Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: What's your current go motor on a scx24?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2023, 09:50 PM   #1

Default What's your current go motor on a scx24?

For this last Christmas, I picked up couple scx24s, and I've been letting the kids upgrade them with some brass to lower the CoG. I know the motors, and servos tend to die when weight is added. So in preparation for the eventually that something is likely to fail, I've started looking at a new motor/ esc for the little things.

Furitek recently unveiled inline CEDAR, and python esc.

Spektrum released their Firma 8A motor/ esc combo.

I've seen a lot of komodo outrider motors.

What are people's thoughts on these?
diceman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2023, 09:55 PM   #2

Default Re: What's your current go motor on a scx24?

I like my furitek lizard ultimate esc and mofo rc motor. I had a lizard pro and micro komodo but something was wrong with the komodo cuz it got hot real fast and no reason

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
mikeyd5051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 10:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman42 View Post
For this last Christmas, I picked up couple scx24s, and I've been letting the kids upgrade them with some brass to lower the CoG. I know the motors, and servos tend to die when weight is added. So in preparation for the eventually that something is likely to fail, I've started looking at a new motor/ esc for the little things.

Furitek recently unveiled inline CEDAR, and python esc.

Spektrum released their Firma 8A motor/ esc combo.

I've seen a lot of komodo outrider motors.

What are people's thoughts on these?
I just recently installed the Firma. My rig is completely brass and aluminum. I even have the brass counter weights for the real axle and the heavy duty brass front hubs and on top of all that, my vehicle of choice single cab Silverado. Custom scale system I the bed for the bass heads . It feels like an old solid red brick . Firma does just fine. Overall I soendt about 135 for ESC motor and transmitter/reciever. Best part is it's all direct replacement plug and play. It's a win I'm book. Remind you tho I'm all metal .

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk
Jdaxialscx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 11:02 PM   #4

Mine was all metal until I got the little guy racing super 8 axles so now I'm back to plastic. How is the new firma? I looked at it but from what I saw it's only 2s and I like 3s

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
mikeyd5051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 06:12 AM   #5

Smile Re: What's your current go motor on a scx24?

I use the 050 66t from Injora. Not brushless, but you can plug it right into the ESC without changing it. I've had great luck with this motor so far and it doesn't even get very hot. My rig is mostly plastic though aside from the brass knuckles. They are also quite cheap. I'll attempt to link it here : https://www.ebay.com/itm/14461149042...Bk9SR7LumbmaYg Wowie thats a big link hope it works! Also realizing its not Injora branded but it works great in my truck!

Last edited by Logan’s RCAdventures; 06-19-2023 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Missing details
Logan’s RCAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 06:52 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I’m running a Mofo Torque Beast 50 in my AX24 and a Injora 050 Pro in my wife’s JLU . I don’t currently have the need to go brushless , we only use them for recreational fun .That may change if I get into the competition part of this hobby .
NWCT24CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 09:22 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

All my SCX24's are running brushed motors, I have Injora, MoFo, Holmes Hobbies, & some others. I like the Holmes Hobby 050's the best. My 2nd choice is the Injora 66T purple motor. Wasn't really impressed with the Mofo Torque Beast. None of my rigs are what one would call a weight pig. I add just enough low weight to get them to preform to my standards.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 11:13 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

After I bought my first micro komodo I have used that on all my small rigs. Can’t go back to brushed after using that.
2471:24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 11:36 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Brushless cost has been hard for me to justify although I will say that after burning up two esc's and going through three brushed motors, I'd probably have rather gone that route.

Anyway... from stock motor to 66t HR to 66t HH currently.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 04:01 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Injora 66T for me, price and what it does is just right for me Stock ESC (good enough for me) and rig weighs around 620g. I am known to be cheap though but this has been working out well.
JimrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 04:12 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

“Spektrum released their Firma 8A motor/ esc combo. “

If this is the one that just came out for the AX24 / SCX24 it doesn’t have the best reviews on You Tube .

This system also does not work with the SCX V2 Horizon blue ESC . There is no channel 2 to plug it into .

Last edited by NWCT24CRAWL; 06-19-2023 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Added content.
Old 06-19-2023, 07:38 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

https://youtu.be/157wLxSU4T8

The above is a pretty thorough test of brushed motors .
Old 06-20-2023, 12:10 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimrC View Post
Injora 66T for me, price and what it does is just right for me Stock ESC (good enough for me) and rig weighs around 620g. I am known to be cheap though but this has been working out well.

I assume you're running the V2 Horizon Hobby ESC? I burnt up two of the AE-6 before switching to a HW 1625.
Old 06-20-2023, 08:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCT24CRAWL View Post
If this is the one that just came out for the AX24 / SCX24 it doesn’t have the best reviews on You Tube .

This system also does not work with the SCX V2 Horizon blue ESC . There is no channel 2 to plug it into .
The firma doesn't look terrible, and the price point doesn't look bad for a brushless system. Yes, I know that I'll need to replace the receiver as well.

I'd like to see a current head to head.
diceman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 09:13 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
I assume you're running the V2 Horizon Hobby ESC? I burnt up two of the AE-6 before switching to a HW 1625.
Your assumption is correct

I'm sure this stock ESC will go soon enough so will have to look at alternatives. So, the HW 1625 has been working well and with what motor? May as well mention the servo will give me a chance to look at combinations
Old 06-20-2023, 09:59 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimrC View Post
Your assumption is correct

I'm sure this stock ESC will go soon enough so will have to look at alternatives. So, the HW 1625 has been working well and with what motor? May as well mention the servo will give me a chance to look at combinations
Running it with a Holmes Hobbies 66t. When I smoked the AE-6, the Hot Racing 66t motor was blistering hot so I decided to pair the new 1625 with the HH motor and Tactic TR325 rx. Wired directly to the ESC and no more ph 2.0 connector ( which also melted when the AE-6 burnt up). The Tactic tx/ rx was just what I had on hand and didn't feel like buying another transmitter... cause I'm a cheap guy too lol.

New set-up seems to be working very well... no issues. The HH motor was only slightly warm to the touch after maybe 20 minutes run time and of course the HW1625 runs like a champ. I don't expect anymore problems now with this ESC.
Old 06-21-2023, 05:48 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Running it with a Holmes Hobbies 66t. When I smoked the AE-6, the Hot Racing 66t motor was blistering hot so I decided to pair the new 1625 with the HH motor and Tactic TR325 rx. Wired directly to the ESC and no more ph 2.0 connector ( which also melted when the AE-6 burnt up). The Tactic tx/ rx was just what I had on hand and didn't feel like buying another transmitter... cause I'm a cheap guy too lol.

New set-up seems to be working very well... no issues. The HH motor was only slightly warm to the touch after maybe 20 minutes run time and of course the HW1625 runs like a champ. I don't expect anymore problems now with this ESC.
Much thanks on the info So far, the Injora 66T doesn't get hot when running but the ESC gets warm to the touch (not that hot though). I also notice when driving like a tit ... things tend to get hot quickly, which makes sense

Tags
esc, motor, scx24

What's your current go motor on a scx24? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All at sea with current ESC / motor options! jonathanm Electronics 0 05-28-2022 12:48 PM
Too Much Current From A Battery Killed my Brushless Motor? I DON'T THINK SO!! MailManX Electronics 51 05-14-2014 02:07 AM
question on esc burst draw vs motor peak current idk Electronics 10 01-14-2014 12:03 AM
Factory ESC/RX current and motor limits? 89redranger Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 7 12-29-2012 11:33 AM
motor and battery current rash_powder Electronics 3 08-08-2007 11:31 AM