Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #461
Pebble Pounder

looking to b adopted by someone with alot of ax-10 knowledge looking for tips and tricks
tmaxxdout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2010, 10:54 PM   #462
Pebble Pounder

axial help!!! torque twist... I bought my ax10 on thursday. Since then have changes alot. HD bent lower links. Upper y 3 link setup stock lenghts. Novak goat 3 brushless setup losi threaded aluminum shocks 80 weight oil in the left rear shock cranked all the way down. Can't get rid of extreme torque twist!!! What do cam I do to reduce or hopefully eliminate this

Last edited by booher26; 06-16-2010 at 07:57 AM.
booher26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:19 AM   #463

Quote:
Originally Posted by booher26 View Post
axial help!!! torque twist... I bought my ax10 on thursday. Since then have changes alot. HD bent lower links. Upper y 3 link setup stock lenghts. Novak goat 3 brushless setup losi threaded aluminum shocks 80 weight oil in the left rear shock cranked all the way down. Can't get rid of extreme torque twist!!! What do cam I do to reduce or hopefully eliminate this
good idea starting with adjusting the shocks but i would advise going a step further and putting a stiffer spring on the shock you have cranked down also consider investing in a 4 link suspension this will help with the twist alot
Good luck
Some Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:25 AM   #464

whats the advantage of having an after market chassis? I have a AX-10 and it seems like the chassis does everything I want it to Ive never been to a comp so haven't seen why they use em there. so im wondering why spend the money on the after market chassis?
Old 06-27-2010, 03:38 AM   #465

Also in addition to my previous post i have been thinking about going to some comps and researched it and it seems like everyone is using digs. my question is are digs really necessary? can i survive a comp without one and not lose too bad?
Old 06-27-2010, 03:56 AM   #466
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by booher26 View Post
for torque twist you need to
1. mirror the tranny
Mirror Imaged Transmission
2. 4 link it front and rear
Hardware Requirement : Axial Bender Customs 4-link Plate

I would also read up on ...
droop shock set up
bta steering
wrap your ant around a chunk of lexan
in board you lower link (if you have plastic ones or alum get delrin
get you battery down low

that should be plenty to get you going
hende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:00 AM   #467

Default adopt a solider

My son and I are looking to get into crawling, and have been scouring the web on the best way to get started. We used to own a Nylint, but Army life keeps us on the move, and unfortunatly we had to leave the Jeep behind.
Any one looking to shoot some PM's, or emails even, back and fourth would be a big help.
Thanks for making this thread, you have no idea how much it helps!
-Glen
gigadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #468

Default Axial

I am Looking to find someone to help me out with building a AX10 type crawler. Looking to go totally custom, might buy the new XR10 kit in August or just build from scratch from axles up or from chassis down. Not a noob at R/C as a whole but totally green at crawling. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
GutWrench
GutWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #469
RCC Addict

Default i just want some tips

I have been into rc everything over the last 25+ years. I just got my first crawler about 6 weeks ago. I got the axial honcho and about a week after i got it my 10yr daughter took it over. I then went out and bought an ax-10 scorpion. I wish i would have got another scx-10 but its to late now. I would really like to make it into a scaler instead. I was looking at the xtrail frame to get started. Is this a good way to go?? I have seen alot of people on here building there own frames and that really seems to be the way i want to go. Any ideas would be great...and would also like some ideas about a good servo and esc for backyard fun... not doin the comps. Dont want to spend to much more just for playin with kids and friends.

thanks

ps ihavent had this much fun with rc since i got my first hornet...
buggynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:48 AM   #470

I dont think anyone actually reads this thread.
GutWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #471
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutWrench View Post
I dont think anyone actually reads this thread.
Why do you say this??

Are you looking for a response to your previous post in this thread?:

"I am Looking to find someone to help me out with building a AX10 type crawler. Looking to go totally custom, might buy the new XR10 kit in August or just build from scratch from axles up or from chassis down. Not a noob at R/C as a whole but totally green at crawling. Any help would be appreciated."

If so, please be a little more specific and we'll see if we can help you out.

Crawler builds are unlike any other type of of R/C car kit build. A healthy dose of engineering/imagineering/ adaption/improvisation is a must if you want a better than average performing rig.

How much are you planning on spending?

What are you building/fabrication skills like?

Intended usage: playing around in the back yard or serious competition?

What are the typical surface/course conditions where you are planning on running?

What are the design objectives for your build: durability?, low weight?, etc.

What is your driving style?

Let us know,

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #472
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggynutt View Post
I have been into rc everything over the last 25+ years. I just got my first crawler about 6 weeks ago. I got the axial honcho and about a week after i got it my 10yr daughter took it over. I then went out and bought an ax-10 scorpion. I wish i would have got another scx-10 but its to late now. I would really like to make it into a scaler instead. I was looking at the xtrail frame to get started. Is this a good way to go?? I have seen alot of people on here building there own frames and that really seems to be the way i want to go. Any ideas would be great...and would also like some ideas about a good servo and esc for backyard fun... not doin the comps. Dont want to spend to much more just for playin with kids and friends.

thanks

ps ihavent had this much fun with rc since i got my first hornet...
I'd suggest the Axial SCX-10 chassis kit. Most places have them for about $59, and they are steel, and include shock towers, skid with centered link mounts, cross members, battery tray and brace, and all hardware. Awesome deal, and nothing performs better! The X-trail is decent too, but I prefer steel chassis. Get a Hitec 645MG or Hobbico CS-70 for a good basic steering servo...

Have fun!
ryan
rbgerrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #473
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Old Guy View Post
Also in addition to my previous post i have been thinking about going to some comps and researched it and it seems like everyone is using digs. my question is are digs really necessary? can i survive a comp without one and not lose too bad?
Dig provides a huge performance advantage when used properly, but a good driver without it can still do well. Depends on course design too... If you build a super capable rig with no dig and practice a bunch, you can do fine!
Old 06-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #474
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz14 View Post
Ok...I'm a newb wanting to get into rock crawling...so here are my questions:

In the "Bully vs Berg" section, some Bully guys talk about preferring a heavy set-up....what are the advantages of a heavy set-up...disadvantages.

Also, I keep seeing lightweight wheels...but then people add weight to them...would it be better to just use heavier wheels?

Sorry if I seem ignorant to the obvious, but if they had a "Rock crawling for dummies" book...I'd buy it! Thanks!
Heavy puts down a lot of traction, but can lead to more breakage, and I've found the heavy trucks dont always sidehill as well. If your truck is heavy, be sure to properly foam, oil and spring it. Different weight trucks will need different setups...

ryan
Old 06-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #475
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutWrench View Post
I am Looking to find someone to help me out with building a AX10 type crawler. Looking to go totally custom, might buy the new XR10 kit in August or just build from scratch from axles up or from chassis down. Not a noob at R/C as a whole but totally green at crawling. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
GutWrench
Pick up the XR-10 and call it good!
Old 06-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #476
RCC Addict

Default I would love to be adopted

I have been very disappointed in the lack of responses to questions in the various different areas of this forum so I think an adopt a noob is a great idea. Thank you very much for getting this thread going.

First, I am not a kid, I have over 20 years experience in RC, electric and nitro though I do nothing but electric now. I have or have had in the last 2 years about 18 trucks, all go fasts and all ultimately Brushless with the exception of a couple Nitro’s. I have recently been selling some to thin the herd to what I really run and what my wife runs.

I have a bad habit of finding a new interest and jumping on it with both feet. I discovered crawling recently and bought a SCX10 Honcho, put a spec Novak system and 2.4GHz in it right away and then started the scale mods and rearranging the electronics for better weight distribution. While doing that, I bought a used SCX10 to make into a mud truck and while working on it, I bought a Timberwolf. So I have 2 rebuilds and a build in progress now and I have yet to put anything on a rock. I also have plans for a topless D90 build, a Willys M38 build and maybe a Willys truck build. Lol, so I am real busy and find myself stumped.

So, where do I need help? ESCs and Motors in general and specifically for my Timberwolf. From the videos and descriptions I see of competitions, it looks like most consist of crawling, a little trail work and some water/mud obstacles. So, I think I want a waterproof ESC. The balloon idea doesn't appeal to me. That means I have the choice of a Holmes Torquemaster for brushed or a MTroniks G2 Pro for Brushless. Holmes Hobbies is out of Cobalts and don't know when they maybe be able to build any more, so I don't know what to run with it. I am clueless what would be best for the Timberwolf based on it's weight, 35T, 45T, 55T or bigger? The G2 comes with a 3.5T to 10.5T and I think I need something closer to a 17.5 to 21.5 so not sure where to look for those unless I go with a Nue. Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

My Receiver and BEC are in a waterproof box and my Servo is grease packed and I will be dipping it, so they are fine and I will waterproof the batteries also.

My SCX10 scaler will run for now on the Novak and I may upgrade to a Goat once I get a little better feel of what crawler motors people are using. My SCX10 Mudder is currently using a XL5 and Titan but I am changing it over to a VXL system.

Oh, and feel free to work on my grammar and spelling. And if your going to adopt me, do I get an allowance?
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #477
I wanna be Dave

Your spelling and grammar are in the top percentile, no worries there! If I were you, I'd go Holmes Torquemaster and a nice handwound 35 or 45T, and hit it with a 3 cell Lipo. Fun!

Ryan
Old 06-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #478
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbgerrish View Post
Your spelling and grammar are in the top percentile, no worries there! If I were you, I'd go Holmes Torquemaster and a nice handwound 35 or 45T, and hit it with a 3 cell Lipo. Fun!

Ryan
As you are one of the rare ones on this board that actually replies to noobs, thank you very much. I also exchanged a few emails with John from Homes Hobbies so I ordered a TorqueMaster BR-Xl and one of his Epic Hand wound 45T motors. Now that I have made the plunge back to brushed, I can't wait till he gets a new source for the 7T Cobalts.

Thanks again for your help.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #479
RCC Addict

is the TorqueMaster BR-Xl a lipo only esc? just checkin to see if i have to up grade all my batteries... yes im noob to all the new equipment since i have been out of rc stuff for about 4 yrs.

thanks
buggynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:11 PM   #480
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggynutt View Post
is the TorqueMaster BR-Xl a lipo only esc? just checkin to see if i have to up grade all my batteries... yes im noob to all the new equipment since i have been out of rc stuff for about 4 yrs.

thanks
Nah, it'll run on NImh/Nicad and other suitable batteries- as long as the voltage is within its specs...

rYan

Tags
axial, berg, help noob, whats a dig?, whats clod stall?