Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: SCX 24 - Layer by Layer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2020, 09:06 AM   #101
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: SCX 24 - Layer by Layer

Found a new crawl spot. It’s a huge concrete dump site so there’s plenty of features to play around on. I was short on time and didn’t take many pics, but here’s a thread bump anyways.

Bray D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2020, 09:19 AM   #102

Great spot, you could spend all day!
Vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:50 AM   #103
I wanna be Dave

Looks like a lot of fun!

I can already see myself there lmao

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #104
Quarry Creeper

It's a pretty nice spot. Super easy to get to and a lot of potential. A guy could have a lot of fun if he set up some gates.

The bigger slabs down along the riverbank are far too big for the micro, but I want to take my 1/10 out there one of these days to see what all is drivable. I think it'll be a pretty solid proving ground.
Old 07-21-2022, 11:33 AM   #105
Quarry Creeper

Two years! How time flies.

Much has changed in the micro world since I’ve updated this thread. I find myself looking at brushless kits and comp chassis more often than I’d like to admit. That said, the rig is still doing great as an old school, brushed, mostly 3D printed crawler.

I ended up overdriving the front with a 14t gear. Works great for keeping the front end down and suspension settled.

I also installed some hex wideners. These are +5mm per side, but I wanted to reduce the scrub radius a bit and machined them down to +4mm. This feels like a great width. Nice and stable without being too obnoxious.

I’m running a high clearance 4 link now too. I had to reprint my servo mount to accept the upper links. The high clearance lowers made a noticeable improvement on the rocks.

With these additions the rig is around 377g and was overloading the CI soft foams. Swapped in medium foams and it does way better. Still conforms to the terrain but has way more support.

That’s it for now. I’ve been having a lot of fun backyard crawling in the evenings lately. 1:24 scale is awesome.
Old 07-25-2022, 08:44 PM   #106
Rock Crawler

Your Deadbolt is looking good. I staked out an area to put a track for the 24's in the side yard but the the heat came so that's on hold. I like the rock sliders you have on your Deadbolt did you download them or are they your own design?
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:20 PM   #107
Quarry Creeper

Good to see you’re still around, Gramps. Thanks for the kind words.

My outdoor quarry is fantastic during the summer. I still need a more permanent solution for when the snow starts flying.

The sliders are my own design, but I uploaded them to thingiverse recently so they’re available for download. They require trimming the body below the door line.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5429056

I’ve been tinkering again. Ended up snagging some of the last V1 u-joint axle shafts from Dlux and got those installed last weekend. Requires trimming the axle housing to allow for knuckle clearance. Right now my tie rod contacts the diff cover at 45* of steering. I’ll likely reprint a tie rod to squeeze a little more angle out of it.

This new found steering is causing massive interference issues with the sliders and body. I always thought the front links were a little short anyways, so I went ahead and ordered a set of C10 links to stretch the front. The added length will hinder turning radius a bit, but it should give more stability on climbs. I think it’ll be a net positive.

I did some crawling on a public course last week so I may as well throw a couple pics in here. It’s a 1/10 course but the 1/24 did awesome.

Old 08-18-2022, 10:07 PM   #108
Quarry Creeper

Printed a new tie rod with more offset so it wasn’t hitting the diff cover, but it looks the same as the old one so no pics.

I got the C10 links installed and decided to run slightly shorter uppers. I stretched the deadbolt uppers with nuts as spacers to put me ~1.5mm shorter than the C10 uppers. Rolls the axle back a bit for more caster and allows the steering horn to clear the body win-win.

I also thought I’d try the 50t Injora motor. Pulled the sticker off but kept the purple motor plate. Looks pretty classy.

And last but not least put springs back on my shocks and printed a new rear upper link mount to increase my anti squat a bit. The shocks are angled so much that it’s still essentially a droop setup, but having springs makes it drive better. Smoother transitions between obstacles. Less clunky.

I’ve been getting a decent amount of drive time lately. The 50t Injora is a noticeable bump in torque over the Barrage and the suspension mods seem to be working well.

Old 10-14-2022, 12:22 PM   #109
Quarry Creeper

Still doing some tinkering. I’ve re-printed a few things and recently made some pretty slick knuckle weights so I thought I’d update the thread.

After stretching the front, the shocks were laid down a bit too much and it lowered my ride height up front. Decided to redesign the receiver mount / shock mounts to give me more options. After finding the height I liked, I reprinted the rear mounts so I could match ride height front and rear.

I added some hair ties to the front shocks to keep them from unloading on climbs too. It limits articulation for sure. I’m tempted to experiment with internal spring shocks setup for droop but I haven’t committed to the purchase yet.

I also chopped the frame forward of the front shock mounts. It’s so low now that it was hitting the steering links so it had to go.

Not the best pic, but here’s the current setup.

Didn’t have any brass bar stock so I made these out of steel. They’re still pretty heavy. This will let me take some weight out of my wheels to keep the same rig weight, but now it’s lower and non rotating.

Old 10-14-2022, 09:09 PM   #110
Pebble Pounder

Nice mods. A driving video would be cool.
2471:24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 02:40 PM   #111
Quarry Creeper

I pulled some weight out of the front wheels and ended up going back to the stock rear diff cover to help with forward weight bias. Sitting right around 370g with a battery in it and close (but not quite) 60/40 split.

I cobbled together a GoPro onto my Tx so bear with me. Videos will get better once I dial in that setup.

SCX 24 - Layer by Layer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Color backing and layer - for a newbie Jboucher Paint and Body 20 01-03-2018 12:16 PM
Rolands Winter project scx build..Scx trophy truck ROLANDROCKSHOP Axial SCX-10 20 03-10-2016 01:21 PM