Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: T3rry's "Losi? What Losi?" Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default T3rry's "Losi? What Losi?" Build

ok, so here's my new rebuild, first off, let me say i am no champ, i dont understand all the link geometry and stuff, i just like to build my truck and drive it like the clunker it is... now that that's out of the way...

I'll start with the title, Losi? What Losi?
Basiacally the only thing this truck will have in it when it's done that is losi is, the rear axle asselmbly, and the fromt diff gears, everything else will be non-Losi, that's why the name

The first thing i'll be starting with is my FRANKENAXLE!! this i already ahve built on my current truck, so i wont go over it too much, but most people know what it is, if not, here's the original link: clicky here

Next up is a hand cut chassis, this sis my own custom brew, again, i'm no geometry pro, don't know the first thing about it, so don't be too critical..
designed it up on my pc, then cut it out in vinyl and hacked it out of 1.16 G10 with my dremel.

Next up i ordered one of Hulksta's Skinny transmissions: Here!
Fabbed up my own plate from 1/8 G10 to mount up a mini motor.
I'll likely have to cur down his Ti shaft to shorten it for the mini, but i'll figure that out as we go.

and right now i am attempting to mount the works in to the chassis size plates... i think am going to drill through the side of the side plates and actually mount the trans on the side of the chassis so i don't have to try to fab up a skid... can just use some 1/16 delrin, ziptie or bolt it to the cross brace spacers for a skid plate. that's why i didn't cut the middle out of the lower chassis pieces yet.

I always hated the motor sticking out the side... this is only 45mm wide, a lot wider than the average mini, but it's fully enclosed.

So that's where i am right this minute, took a break to type up this thread... will keep updating as i progress.

OK, got a bit more done, Transmission is mounted on the chassis side plate

And i got the cab drilled out and some spacers built for the cab and chassis, here's how she sits right now... sime to start the fun part... links... i hate links.

Here's a comparison of weight from the MERV transmissioned previosu chassis, to the new, new is about 20g more, i do still need to clean out some material on the chassis plates, but i also need to add a skid, so this should be close to the actual weight... the HH400 i have on order would add like 80g to this, so i am not sure it's worth it... that's a ton of weight up high for this little guy.

Couple more pics, she's almost there, just need driveshafts (i think i am going with axial WB8 shafts) some body panels, a skid plate, and a motor (in the mail) the motor in there is garbage, just for mock up.

And it's RTR, just waiting on some CF rod to re-make the rear uppers, and some scx10 shocks i got from a guy online which i hope to shorten and use on here... also need to pick up some solder today so i can solder on a battery connector, other than that, she's RTR.

Here it is guys, the first look at my recently rebuilt 1.9 crawler, this truck started it's life as a losi mini rock crawler, pro kit... but there isn't much of that left at this point... Hulksta ax10 transmission, FRANKENAXLE frontend, axial and MIP driveshafts, xr10 stuff... custom chassis... only thing left stock is the front pumpkin and the rear axle!

Check it!

Ok, so the first run video has been up or a day now, time to tell you what you're looking at!

Last edited by T3rry; 01-16-2014 at 10:22 AM.
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: T3rry's "Losi? What Losi?" Build

You Crazy some of a bitch! Love it already...

Big gear tranny box.. why not a bigger motor? Maybe a old school 454(400) puller or a new school HH 400 puller!? Hmmmm... Great! Thanks alot! I already did up a xr mini axle.. now this.. ugh!
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
You Crazy some of a bitch! Love it already...

Big gear tranny box.. why not a bigger motor? Maybe a old school 454(400) puller or a new school HH 400 puller!? Hmmmm... Great! Thanks alot! I already did up a xr mini axle.. now this.. ugh!
haha i actually have a new 400 on order, just not sure if i need it, that's a lot of weight up high, but i think it'd fit pretty well with my current setup if i did decide to run it.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:44 PM   #4
Fifth dimension

Awesome stuff! I'll be running in the 1 part losi class this season as well. Looks sick so far!! I may pm you about your opinion of that trans and stuffing it into my chaotic mini pro. The motor sticking out bothers me as well!!
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:16 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Damn Terry, slow it down a little. I was just talking to you about this this morning! Awesome work, can't wait to see the results!
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Damn Terry, slow it down a little. I was just talking to you about this this morning! Awesome work, can't wait to see the results!
our next series comp is in 3 weeks so i have to have it working by then
Old 01-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Ok, o can't take it anymore.. is it just the pics of ur axle or.. why are ur chubs an knucks upside down?

Also, I just got a set of the 1.9 cobra's like urs.. how do you like them and how do they compare to the rovers?
I'm also awaiting some 1.9 gold doo's!
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Ok, o can't take it anymore.. is it just the pics of ur axle or.. why are ur chubs an knucks upside down?

Also, I just got a set of the 1.9 cobra's like urs.. how do you like them and how do they compare to the rovers?
you'e right, they're upside down i never noticed that before, they're xr knuckles with one of the arms hacked off, i don't know why they are that way but it works... the only way to fix it would be to hack off the other arm and use some rcbros or whatever arms on it... which i have, but it works how it is..

i love these cobras, i made em myself, and they seem to do what a lot of other tires wont do... i'm sold on them.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #9
RCC Addict

What's the purpose of the motor spacer?

Looks like your pinion is hanging on by a thread.

45mm is a bit wide, but actually slimmer overall compared to stock motor tranny (about 55mm).

The extra width may allow you to inboard all your uppers and keep it super smooth outside. Not a bad trade.

Bad ass as usual......nice work.
MRCrackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Now that's some nice custom dude way to go I'm inspired to actually get to the lab right now and get some bench time in on my mini
chris.martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCrackhead View Post
What's the purpose of the motor spacer?

Looks like your pinion is hanging on by a thread.

45mm is a bit wide, but actually slimmer overall compared to stock motor tranny (about 55mm).

The extra width may allow you to inboard all your uppers and keep it super smooth outside. Not a bad trade.

Bad ass as usual......nice work.
it's an adapter so i can put on the small motor without modifying the hulksta trans.. i had to go with material that thick so i could countrsink all of the screws , it's the only way i could make it work. the pinion is hanging pretty close to the end, this is a dead motor, just for mock up purposes, i am hoping my new motor (in the mail) will have a slightly longer shaft
Old 01-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

updated the OP with the cab installed.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

almost rtr!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:57 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:

also, looking at it now, i don't think i can put arms on them, my CF wheels would not clear the arms... unless i clearanced the arms,.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Pretty much complete, just have the Ti shaft with a buddy to get shortened and crossdrilled again, then i have to wait on my motor from ebay, just one of those xtreme motors... it's all i can find, i do have a HH400 puller on the way too, but i am not sure it'll fit well... and it would be an additional 100g up high, not sure that's a good idea on a 1100-1200 g truck, 1/10 of it's weight that high sounds bad to me... we'll see how the little motor goes.

anybody have a reasonable source for m3 aluminum hardware? preferably pretty? (anodized)

(i tried fastener express, they decided they wanted to jack up the shipping price after my order was already complete and paid... then 4chobbysupply had no stock, while their site said they did have stock... just looking for a bunch as long as i can get, i can always cut them down)
Old 01-10-2014, 02:51 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Default T3rry's "Losi? What Losi?" Build

Fastener express got the screws you are looking for!
Atleast for us here in sweden!

Last edited by BliB; 01-10-2014 at 02:59 PM.
BliB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:22 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

updated the OP with some RTR Pics!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Here it is guys, the first look at my recently rebuilt 1.9 crawler, this truck started it's life as a losi mini rock crawler, pro kit... but there isn't much of that left at this point... Hulksta ax10 transmission, FRANKENAXLE frontend, axial and MIP driveshafts, xr10 stuff... custom chassis... only thing left stock is the front pumpkin and the rear axle!

Check it!

Last edited by T3rry; 01-16-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

ASnd an overview vid

Ok, so the first run video has been up or a day now, time to tell you what you're looking at!

T3rry's "Losi? What Losi?" Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi MOA budget "re"build GRIMGREG Team Losi Comp Crawler 1 01-19-2014 12:06 PM
T3rry's 5th D SuckerPunch "evolution" thread T3rry Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 10-09-2013 08:34 PM
Go from Losi "Rock Claws" w/ memory foams to HB "Rovers" (pink) w/ Proline Dual Stage luvmycompax10 Tires and Wheels 4 01-11-2012 04:13 PM
Monsterman's Losi Micro Crawler Scale Build "Project Scout:" monsterman Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 9 01-27-2011 07:58 PM