Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: The "Little White Bronco " Story.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2023, 10:26 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: The "Little White Bronco " Story.

Made a couple changes to the Bronco the other day.

Popped in a set of Injora 12-22 overdrive gears. The Bronco had a pretty good steering radius to begin with but these should help it turn a little tighter and climb a little better.

Slathered with Lucas Read & Tacky and ready for installation. Sorry about the dark picture.

I also reinstalled some brass steering knuckles. I had brass c-hubs and knuckles on there before but took the knuckles off to use on my Defender.

I had to lightly sand off the powder coat on the hubs and knuckles to get these to turn nice and free.

All back together now. Just have to put the hex and wheel back on and we're ready to roll.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited by JimK; 03-31-2023 at 10:44 AM.
JimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2023, 12:09 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Well, for now I think I have done all the upgrades that I want to this Little White Bronco. I'm very happy with how it has turned out and with how it performs on the trails and rocks. I may in the future take the roof rack off and replace it with an Injora light bar that integrates right into the stock roof rack. That light bar looks much cleaner and would get rid of some weight up top. We'll see?

Here is the finish weight with no battery. It started at 509 grams with the Pro Scale light kit installed. It's actually a little lighter than the last time I weighed it due to the Furitek carbon fiber chassis.

Final weight with the battery.

Last edited by JimK; 04-16-2023 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-02-2023, 12:44 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

It's a beautiful sunny day here in southwestern Ontario so I took the Bronco out to play in the back yard.

Old 04-02-2023, 03:01 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

That's a cool looking course.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 04:51 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
That's a cool looking course.
Thanks. It's a fun little spot.
Old 04-05-2023, 02:59 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Took the roof rack off the top of the Bronco today. It looks a lot cleaner up top without it and the led light bar was not particularly bright anyway. I'll toss it in the parts bin and find a use for it on some other project later. Less weight up top is always a good thing too.

I ordered up this RC Lions light bar that integrates with the stock roof rack. This light bar looks nice and clean and hopefully it will be a bit brighter too.

Last edited by JimK; 04-05-2023 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-07-2023, 07:41 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Did a bit more trimming to the front bumper tonight. I decided to trim out the led light buckets since I wasn't using them anyway.

Should give the front tires a better "look" at rocks and other obstacles when approaching.

Last edited by JimK; 04-07-2023 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-08-2023, 11:10 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Coming along nicely Jim. I follow your nice Bronco build (and courses)... but swore off upgrades. Well that didn't work! Lol
Did a set of Traxxas wheels/tires and Injora wheels/tires. And a printed bumper.
Need to do the low gear set (hate to lose wheel speed) to make the 62mm tires work - they are a bit much for stock. Then steering.
The little rc sure blows away my Scx24 Chevy in wheeling and realism.
I'm trying to keep up! Cheers

(pic of mine coming along)

Maxxamillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 03:32 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxamillion View Post
Coming along nicely Jim. I follow your nice Bronco build (and courses)... but swore off upgrades. Well that didn't work! Lol
Did a set of Traxxas wheels/tires and Injora wheels/tires. And a printed bumper.
Need to do the low gear set (hate to lose wheel speed) to make the 62mm tires work - they are a bit much for stock. Then steering.
The little rc sure blows away my Scx24 Chevy in wheeling and realism.
I'm trying to keep up! Cheers

(pic of mine coming along)

Nice!! That's a good looking Bronco. I really like that blue. I keep telling myself I'm done with mods too but as you can see that usually doesn't last very long. My SCX24 Gladiator and TRX4M Bronco are both heavily modified and are pretty close performance wise now, but straight out of the box I think the TRX4Ms perform much better.

Thanks for the kind words, Jim
Old 04-18-2023, 12:49 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

@JimK, loving all the mods you've done so far, those Injora overdrive gears up front should help a lot! Are you going to do the stock ratio replacements for the rear?

@Maxxamillion, Traxxas Crawl Gear set is a huge improvement, but I bought HH 66T motor to hopefully retain the crawl ability and torque while getting back some of my wheel speed for the times when it needs a little boost. Your high clearance front bumper for 1/18 Crawler (Compatible with Traxxas TRX-4m Bronco) looks great and I'm sure is a huge help! Tried cutting up the stocker but it's so small and thin that it didn't work out well.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 05:51 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
@JimK, loving all the mods you've done so far, those Injora overdrive gears up front should help a lot! Are you going to do the stock ratio replacements for the rear?

@Maxxamillion, Traxxas Crawl Gear set is a huge improvement, but I bought HH 66T motor to hopefully retain the crawl ability and torque while getting back some of my wheel speed for the times when it needs a little boost. Your high clearance front bumper for 1/18 Crawler (Compatible with Traxxas TRX-4m Bronco) looks great and I'm sure is a huge help! Tried cutting up the stocker but it's so small and thin that it didn't work out well.
Thanks Natedog. The front overdrive definitely tightened up the steering radius. I have the Injora overdrive gears in the front of all three of my TRX4M's and I have the Traxxas stock metals gears in the rear of all of them as well.
Old 04-19-2023, 09:45 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post

Fun little builds for sure! Nate I have the complete crawl trans in hand. Waiting on the 55 turn Injora motor to come, just for the reasons you say (plus I have overdrives in case I need more wheel speed).
I also went down from 62mm tires to 58mm tires, just a tad over stock size. For me it gets too tall & tippy w/62's plus the tires lock up in the wheelwells (I am +2 all around).
I am running without bumpers now using deletes as my high clearance bumpers did not grasp the body latches. Poor print design.
Just my angles from following Jim's lead!

Last edited by Maxxamillion; 04-19-2023 at 10:00 PM.
Maxxamillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 01:14 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Great to hear about the OD gears up front helping! I'm still running stock plastic diff gears in both diffs...for now, will order the Injora OD gears for front.

Agreed about tire sizes, too big does not help. Good to know about those bumpers, was looking at them but they didnt' look like great prints. I cut up my Bronco front bumper to tuck it in tighter, but the plastic is so small and thin, turned out not good so replaced with another stocker for now.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 03:10 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Haven't driven the Bronco in a little while so I took it to work last night for a little spin on the trails.

Under the bridge we go.

And then up and over the teeter totter.

Over the bridge....

....and down through the valley.

Last edited by JimK; 04-28-2023 at 03:14 AM.
Old 04-28-2023, 09:58 AM   #35
Rock Crawler

Interesting course, not many are lucky enough to have a crawler course at work.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 10:35 AM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Interesting course, not many are lucky enough to have a crawler course at work.
Indeed....we are pretty fortunate. It's turning into quite the little trail system. I enjoy building and working on the course just as much as driving on it.
Old 05-03-2023, 03:11 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

The new light bar showed up yesterday. Gonna see if I can get it installed today some time. Looks like it just clips in under the roof rack? Not a very long wire so that could be interesting.

Old 05-03-2023, 12:17 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

I got the light bar installed today. It was a very simple installation and as it turns out the wire lead was plenty long enough to reach the esc.

I used a body reamer to make a small hole in the roof and passed the wire through after taking the plug end off. I will need to patch and paint the hole from the other light bar.

I loosened the two screws at the top of the windshield a couple of turns and this allowed me to lift the front ends of the roof rack and slide the light bar in place. Tightening the two screws back down firmly holds the light bar in place. A pretty simple and effective design me thinks.

All back together. I like the low profile look and how this light bar blends in better with the lines of the Bronco. Nice and clean.

We have light!! The light lenses are a little hazy but on the bench it seems to throw a good amount of light. Hopefully tonight at work I can see how well it lights up the trails at night.

Last edited by JimK; 05-03-2023 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-03-2023, 01:46 PM   #39

Smile Re: The "Little White Bronco " Story.

That does blend in really good! I like halogen lights over LEDs, but that does seem like a fool-proof set up for mounting. I wish you luck with your outdoor night crawling!
Logan’s RCAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 02:46 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan’s RCAdventures View Post
That does blend in really good! I like halogen lights over LEDs, but that does seem like a fool-proof set up for mounting. I wish you luck with your outdoor night crawling!
Thanks my friend.

The "Little White Bronco " Story. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
801rcc 2013 Ultra4 R/C Race #10 "White Rock 600" NaZ-T Competitions 0 10-07-2013 02:24 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM
Toy Story "Pizza Planet" delivery truck 86 Iroc General Scale Talk 19 01-30-2010 09:25 AM
The "Dirt cheap bruiser" story... WRMorrison Chit Chat 16 12-09-2005 11:21 PM