Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #481
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

front was filled with grease OUTSIDE of the diff cup. INSIDE of the diff cup is lubed with 50wt shock oil.

the front diff housing/bulkhead is too flexible. adding a shim on the inside allowed the pinion to not get pulled out and lose maximum contact patch between the ring and pinion. but its still flexes.

ive probably ran more than 50 charges on my truck. really beating it on the track. and to say ive only lost one pinion is a good thing. I just want the bug to go away so more people buy the damn thing. so im trying to figure out where the problem lies.

the paint marker trick will show me what kind of contact we are getting. showing areas of contact on the ring gear. by adding or subtracting shims I can see where its really needed. if it needs it at all.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2016, 07:45 PM   #482
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
that lowers ride height. and stiffens the rear. im looking to stiffen the front.
Oh.

I'm not sure you *can* stiffen the front without also stiffening the rear. The trailing arms connect approximately at the middle of the wheelbase, so when the front suspension doesn't soak up bumps, it just causes the entire chassis to tilt backwards which preloads the rear suspension and makes it more likely to bottom-out.

My experience trying to stiffen the suspension on my Yeti is a big reason why I'm just leaving the Baja Rey's suspension the hell alone.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 09-21-2016 at 07:48 PM.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:24 AM   #483
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Oh.

I'm not sure you *can* stiffen the front without also stiffening the rear. The trailing arms connect approximately at the middle of the wheelbase, so when the front suspension doesn't soak up bumps, it just causes the entire chassis to tilt backwards which preloads the rear suspension and makes it more likely to bottom-out.

My experience trying to stiffen the suspension on my Yeti is a big reason why I'm just leaving the Baja Rey's suspension the hell alone.

im having a hard time as it is to find springs long enough... I think ill just leave it alone.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:36 PM   #484
RCC Addict

Maybe Losi will release a spring tuning kit.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:18 AM   #485
I wanna be Dave

eh, maybe. Id give them a call, but it directs you to horizon for contact...
Old 10-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #486
Pebble Pounder

If any of you guys are on fb come check out rc trophy truck group!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TTDRIVER13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:02 AM   #487

I'm on there, it's a good group!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Expo_cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:31 AM   #488
Pebble Pounder

Pictures are up!!! Check out the losi page, parts looks sick af!! Christmas cmon!!

Old 10-01-2016, 11:38 AM   #489
Pebble Pounder

Old 10-01-2016, 12:19 PM   #490

Holy ****, some of the parts are stupidly over priced. Like the upper rear shock mounts, ****in $48, are you kidding me? Also the spindles are $37?! The only thing I'll be buying is the upper links and the servo mount, and aluminum trailing arms when they come out. The other stuff might be bought if it breaks or I see a dire need for it

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2016, 01:02 PM   #491

I have actually had some decent issues with the RX. One puddle was all it took for the AVC to go whacky and for the truck to just completely stop working. Other than sealing it with hot glue, did you have a better suggestion?

RollerRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:01 AM   #492
RCC Addict

You can stick the RX inside a balloon and zip-tie it shut. I don't know if the AVC receivers are supposed to be waterproof from the factory or not. I know my standalone gyros aren't waterproof.

I'm disappointed to see aluminum shocks aren't in the list of upgrades. I always upgrade to aluminum shocks.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:02 AM   #493
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
You can stick the RX inside a balloon and zip-tie it shut. I don't know if the AVC receivers are supposed to be waterproof from the factory or not. I know my standalone gyros aren't waterproof.

I'm disappointed to see aluminum shocks aren't in the list of upgrades. I always upgrade to aluminum shocks.
Losi said in a pre release FB video that aluminum shocks were in the list of future upgrades! Hopefully this is not the complete list!

Anyone try proline power strokes yet? I may try my powerstroke xt's on the rear and powerstroke slash rears on the front to see how they fit. If they work I'll let u know..
BobTeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:09 AM   #494
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
front was filled with grease OUTSIDE of the diff cup. INSIDE of the diff cup is lubed with 50wt shock oil.

the front diff housing/bulkhead is too flexible. adding a shim on the inside allowed the pinion to not get pulled out and lose maximum contact patch between the ring and pinion. but its still flexes.

ive probably ran more than 50 charges on my truck. really beating it on the track. and to say ive only lost one pinion is a good thing. I just want the bug to go away so more people buy the damn thing. so im trying to figure out where the problem lies.

the paint marker trick will show me what kind of contact we are getting. showing areas of contact on the ring gear. by adding or subtracting shims I can see where its really needed. if it needs it at all.

Have you had any more issues since installing the boca bearings and new ring pinion gears. I blew a front ring/pinion bearing as well. A few others have messaged me on my YouTube channel with this issue as well. Been working on other kits by I have plans for a full set of fast Eddy bearings in the near future.
BobTeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:39 AM   #495
I wanna be Dave

no problems with the boca bearings at all. im in the middle of track build and THE SERIES banquet, so the rey is back together but untouched till my first fun run October race at Washtenaw.

alum shocks should be coming out soon. and as far as powerstrokes go.. all we need is the right length.. but spring rates may be tooo soft for this truck in the front.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:41 AM   #496
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerRider View Post
I have actually had some decent issues with the RX. One puddle was all it took for the AVC to go whacky and for the truck to just completely stop working. Other than sealing it with hot glue, did you have a better suggestion?

silicone conformal sealing. hot glue... the water might seep through.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:00 PM   #497

Does anyone know what length shocks fit in secondary mounting holes on the trialing? There's a guy on instagram that mounted a set of Hot Racing shocks with the fake remote resis but he said they were 140mm. The longest I've found are 120mm, but the front location fits 117mm stock, has anyone else mounted a secondary shock?
Old 10-03-2016, 02:49 PM   #498
I wanna be Dave

I haven't and never will. I know thay have to be longer than stock. measure hole to hole at full droop and see what length you need.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:23 PM   #499

Why won't you? Realistically it helps with dampening, ide assume it would work the same on an rc truck. The only thing that would be an issue is if it had springs on it, but ide be using a smooth body shock with about 60 weight in the coilover and maybe 30 in the smooth body
Old 10-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #500
I wanna be Dave

I like the way it handles with the stock rear setup. Loosey goosey. But as you ad more fluid in a second shock the rebound and compression becomes slower. I like my axle to drop fast and compress fast. It hooks well on the straight and just let off the throttle to turn and mash it to swing the rear around. Just my style of driving i guess. Dont set your truck up to someone elses standard. Tune it to your driving style.

Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunder Tiger Jackal 1/10th 4wd Desert Buggy RichMTB01 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 01-19-2016 12:36 AM
Vaterra 1/10 Twin Hammers DT 1.9 4WD Desert Truck RTR spectre Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 10-01-2015 07:54 AM
HPI Mini Trophy 1/12 Scale 4WD Desert Truck constantmotion Non Crawler RC's 31 08-01-2010 09:56 PM