Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: FMS ROC Atlas 6x6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2020, 03:31 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default FMS ROC Atlas 6x6

Got my Atlas today and I am very impressed at first look.

The packaging is actually useful! Other manufacturers should take note about how functional this packaging is for storage and transport. It is rugged EPO foam like used on many RC airplanes.

Obviously the same axles as the CR-18 (pictured on right) but the steering is way stronger than the floppy CR-18 steering. I cant nail down why it's different yet but the Atlas steering has little to no slop at all, even though it looks like the same linkage parts as the CR-18.

Also notice there is only one upper control arm on the Atlas front axle to make room for the 140(?) size motor. This motor actually has some pretty good slow crawling torque, but of course, I need slower . This setup would be a great upgrade for a CR-18.

I have only driven it in the house so far but I am very impressed with the third axle articulation. The rear deck has a functional tool box and a headache rack with clips for ...things...? Also a couple o mount points for more lights or other scale accessories. With headlights and tail lights, this is an excellent value for a micro truck.

Shape_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2020, 03:43 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: FMS ROC Atlas 6x6

I can't wait for mine to show up!
The difference in the front linkage setup is the updated 3 link. The updated CR-18s all come with the 3link, or you can buy a kit for about $5

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:58 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Never liked tiny crawlers but that one intrigues me a lot :O
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:02 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Never liked tiny crawlers but that one intrigues me a lot :O
I'm thinking the same thing. I have one of the original ECX 1/24s and it's not fun at all. No modulation at low end.

This thing looks like it performs well, plus it available through one of the big US distributors (i.e. parts supply).

I may have to pull the trigger on one of these.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:35 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheTrail View Post
I'm thinking the same thing. I have one of the original ECX 1/24s and it's not fun at all. No modulation at low end.

This thing looks like it performs well, plus it available through one of the big US distributors (i.e. parts supply).

I may have to pull the trigger on one of these.
I'm not going to lie, this, like all other out of the box micros, does not have the low end torque that you want for actual crawling.

I may be misunderstanding what you mean by "No modulation at low end" but the Atlas modulation is perfectly linear throughout the throttle range as long it is on a flat level surface. Its lust that when it gets to an obstacle to slowly crawl over, the motor doesn't have low voltage torque and wont turn until you slowly increase the throttle to the point that produces the voltage it needs - but at that point it's too much voltage and the truck lurches forward. This is the case with almost every micro "crawler" out there and is why I always modify the gearbox to a higher gear ratio to get that low end crawling control.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:25 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I can't agree more. Of the 5 or so micro crawlers I've had, I have done something to each and every one of them as for low end speed. Bigger motor cans to tranny swaps.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:23 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

For what it's worth this uses the same transmission from the HobbyPlus CR-24 and CR-18. It already has the most gear reduction available in these ring and pinion crawlers (other than gear motors) but you can swap the 54t spur for a Barrage 64t spur and run a 9t pinion instead of a 12t for a noticable improvement in torque and slow speed control at the cost of top speed. I will more than likely run a bigger more powerful motor like a 130 or 180 and go to 3s power

Old 09-15-2020, 12:13 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Did I mention how awesome the box this came in is?
Old 09-15-2020, 12:49 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The nice foam box was one of the first things I noticed in the unboxing videos. It's even nicer than the thick cardboard they use for the Panda Hobby Tetra.

Old 09-15-2020, 02:12 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape_Shifter View Post
I'm not going to lie, this, like all other out of the box micros, does not have the low end torque that you want for actual crawling.

Thanks for the info. Not sure I'm ready to pull the trigger then. I don't have time to do the mods on the 1/10th stuff that I already have with all the readily available upgrades. Not sure I want to monkey with a small (but cool looking) micro unit at the moment. Maybe I'll hang out for a couple months and see what options others are doing so I don't have to experiment. Just buy what they've had success with.

Thanks.....
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:05 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I did some detailing on the wheels, toolbox, and exhaust stacks.

Old 09-18-2020, 03:22 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I put a 9T pinion and a 64T spur gear in the tranny. Its a little better but still not as smooth as I like.

Old 09-23-2020, 07:25 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape_Shifter View Post
I put a 9T pinion and a 64T spur gear in the tranny. Its a little better but still not as smooth as I like.

Where did you find the pinion and spur gears?
shiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:32 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
Where did you find the pinion and spur gears?
For the spur gear you can use one from an ECX Barrage/ FTX Outback/RGT Adventurer. That's what I've been using and recommending. They are inexpensive on AsiaTees and ebay if you don't already have one.
9t Pinions are a little more tricky lately. I know you can custom order from Germany and they'll make them, but it's a long wait time especially lately and not cheap for what it is. I may have a few extra I can sell but I keep forgetting to check when I get home.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:42 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
For the spur gear you can use one from an ECX Barrage/ FTX Outback/RGT Adventurer. That's what I've been using and recommending. They are inexpensive on AsiaTees and ebay if you don't already have one.
9t Pinions are a little more tricky lately. I know you can custom order from Germany and they'll make them, but it's a long wait time especially lately and not cheap for what it is. I may have a few extra I can sell but I keep forgetting to check when I get home.

How many teeth are on the little brass/bronze gear in 1/10 servos? I've used several of them and can't remember now. I had to heat one up to put on once and another I wicked a drop of solder into it to make it stay put.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I'd imagine the tooth count depends on the brand, size, and model, but it's supposedly a common size and thread pitch. I believe what I've seen posted was 10t .3 mod. I should have a few 9t .3 mod somewhere.

Old 09-23-2020, 12:13 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'd imagine the tooth count depends on the brand, size, and model, but it's supposedly a common size and thread pitch. I believe what I've seen posted was 10t .3 mod. I should have a few 9t .3 mod somewhere.

May be worth finding a cheap source of servos just to open up for a gear.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:06 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:

The pinions are tricky. It is not just the tooth pitch, but the motor armature shaft diameter. For example, the SCX24 motor and Barrage motor shafts are different.

If I could figure out the pitch I may be able to use a slot car pinion.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:13 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Axial SCX24, HobbyPlus CR-24/CR-18, Losi Micro/Trail Trekker, RC4WD Mini Gelande, Proline Ambush, even Losi micro T, 1/24 Micro SCT/Rally/Truggy, all use 030 motors

All ECX Barrage/RGT/FTX, Element Enduro, Atlas 6x6, and Roc Hobby Katana all use 050 motors that are just longer 030 motors.

Both 030 and 050 motors have a 1.5mm shaft.

All mentioned crawlers and I believe also the Panda Hobby Tetra use pinion gears with mod 0.3 "pitch"

I haven't found them yet, but I'm positive I have some 9t laying around.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:39 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Axial SCX24, HobbyPlus CR-24/CR-18, Losi Micro/Trail Trekker, RC4WD Mini Gelande, Proline Ambush, even Losi micro T, 1/24 Micro SCT/Rally/Truggy, all use 030 motors

All ECX Barrage/RGT/FTX, Element Enduro, Atlas 6x6, and Roc Hobby Katana all use 050 motors that are just longer 030 motors.

Both 030 and 050 motors have a 1.5mm shaft.

All mentioned crawlers and I believe also the Panda Hobby Tetra use pinion gears with mod 0.3 "pitch"

I haven't found them yet, but I'm positive I have some 9t laying around.
I have both the SCX24 and Barrage motors. The shaft diameters are definitely different and the pinions not interchangeable.
The 0.3 pitch means nothing to me. I and use to 48p, 64, 72 used for slot cars, and I have seen that used for some RC gears.

FMS ROC Atlas 6x6 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FMS Atlas 6x6 Crawler 1/18 donaldsneffe General Scale Talk 16 01-24-2022 04:43 AM
FMS Atlas 6x6 RødeDK Multi Axle Rigs 4 09-07-2020 09:22 AM
team atlas? a_vdk Electronics 18 02-01-2017 02:42 AM
Ford atlas losikid Chit Chat 9 02-10-2013 03:36 PM
Atlas 2, kind of..... Eritex Inc. Chit Chat 171 10-16-2008 08:14 PM