Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: My AX10 order help me prune it. LOL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
Dig = disconnects rear drive shaft and locks rear axle so that you can turn sharp, decend steeper, climb steeper
here is a vid to show how it can help with more than steering:
http://www.hobbyzip.com/videos/787/c...1-%281%29.html
Notice how I lock and unlock the rear wheels and remove power at times from the rear (freewheel)

BTA = Behind the axle steering keeps you from hanging up on the linkages when approaching an obsticle.

4ws = not comp legal teaches bad habits for if you ever want to comp (also the setup from axial is a waste of money)

slipper = removes the power when you need it, sucks to be trying to make a climb or being slightly bound and the slipper kicks in to "protect" your parts. I never have ran one and have yet to destroy an axial part and I drive hard

So ditch the 4wheel steering eh?
Doesn't it come with a slipper. I'm way confused here.

What dig tranny should I use? I'll still need a servo for that right?

What do I need to setup BTW steering?

I should just send someone the money and have them build it
knuckleslammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckleslammer View Post
2 servos and 2 sets of knuckles and C's = 4 wheel steering.

So I can run the transmission without a slipper. Keep in mind, I'm a noob and 3/4 of what you said I have no idea about.
Yes, the slipper saves a little if the rig is in a bind, but the one that I have a slipper on I had to end up tightening it down as far as it would go to get it to crawl like it needs to. It still slips like it should, and I know when it slips that it was about to break something. However, I have one rig that doesn't have one, and it's taken the same beating without breaking anything.

The rear steer thing is simply your call. Keep in mind if you should ever comp it, you can't run it with that setup. Getting rid of that would eliminate a good bit of $ from not having to have that kinda servo. Strictly personal preferance on that, I've got one with rear steer that I like, I also have others with dig.

As mentioned you can eliminate getting the kit, and go to the hardware store for the screws, washers, nuts, and things like that that you need. By the time you buy axles and a tranny you would be saving $80, since you're buying different links anyway. Only other things you would have to come up with are wheels and tires, which most likely you would upgrade later on anyway, and then the link ends, studs, screws, shocks, and a few other odds and ends. Main reason I left the kit in the list I posted is because trying to piece one together might be a little overwhelming for someone that's not use to building one.

If it were me buying, I would buy cases only on axles and tranny, and buy the internal parts that I wanted seperately, as well as all the other things I would change. But that definately gets complicated, and time consuming, and you can't do it that way from one place.

Also don't worry about BTA steering on it for right now.

I'm gonna be bored tonight most likely cause the g/f has to work, and I still can't walk, so I'll see what I can do about piecing you together a list of what to buy. Just let me know what color you're wanting on links, and any upgrade options you want, as well as would you rather have rear steer or dig.

Last edited by MCSCOTT; 04-07-2009 at 12:54 PM.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSCOTT View Post
If it were me buying, I would buy cases only on axles and tranny, and buy the internal parts that I wanted seperately, as well as all the other things I would change. But that definately gets complicated, and time consuming, and you can't do it that way from one place.
I agree, peicing together a rig can be very time consuming and frustrating. I just did one as my first rig, but I probably wouldn't reccomend it to many as a first build. I spent probably a month researching and making a parts list, and another 2 months placing order's from 5-6 different vendors, building, ordering more, building more, probably 20 trips to the local hobby shop, another 5 trips to the hardware store, had friend's help me make parts, modify parts, etc. and it's still not done yet.

Ton's of fun though...
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

That would be great man. I'll slide you $20 via paypal for your troubles. I would like the 4 wheel steering, I just think it's a cool idea. I'm not comping. I don't have the time for that. I'm not a fan of the orange and green parts. I like black or grey. I have the AX10 manual. No more difficult than the Losi buggies I use to hack together, so if I could just figure out what screws I needed and where to get them. My hardware doesn't have allen screws. Then I would be able to get away without buying the kit, but I would need pretty much everything else I guess. I understand dig, but for me it's probalby more trouble than it's worth trying to figure out how to put it together and use it.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

But if the kit is going to save me some major aggravation, I'll go with it. I don't like the sounds of the last post, LOL.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
But if the kit is going to save me some major aggravation, I'll go with it. I don't like the sounds of the last post, LOL.
Just gimme til later on tonight, and I'll try to get you a list to where you can just piece things together. I've built 3, and I take them apart after every run for cleaning, about once a week when I'm running them, so I can build an AX10 blindfolded now.

Some things you may want to change, but at least I should be able to put together a good list for ya, and where all you'll have to go to get it. I'm not worried about payment either, like I mentioned I can't walk for another couple weeks so I've got nothing better to do when the g/f isn't home.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

That would be sweet. I'm problaby going to get both the eclipse and the edge. I'm probably going to end up building another one sooner or later or I'll just swap them and see which one I like better.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

definatly ditch 4ws.

For dig I would either use an axial trans and a DNA unit or just get an R2D from rc4wd. You will still need a servo for it but an Hs645 is over kill....actually, if you want to save allot of money use an HS645MG as your steer servo. Robot/super servos are great (I have an 8711 on my Bully) but they really can be over kill.

I didnt realize that you didnt have tires on the list... the kit tires suck, get a set of Losi claws (or any of the new offerings)

They dont come standard with a slipper and I really wouldnt bother with 1.

Also, if your a little handy and have a couple mins, you can easily make links from either delrin or brakeline. How to for brakeline: http://www.suburbanchicagorockcrawle.../Tech_Tips.php

The TCS edge is a good setup but, it retains the stock axial chassis which in my opinion is less than perfect. Their are many offerings in the vendor section that will out perform it (GC2 or CDW come to mind)

As for the BTA...see my sig
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That would be sweet. I'm problaby going to get both the eclipse and the edge. I'm probably going to end up building another one sooner or later or I'll just swap them and see which one I like better.
Ok, that puts the price up that much more, but I will make sure to use both of them on the list. Just post up any more details you'd like specifically and I'll keep it all in mind. Main thing I'll have to figure out is shocks, because on the Eclipse from what I've seen you can run sprung easier because it's lighter, and for that I would want the Losi shocks. On the Edge I run the Hot Racing ones because they're almost like the stock ones except a little shorter. You can also use the internal springs from TCS on the HR ones, and you can't on the Losi's.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

The g/f has ended up being off this evening. I just put together a parts list just from things from TCS but you really end up with way too many things you don't need. I'm gonna go back in the morning and put something together just buying the axles and tranny already built, since the stock parts are plenty strong. That will save trying to come up with each and every screw. Doing it that way the odd and end screws are simple to come up with.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Well I've never used dig before. Is it really that good to be able to lock out the rear axle? I'm not competing. I just think 4ws is a cool idea.

Perhaps you could include that as an add on or if it's too much remove it

Option 1 - just with regular front steer

Option 2 - front steer with dig

Option 2 - front steer with 4ws.

I do want a set of these though, they look killer

That adds $50

I don't know if I need these
CKRC, 4130 Chromoly Transmission Outputs for the AX10 [ck4130] - $23.99 CKRC Crawlers, RC Rock Crawlers

I def want alum knuckles and C's

I can make my own drive shafts out of Stampede ones (if that's right)
I need the yoke's too though right?

I really like this one, you still have it? I like those rimz man.

tires, no idea, I'd like that rims you have there with perhaps some huge backhoe type tread tires. LOL.

Shocks, no idea, I'd like something that is adjustable to the point where I could droop it or prop it up. I'll buy more sets later I'm sure.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Hey I wish I was on my computer so I could help out some more (I'm on my iPod right now).

I still consiter myself a noob on here but by now I understand how crawlers work and the lingo. Once your here long enough and read enough threads you get a better understanding of things arroumd here.

I started with a stock ax10 kit and a cheep 27turn motor from an old buggy I used to have I also started with a cheep radio and esc. After a while I learned what needed modding and what could stay stock. For you I would suggest just getting the kit version ( this way you know your way arround your rig and understand a little better how it works. ) aluminum c's and knuckles are a good mod ( the stock plastic peices can break in a tumble. I would suggest a 55t motor and novak crawler esc with a split 7 or 8 cell nimh pack for the front axle. For the radio get what you want a cheep one will work but a nice one is always a plus. Tires are also a must have upgrade. I started with Losi claws and they were way better than the rock lizzards now I have panther cougars and they work great. There's many tire choices out there. Another thing you might look into are the hd lockers in the axle and aluminum wheels. Other than these basic things you should be off to a good start. Mod it more later on so your not spending so much up front and you can plan better the parts you'll
need. Hope this helps at all the stock rig kept me prety busy for about a year (stock chassis) modding little things here and there.

Last edited by ctrwannabe; 04-07-2009 at 10:20 PM.
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

hey check out tcs bargain bin to they have a truck all set up with the edge chassis and all kinds of extras for pretty cheap
axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #34
Suck it up!

X2 on the cheaper servos. I run a TowardPro on the front of my super and a Hitec on the rear without issue. Both were less than $30 each. I'd stick with front steer only for now, then go dig later. Rear steer is cool, but takes a whole new thought process when you run your lines. Sometimes I wish I could turn mine off...

I'd ditch the links. The ones with the holes in them do look cool, but links are sooooo cheap easy to make, even the bent ones.

All those axle plates are easily made as well. A 4"x10" sheet of aluminum is $4.40 at the hardware store. Add an $8 coping saw and a couple $5 files and you're all set.

Link plates are another low cost, easy build item. Lexan is good, or even the super-thin cutting board sheets will work.

The trans outputs are not a bad idea.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

So what's the result or isn't there one yet? Start cost est. vs. 'pruned' cost?
VeryBumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #36
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

I soooooooo remember being in this same place..........about 10 rigs ago

Good luck with it....and remember, you don't NEED to buy all the badass top of the line goods on the first build. Don't need to take a leap of faith head first. Take it slow...you have plenty of time. Make some smart decisions so that you don't get it all together and say to yourself "why the hell did I spend the money on that?"
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:48 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

I do still have that chrome Edge, but I don't know that you would want those rims. The tires that are on there are about the best that's out right now as far as rock gripping, and if you go with something stiffer you might get by with the wheels, but for softer tires like those Panthers or Losi's those wheels don't hold the bead very well. I ended up having to glue them on those until I finally find a set that I like for it.

I'll see what I can work up today sometime. I will probably start out with just listing the transmission and axles already built, because after working up the way I would go on them last night it was already over the budget and I didn't have the motor, esc, batteries, or charger listed. Plus some of the screws get complicated because on some TCS doesn't list the quantities that come in the packs.

I'm just about still thinking buying the Kit version would be better starting out. Sure, you will end up with alot of stuff that you wont use, but at least you would know that you have every part, screw, and nut that you would need for the build. Personally I go clean out Ace hardware, so it wouldn't be any big deal at all to come up with all the right screws.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:14 AM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Cheaper servo or no? What brand did you say? Towardpro?

What are these things on the axles? the orange ones

Last edited by knuckleslammer; 04-08-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:22 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

The orange aluminum pieces on those axles are lockouts. You will want to go with something similar if you don't want rear steer so that your rear axle will be straight like that. I would prefer the Axial brand lockouts and straight axles though.

As far as servos go, you can go with the much cheaper TP servos, or even a Hitech 645. Up front you mentioned you wanted the best, and since I have broken both of those servos in the past with minimal use on them I figured you would want one that was almost bomb proof. I only run 5955's and 7955's on my rigs, but you can get by for a while with something cheaper starting out.

Just let me know which way you wanna go on it. I can work up a list to get it down under $1k if need be.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:45 AM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Well I just lost my mind

SKU Product Item price Quantity Total

SKU17359 3Racing Upper Link Mount for AX10 Scorpion #3RAC-AX1031 $12.99 1 $12.99
SKU16807 Hot Racing CNC Aluminum 3 Link Connector for AX10 #SCP08M01 $8.88 2 $17.76
SKU17336 Axial Racing Machined High Clearance Links Grey (2) #AX30469 $25.99 2 $51.98
SKU17308 Axial Racing Aluminum C Hub Carrier for AX10 Scorpion #AX30495 $25.99 1 $25.99
SKU17309 Axial Racing Aluminum Knuckle Black (2 each) #30496 $25.99 1 $25.99
SKU39917 Axial Racing Aluminum Rear Axle Lock-out (2pcs) #AX30494 $29.99 1 $29.99
SKU33338 AX80003 Solid Axle Set $10.99 2 $21.98
SKU30865 TCS Aluminum Axle Plates for Axial AX-10 Scorpion (2 each) $12.99 2 $25.98
SKU30737 On Sale! $4 off - TCS Black Anodized Aluminum Upper Link/Servo Mount for Axial AX-10 Scorpion (1 each) US Patent Pending $7.99 1 $7.99
SKU16523 On Sale! $2 off - TCS Delrin Boomerang Upper Link Mount for Axial AX-10 Scorpion (1 each) US Patent Pending $5.99 1 $5.99
SKU16806 Hot Racing 6061 Aluminum Center Gearbox for AX10 #SCP3801 $33.88 1 $33.88
SKU17373 TCS Edge truck, everything shown $219.99 1 $219.99
Subtotal: $480.51
Shipping cost: $69.54

I asked them to take this off the order. I don't know why I ordered this

SKU16806Hot Racing 6061 Aluminum Center Gearbox for AX10 #SCP3801 $33.88 1$33.88

Here's the truck

TCS Edge truck, everything shown
TCS Edge truck, everything shown. Comes with everything shown in the pictures. Most if not all of the truck is there, but no gaurantees. There may be a few small missing pieces here and there. Come with edge frame, side panels with black widow graphics, high clearance links, rc4wd tranny and a stock tranny (missing out output), hot racing aluminum wheels with losi claw tires, stock rims with stock tires, tcs upgraded skid, big bag of spare axial parts. Sold as is.Details
SKUSKU17373Weight9.50 lbsPrice:$219.99 Options
QuantityOut of stock

Detailed images

Not sure what else I will need. It says it's missing this. missing out output ????

Is that these?
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...Moutput007.jpg

I will go with a high quality servo. How is this one?

CS-170 Titanium Geared Ultra Torque Dual BB (Standard Servo with Universal Connector) #HCAM0316

See details CS-170 Titanium Geared Ultra Torque Dual BB (Standard Servo with Universal Connector) #HCAM0316

Our price: $89.99
Quantity 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Ordered these, hope they will work
Traxxas Long Truck Half Shafts H&BE

Last edited by knuckleslammer; 04-08-2009 at 07:49 AM.