I feel like I need to do some more research. One thing I noticed right away is the shocks are way way too stiff with the blue springs. Are the soft ones that are available various places a lot softer than the blue's, or have folks found even lighter weight ones for it?

Chris
Old 02-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #20

I just got mine a month ago and it didn't have the outboard shock mount done on it. Hmm, I wonder if Losi decided to do that on some of the last ones they produced and mine wasn't one of the last ones. Consider yourself lucky.
ScoobaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Ravencr's MRC Buildup - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My new 2.2 Buildup Jim511 2.2 Scale Rigs 0 01-08-2008 10:42 AM
GC-1 Buildup... lt1wrangler Tamiya TLT Crawlers 23 10-29-2007 04:12 PM
My FJ-40 NN Buildup TxCruzr Tamiya Clod Buster 61 07-28-2006 05:49 PM
buildup Inclodneato Newbie General 4 03-03-2006 12:13 PM
Another buildup 93yjpiece General Crawlers 5 01-22-2006 03:48 PM