Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Natedog's Axial SCX24, let's get small

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2020, 05:38 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Natedog's Axial SCX24, let's get small

Well that was a quick backup just in case servo purchase, not particularly hopeful that it's not junk. Searching for a quality stronger servo instead, any other suggestions?

Factory usb charger is still working albeit slowly, but I bought the plugs with leads that B-MOW71 recommended in his thread, made adapter for my Hitec X2 etc. battery balance charged in about 15 minutes. My ESC and motor have remained cool to touch even after 40 minutes crawling.

Crawler in a (shoe)box literally everything in one box. Bought Altra zero drop running shoes before PLBTF couple years ago (they are sponsors and have a run/crawl yearly competition.) https://www.altrarunning.com/

Ordered couple spare lipos, replaced rollcage lightbar with 3d printed straight tube (thanks Casey! userid HumboldtEF), using ABS-like Photopolymer Resin from Elegoo, not sure I like the print material though, needs to cure with UV rays (sunlight or UV lamp works) but when drilling the holes out before assembly, it kinda comes out chalky like shavings. Nylon would be better it seems. I hand-made this part out of SCX10 black plastic parts sprue the other night, it was sweet and perfect 0.125" diameter! Then I drilled screw holes too small and it twisted the end off during assembly even though I lubed the screw with Chapstick.
AX80018 parts: http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax80018

https://www.thingiverse.com/HumboldtEF/designs

Last edited by Natedog; 05-13-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2020, 06:39 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Natedog's Axial SCX24, let's get small

I have a cheap SamsClub knockoff Pelican box I keep my Fungi Goat and my Barrage in. Transmitter won't fit but both of them will with a micro driver set from Harbor Freight as well as a charger and several lipos. Forget the size but it may be a little bigger than that shoe box. Plus you could throw it out the truck going down the road and they'd be fine inside.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:53 PM   #23

KFC containers! I'm glad to see I'm not the only guy that recycles them for RC use! :thumbsup:

I was thinking about cutting off the light bar myself and designed and printing a crossbar. Thank you for sharing the file from Humboldtef!

Which resin printer do you own?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:02 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Hey Nate, are you going to try adding some weight to your truck. I could put some together for you if you are. I'm trying some rear weights now, (axle mounted) which are 10 grams each, and some add on weights for the HR brass knuckles that are 6 or 10 grams each.
Ernie.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:01 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

BrakeWeight, great suggestion for storage and transport of these little trucks!

Tim, yep re-use everything if possible, they're great little containers. I toss a small magnet in there with the parts so they don't fall out all over just in case. You're welcome, I don't own a printer but looked into them. Co-workers' printer and don't recall, he's had a couple, this one he got in on the initial crowdfund deal, it's got optional attachments to laser etch metal etc.

Ernie, yes I'm looking to add some weight down low, I'll try some out but am using stock plastic knuckles, not brass. Let me know what I owe you, thanks!
Old 05-14-2020, 12:13 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
BrakeWeight, great suggestion for storage and transport of these little trucks!

Tim, yep re-use everything if possible, they're great little containers. I toss a small magnet in there with the parts so they don't fall out all over just in case. You're welcome, I don't own a printer but looked into them. Co-workers' printer and don't recall, he's had a couple, this one he got in on the initial crowdfund deal, it's got optional attachments to laser etch metal etc.

Ernie, yes I'm looking to add some weight down low, I'll try some out but am using stock plastic knuckles, not brass. Let me know what I owe you, thanks!
I will try to get something out to you next week. I'll see what I can come up with for the stock knuckles.
Ernie
Old 05-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #27

there are servo mounts for the savox sh-0257 and hitec hs-65mg on shapeaways. i do not have these servos and am not sure if they are easy to mount to the stock tray.

manini333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:07 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by manini333 View Post
there are servo mounts for the savox sh-0257 and hitec hs-65mg on shapeaways. i do not have these servos and am not sure if they are easy to mount to the stock tray.

The SaVox servo is the same size as the emax. Mine bolted up to the stock tray. You’ll need longer screws. There’s a gap between the tray and the servo flange. But they work fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by PFongemie; 05-14-2020 at 07:15 PM.
PFongemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:38 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Hey Nate, just wanted to post that RPP has Gear Head micro wheels in stock right now.

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/gea1292.htm

Ernie
Old 05-15-2020, 11:08 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
I will try to get something out to you next week. I'll see what I can come up with for the stock knuckles.
Ernie

Awesome, thanks Ernie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manini333 View Post

I've seen some nice ones from Mod19RC, haven't looked much yet otherwise though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFongemie View Post
The SaVox servo is the same size as the emax. Mine bolted up to the stock tray. You’ll need longer screws. There’s a gap between the tray and the servo flange. But they work fine

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Hey Nate, just wanted to post that RPP has Gear Head micro wheels in stock right now.

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/gea1292.htm

Ernie

Thanks, I much prefer silver or white wheels, those are nice though hmmmm.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:37 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Crawled last night and this thing is quite capable without much mods so far, an excellent mod would be quality oil filled shocks to tame the bouncing and quick weight transfer that hinders climbs and off camber situations, going to put a dab of really thick buggy diff grease in each stock shock for now. A motor with more torque and same maximum rpm would be nice too.

Was able to fit all my stuff from the shoebox into a semi rigid transmitter case that I use for 1/10 tx. Looking into hard case as BrakeWeight suggested.

Still haven’t installed any of the 3D printed parts I’ve got, not happy with the Elegoo liquid print material, still too soft, flexible and kinda sticky even after several days in the sun, won’t bother with this print material again. Imo there are much better print material alternatives.

Last edited by Natedog; 05-15-2020 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:28 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Awesome, thanks Ernie!

I've seen some nice ones from Mod19RC, haven't looked much yet otherwise though.

Thanks!

Thanks, I much prefer silver or white wheels, those are nice though hmmmm.
Hey Nate, If you're looking for white glue on, I just ordered a set of these. He has several designs.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/WM...284&li=ostatus

Ernie

PS: A little update on your axle weights.

I took a extra set of the stock knuckles and turned them down just enough to get the weights centered and glued the weigh on with some black E6000. You will need to do the same to the rear weights, they are a press on and then hit them with some E6000.

This is what the weights look like mounted on the HR brass knuckles.

I will put them in the mail tomorrow!
Hope you and Timm are doing well!
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 05-18-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:37 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Stock wheels and tires have been doing pretty well so far, but that may change.

Brass weights (brake rotors) look great Ernie, thanks! Looking forward to more Codyboy Racing goodness!

My 3d printed parts made with the Elegoo liquid (on a good printer) still have some shiny looking spots, the rest is kinda matte grey color. They also still feel kinda sticky despite being out in full sunshine for several days, hard pass on that type of print material unfortunately.

Supporting another RCC member here and ordered some of RexRacer19 (his SCX24 Deadbolt thread)
Mod19RC SCX24 Deadbolt Build
(Mod19RC on Shapeways) nice looking parts for my Deadbolt from Shapeways using their black natural versatile plastic.
Improved steering linkage:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/PP...73656&li=shops

SCX24 Low CG ESC/RX Mount + Shock Towers
https://www.shapeways.com/product/L7...65120&li=shops

SCX24 Low CG Battery Tray + Shock Towers
https://www.shapeways.com/product/EC...55844&li=shops

Blueberry cobbler skies

Last edited by Natedog; 05-18-2020 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:23 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Ernie, parts received, looks great, will get some pictures and testing, thanks again!
Old 05-28-2020, 11:34 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Hey Nate, just wanted to post that RC4WD has these back in stock.
Wrangler MT/R 1.0" Micro Scale Tires

3 Review(s)

Your Price: $8.99
Ernie
Old 05-28-2020, 02:58 PM   #36

So I jsut got my SCX24 from a local Hobby Shop that luckily had one in stock and it was a Jeep. Had it on back order since April from Hobbyy Town. Also ordered the Panda Hobby Tetra K1 (Power Wagon). They are on back order at the hobby shops, but was next day shipping on Amazon. What a bargain those trucks are. $109, 2 batteries, same remote, but you can turn lights on and off with remote, much faster speed, steering servo seems stronger, oil filled shicks. I love my Jeep, but man that Panda is nice. Just need to put in lighter shock fluid. Looking forward to minor modifications on the SCX. One thing I wanted to mention here is the Panda wheels are pre-weighted. I think like 30g each compared to the SCX 24 11g. Almost exact same size. I think I will try a quick swap to see how they do on the SCX24. Nice mods in this thread btw.
SF RC24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:37 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Ernie, I'm rocking the stock tires and wheels for now as they work quite well and I'm trying to keep rotational mass and weight in general down. If and when I go the metal beadlocks and aftermarket tires, the RC4WD MTR is definitely one of the top choices from what I've researched as well as they look great! How much do the RC4WD stamped steel beadlocks weigh with the MTRs mounted up?

SFRC24, glad you were able to snag and SCX24 which imo is the better of these two overall, will be interesting to see what you do with them both! Can you swap the oil filled shocks to the SCX24, I haven't compared the lengths or spring rates, have you?

Mod19R parts shipped from Shapeways Tuesday this week, getting excited!

Last edited by Natedog; 05-29-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:32 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Got out Friday afternoon (after work) for all afternoon/night hike and crawl! Packed up literally with hydration backpack, burritos, soda pop and the micro Deadbolt, hiked some miles, ate dinner, crawled for long time until after dark. We started out on a nice warm sunny afternoon in shorts hiking, progressively got windier and colder until the wind was whipping the trees and waves were smashing against the shoreline as loud as we've ever heard out there! Wasn't too bad as long as we pulled out hats down tight and kept walking around, but there was no swimming this day. Diggin through my pictures...let's see here...SCX24 sure packs up light and tight, love it, everything in one nice neat pack!

Last edited by Natedog; 06-01-2020 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:40 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Night approaches and the wind was kick'n! That be the moon up there, not the sun.

Last edited by Natedog; 06-01-2020 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Mod19RC printed parts from Shapeways arrive couple days ago, looks great! Installing one piece at a time to quantify the improvements. Here’s the LCG battery tray installed along with my new ‘alloy’shocks.

Mod19RC parts all laid out as received. Still waiting on my Emax servo should bought the cheapest one, would probably already be here. Checked out my Spektrum SX-107 servos and they look a bit to tall even with the printed mount. Going to look through my spektrum aircraft aileron servos, might have something that will fit.

Vaterra Team Driver

Last edited by Natedog; 06-06-2020 at 11:55 AM.

Natedog's Axial SCX24, let's get small - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial SCX24 waqr Videos! 0 03-04-2020 01:59 AM
Axial SCX24 waqr Videos! 0 03-01-2020 12:35 AM
My new Axial SCX24 topfueluhl Micro Scale Rigs 4 01-14-2020 06:54 PM
Natedog's 1.9 Wrascenderaith Natedog Vaterra Ascender 79 08-24-2016 11:44 PM