Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Monster beetle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2022, 10:47 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Monster beetle

Since I’ve gotten the itch for speed I decided to do Another build on top of my other build on top of the two micro crawlers that need some work. It never ends.

Here’s the start of my ecb3dprinting monster truck chassis. I was a little worried about Durability because you know “3D printed” but this is a top notch print by Erik! Very solid and ridged feeling. I don’t think this will be breaking anytime soon. I’ll get some more close ups of the chassis in the future.

Borrowed the body from my gt24 just to see how the beetle would look on this chassis. In my opinion it looks fantastic. I have a team blue grove beetle body on the way as we speak. I feel the lexan will be better suited for this “basher”.
If the proportions are off with tbg I’ll either grab another entex model or I’ll tryout old time rc’s lexan beetle.

And since I’m going for a fast truck, I wouldn’t dare use worm driven axles. Here’s a throwback to the old days of micro crawlers. Redcat racing 1/24 sumo crawler Ring and pinion axles. I’ve seen these axles run on 4s with no issues in durability. I feel these will get the job done for now. I do plan on grabbing a set of msa-1e axles from carisma in the future. The reason for this is I can utilize the differential from a carisma gt24 inside the msa-1e axle housings. I’ll be able to run 3s and keep it straight!

Also wanted to throw in that You know Erik from ecb3dprinting is a straight up g when he includes holographic monster truck Valentine’s Day cards in his kits!

Stay tuned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slambaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2022, 01:34 PM   #2
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Monster beetle

Can't go wrong with a beetle build!
JC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 05:41 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
Can't go wrong with a beetle build!

You’re absolutely right about that!

Small update!

Got the sumo crawler axles mounted up!

Decided to run the carisma oil shocks for now. I’m not to fond of these shocks just because of the amount of play in the ball studs. I saw hot racing is releasing long travel oil shocks so I will be definitely swapping over to those as soon as they release.

I’m running into an issue using the sumo axles though. I cannot keep the wheels on tight. The nuts will back off anytime I run them. On the flip side though, if I tighten them the wheels bind. Maybe someone has some tips for me? If I can’t figure of the wheel situation I may swap over to carisma, enduro24 or snag a set of rc4wd yota 2 axles.

At this moment I have all the electronics mounted. The furitek godzilla and lizard pro is a monster of a set up. I’ve been hearing complaints about this set up (not fast enough) but most people are running it on worm axles. On ring and pinion it’s nuts. The torque and the speed is more then enough for my set up. I was planning on running 3s but it’s uncontrollable.

And here’s a poser shot of the body. I’m waiting for my lexan bug body to show up from team blue groove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slambaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 10:02 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

It looks evil, I like it! Use thread lock, it works. I have changed the wheels, shocks etc. so often on my scx24, that the lock nuts would fall off after a while, especially when applying throttle and the wheels would spin to get over an obstacle. It wasn’t that nice trying to spot the small lock nuts outdoors. Then I started using thread lock and the lock nuts have stayed on since that.
2471:24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 11:30 AM   #5

nice!
PorkBellyPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Monster beetle - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monster Beetle airdreams1 Non Crawler RC's 4 08-16-2010 12:29 PM
Monster Beetle Robotboy Non Crawler RC's 2 07-19-2010 11:53 PM
Monster Beetle QD rcjeepbuilder Chit Chat 11 11-28-2007 06:19 AM
Monster Beetle Dumptruck 2.2 Scale Rigs 19 12-26-2006 11:08 PM