Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southwest > New Mexico

Notices

Thread: Problems with the Tortuga

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #1

Question Problems with the Tortuga

So I missed the last comp because I am experiencing a major stall issue with my LNC. When it get in the slightest bind, it stalls and wont move. You can hear that the motor is trying to turn, that electronics hum that we all know and love, but it will not move. I can reverse out of the bind and then apply full throttle to get through it but sometimes that does not even work, and in a comp, I don't want the reverse penalties. Troubleshooting so far:

Swapped out motor--no change
removed BEC and ran only the stock ESC--no change
re-soldered all connections several times--no change(although my soldering has improved)
Have tried more powerful batts--no change
Reprogrammed the stock ESC--this seems to have made a slight difference (not binding as easily or as often, but still is an issue)

Could I have a failing ESC? Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot an ESC other than what I have done so far? If you agree with me that it may be a bad ESC, which ESC do you recommend? Keep in mind that I will use the ESC with the LNC and then when I get my pro-comp rig, some form of MOA rig with a punk dig, it will go in that rig.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
Wants2Crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Problems with the Tortuga

sounds to me like a power, or lack of, issue.
i have NO experience with a losi so i can't really say for sure, but it very well could be your esc. if you're set on replacing it, that's a tough call because most losi guys go brushless. but for brushed i'd recommend a holmes br-xl.
you might have better luck posting this in the losi section.
roglum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

For an esc, just about any will work for a LNC. These is no drag brake needed. I've seen people run traxxas XL-5's and 12t 550 traxxas motors. I like brushless better... But it is always more $$$.
msd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #4

I am sticking with brushed for no other reason than money. I was looking at that BRXL Adam and it looked awesome. It is a bit pricey for sure but looks like it would transition in to a pro comp MOA when I get one. I am not familiar with the XL-5 Mitch, but I will look it up now. I will post it up in the losi forum for sure Adam, I didn't even think of that. Thank you guys!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #5

Update: After some suggestions from the Team Losi Forum, I dropped my 13t pinion back in, had the 17t in there, and it eliminated most of the stall. It will stall in a moderate to nasty bind but that may just be the 2s 25-50c 1000mah batts. Truly, it is the Tortuga once again. Crawlers are meant to be slow right? I do believe I will move up to a better ESC like the HH BRXL that Adam suggested as I will need it for the pro comp anyway and I might as well get the extra power for the losi while I am waiting for the pro. With the dx3e, I am going to have to run a single ESC with a electronic dig setup correct? How does everyone feel about that BRXL in say... a bully?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Bully XR or Berg. If money is tight I would go with 4PL and dual ESC like the micro sidewinder.
rocknut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknut36 View Post
Bully XR or Berg. If money is tight I would go with 4PL and dual ESC like the micro sidewinder.
+1
the bully will work, and not break, but it's limits are met early.
dlux is going to offer some cool axles soon.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #8

I saw that Adam, and it made my decision for me. I will be going with Erik's DLUX CF berg axles. I read that whole thread and saw the pictures and vids, I am totally hooked on those. So once I can afford to start getting my stuff, that is what I will be Rocking!

Rocknut, I totally understand the benefits of running the duel ESC, but man, I can't handle 400+ for a radio. I just bought a used DX3e and will need to go with that for a while so the ESC needs to be good for that setup. I may eventually get a 4PL and go dual ESC, but as a beginner I will still need a season or two to get used to the new rig and the bigger challenges of Pro Comp. By that time, I should certainly have the funds to get the two ESC setup. I appreciate the input though for sure.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

you're thinking 4pk.
4pl is two something.
used one:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/sale/...dies-sale.html

rpp:
Futaba 4PL 2.4G FHSS w/R2104GF Rx w/ Free FUTR2104GF

just so you know.
and i think sidewinders are about 60$ each.

Problems with the Tortuga - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just went out to the track for the FIRST TIME. Problems Problems Problems flyingrc Non Crawler RC's 4 07-23-2012 10:19 PM
Diesel's AX10 1.9 rock racer "El Tortuga Rapido" (update post #41) dieselfuel Axial AX-10 Scorpion 45 02-12-2012 11:26 PM
problems hotrodsonoma Electronics 4 03-24-2011 08:08 PM
Problems problems problems hope it's worth it in the end TJcreeperJEEP Venom Creeper 9 12-22-2009 04:54 PM