Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Looking to make a 1/24 scale "mini me"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2016, 10:31 PM   #1

Default Looking to make a 1/24 scale "mini me"

Hey guys. This is a long read so bear with me. I've had the idea of building a model of my pride and joy, my old Chevy pickup, for a while now. I found a Ertle model of a 93 c1500 a couple years ago and thought I'd try making a custom model so I lowered it and plastidipped the body (yeah yeah, that won't be happening this time around). This is what it looked like.

I lost interest before I finished and just found it the other day after 2 years.

I started looking around YouTube and saw videos of rc crawlers and thought that was really cool, then I came across a guy who took a 1/24 1999 Silverado from revell and a losi micro crawler and combined them.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xGwAGfh7gmo
It gave me the idea of building a smaller, rc version of my truck. I also saw videos on YouTube of guys who had trucks (Toyota Hilux)that look like they rolled off the showroom floor. They were that detailed and realistic looking (stock, small tires, etc..)

Things I have questions about
- the truck is a long bed and my truck is a short bed so I will need to shorten the bed. I have very little experience with plastic models and none with body modifications so advice, tips, tricks, products would be very helpful
- would a losi micro crawler be best? I saw something about xmods today. I need to look into more to understand it all. Or is buying an either of those the way to go compared to buying all of the parts individually?
- I don't plan to do a lot of off-roading with this one so a ton of power isn't a necessity
- I want headlights, taillights, driving lights to light up. How do I go about making this happen?

Here's the truck in its current state. Once I get the bed shortened, it'll be painted to match the truck

This is my truck just to show the direction I'm headed with this build

If at all possible, I'd love to have leafs in the back and independent front suspension just to keep it as close to my truck as possible but if it's not possibly, I'm fine with whatever works.

All in all, something like this is my end goal. Looks like the real thing, with scale looking wheels and tires, except mine will have a little lift because my truck is lifted.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tDtVKnhSm-E

Sorry for the long drawn out post. I know it's a lot and it's confusing, Just wanted to get all of my ideas down and explain what I want the best I could. If you guys can provide insight, thoughts, etc.. That'd be great and id appreciate it. I'm still researching everything on my own, I spent several hours yesterday reading forums and watching videos on YouTube.

Thanks guys and gals

Last edited by 95C1500; 01-06-2016 at 10:35 PM.
95C1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2016, 01:13 AM   #2

Default Re: Looking to make a 1/24 scale "mini me"

I looked more into those xmods. Unless there are others that would work, I don't think the xmod titan will work. The wheel base doesn't seem like it would line up with the wheel well of the truck
Old 01-07-2016, 01:56 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

If you want it for a crawler then use a crawler platform. Trail Trekker, Redcat Sumo, or the likes. If you want to scoot around the house you may look for a different platform to start with. You can change the wheelbases of the crawlers with custom links fairly easily.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:44 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

First, 95c1500, welcome! You ask all the right questions. And until you read one of my long drawn out posts, don't even think you are confusing! I may suggest grabbing a sacrificial lamb of a model to cut up, learn to glue up, sand on even. You obviously love your truck, and the pressure of writing on your finished truck may cause you not to finish. Believe me, life can get in the way of having fun, don't forget to HAVE SOME FUN.
Anyhow, you can start with any Rc base, but if you can, choose one you can build on, in case you decide to make it more than an around the house zoomer..Brake Weight suggested the top Hobby grade platforms. Sumo costs less, is slower, but has different qualities, Trekker doesn't four wheel steer, and it's faster, but arguably has less scale parts, like the axles. I've seen some trucks even built on the model chassis, adding the rc axles and links to it, since it fits the body. I'll stop while I'm behind, and let someone else chime in, I'm hand building a new aluminum chassis anyhow! :-)

Sent from My Galaxy using the Force
penneyma79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:53 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply! I'm right in the middle of cutting up the bed to shorten it. I picked up some primer, paint and clear today and I've got the cab/hood/tailgate primered right now. I have several other models I could practice on (which I probably will with the putty). The frame I'm using (for the time being anyways)comes from two different models (different companies, both are the same old old chevy truck). I think, if it's easier, I'll just use the plastic model's frame to do this. I'll probably order one of those HSP mini crawlers (HSP 94480 1/24 RC Off-road Mini Climber/Crawler - US$69.99) and use the axles/electronics on the plastic model frame. That sound like a feasible option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by penneyma79 View Post
First, 95c1500, welcome! You ask all the right questions. And until you read one of my long drawn out posts, don't even think you are confusing! I may suggest grabbing a sacrificial lamb of a model to cut up, learn to glue up, sand on even. You obviously love your truck, and the pressure of writing on your finished truck may cause you not to finish. Believe me, life can get in the way of having fun, don't forget to HAVE SOME FUN.
Anyhow, you can start with any Rc base, but if you can, choose one you can build on, in case you decide to make it more than an around the house zoomer..Brake Weight suggested the top Hobby grade platforms. Sumo costs less, is slower, but has different qualities, Trekker doesn't four wheel steer, and it's faster, but arguably has less scale parts, like the axles. I've seen some trucks even built on the model chassis, adding the rc axles and links to it, since it fits the body. I'll stop while I'm behind, and let someone else chime in, I'm hand building a new aluminum chassis anyhow! :-)

Sent from My Galaxy using the Force
and do you have a thread for the chassis you're building?

Last edited by THX_138; 01-08-2016 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:46 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Here is the link to my build, there are a few builds I've seen which utilize the styrene frame from the model of origin- that option is good for fit and finish, but may not old up to heavy use in the long run..
Sumo Metal Ford
I am currently building an updated frame but haven't taken any pics to update, yet..
penneyma79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:41 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Sounds like you're getting a handle on things and some good suggestions already.

A whole truck is probably a better deal in the long run than buying parts, to answer one of your questions. Obviously the advice on here will be biased towards the various micro crawler platforms, but it is probably the best way to go. The xmods is likely to need some chopping about to get it to fit, and will always be less capable - and for what they are, they're expensive.

The hsp is reported to have various issues out of the box but can be sorted with some tweaking. I don't have first hand experience of one, but it seems like a good option to me. The sumo/hbx axles are more scale with crown and pinion instead of worm gears, but will be too wide for what you want imho - I suppose they can be shortened but that is major surgery. The losi micro and trekker are very similar to the hsp - the trekker has wider axles so I'd go for a micro if you can find one, but the hsp is very similar.

Bear in mind that whichever crawler platform you go for, the wheel diameter will be way too big to truly get the look you're after - at 1/24 you'll have scale 24" rims wearing 48" od rubber. Someone posted one of these bodies mounted on a trekker chassis on Jim's fb group:

Looks great and gives you a capable crawler/offroader, but not fully scale. To get scale replica looks (at the expense of some speed and lots of grip) you can chop the hex mount out of the micro wheels and glue them into the back of the kit wheels - not impossible but I thought it would be helpful to mention.

Like Penneyma79 says, remember to have fun!
Sparks1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:42 PM   #8

peneyma79: I read your build, I like where it's going! I might attempt making a chassis if the plastic model one doesn't work out, which I have a feeling that it won't.

Sparks1337: thanks for the reply man! I'll look into the issues hsp has. What kind of issues have you heard about?
Are there any companies or vendors that can wheels and tires to match to look proportional to my truck? Something like that would be worth the price to me.

Honestly, having my trucks body on that setup you posted would look awesome. I'd be perfectly fine with it if I can't make the truck look just like mine

If you look in the bed of the picture I posted, you can see the kit wheels and the bfg tires. They fit together and that's what I planned to use. But they aren't the wheels that are on my truck so I was hoping to have some classic bullet holes rims and some bfgoodrich ATs made, if that's even a possibility.

--——
I've got the cab, hood and tailgate painted. The bed has been sectioned and is glued together. I'll run and grab some more paint and some putty to make the bed look decent again.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:49 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Look at the Chinese sites like Banggood or GearBest. They sell a 1/35th f150 and lots of parts. If you want more scale those axles should tuck more under the body than a 1/24 Losi or Redcat. That 1/35 has a floor pan and interior and is real scale compared to the conventional crawlers available. There's an unboxing and assembly somewhere in this forum, too.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Look at the Chinese sites like Banggood or GearBest. They sell a 1/35th f150 and lots of parts. If you want more scale those axles should tuck more under the body than a 1/24 Losi or Redcat. That 1/35 has a floor pan and interior and is real scale compared to the conventional crawlers available. There's an unboxing and assembly somewhere in this forum, too.
Awesome! I'll look into it. Thanks!

update: Cleared the cab, tailgate and hood. I'll get pictures up soon. Also started messing with the bed. I applied some putt and I'm waiting for it to dry so I can start sanding it down. Hopefully I'll have it painted tomorrow
Old 02-14-2016, 03:46 AM   #11

I haven't forgotten about this project. I got everything painted and wasn't happy with my body work so I decided to retry it. Hopefully it'll turn out better this time.

Looking to make a 1/24 scale "mini me" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy to make "Very" scale shocks for leaf sprung trucks. T I N Y General Scale Talk 6 08-19-2013 09:20 PM
Make it more "scale looking" bashcrawler Traxxas Crawlers 29 09-21-2012 05:42 PM
Will the xr10 make a good "mini clod" monster truck? rocresq Axial XR10 3 11-25-2011 12:35 PM