Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #661
axx

Default Re: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

Hi,

Just starting out into crawling, have read info's looked at pics, but have the usual dilemma. Trying to decide between the original ax10, the new ax10 ridgecrest, or the scx10. Now I am aware of their differences, however, like most people, i would like my cake and eat it lol.

I like to build, modify, experiment with trucks, I like the scale look, but I also am impressed with the technicalities of crawling, I guess not wanting to be restricted by the scale class in terms of articulation etc.

So, shall I buy an scx1o for scale, and modify it to crawl, or, do I buy an ax10, new or old, and fit/construct a scale like body?

Cheers

Noob
axx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #662
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by axx View Post
Hi,

Just starting out into crawling, have read info's looked at pics, but have the usual dilemma. Trying to decide between the original ax10, the new ax10 ridgecrest, or the scx10. Now I am aware of their differences, however, like most people, i would like my cake and eat it lol.

I like to build, modify, experiment with trucks, I like the scale look, but I also am impressed with the technicalities of crawling, I guess not wanting to be restricted by the scale class in terms of articulation etc.

So, shall I buy an scx1o for scale, and modify it to crawl, or, do I buy an ax10, new or old, and fit/construct a scale like body?

Cheers

Noob
Hi,

I'd suggest a Ridgecrest. With its Wraith running gear, you'd always be able to pick up an SCX10 or Wraith chassis later and convert it to a cool scaler, and in the meantime you'd have a good, capable, and tuneable all-purpose crawler. The Ridgecrest chassis is a nice platform- it's got a bunch of adjustments to change performance, and it's simple. It also has better suspension geometry than the old AX10 chassis, and comes with good electronics for a good price. 2 cents!

RYan
rbgerrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #663
Rock Crawler

whats up guys im new and from ohio it would be great to see if this hobby is alive here, i used to do rc way back in the day but had no idea they had 4x4 its a lot cheaper then putting 10,000$ my truck after some reviews and reading up on stuff im starting with the HPI Crawler King Jeep Wrangler Rubicon RTR and im so ready for full custom stuff so if u guys hav anything to say shout!!!
Ohioskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #664
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioskills View Post
whats up guys im new and from ohio it would be great to see if this hobby is alive here, i used to do rc way back in the day but had no idea they had 4x4 its a lot cheaper then putting 10,000$ my truck after some reviews and reading up on stuff im starting with the HPI Crawler King Jeep Wrangler Rubicon RTR and im so ready for full custom stuff so if u guys hav anything to say shout!!!
Have fun! Crawler Kings are cool, very durable. First thing I'd do is mount the steering servo to the axle- all the linkage o nthat thing develops lots of slop.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #665
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbgerrish View Post
Have fun! Crawler Kings are cool, very durable. First thing I'd do is mount the steering servo to the axle- all the linkage o nthat thing develops lots of slop.

i did a good amount of digging on that crawler and my truck isnt even here but im already getting ideas on new locations and already bought stiffer linkage can u recommend any good performance upgrade sites
Ohioskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #666

Soo soon enough this summer I am looking to get a "scaler" hopefully an Axial Honcho or Dingo. However, im wondering about places to run it. Are nature trails good? or a forested area with walking paths?
Spencr G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #667
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencr G. View Post
Soo soon enough this summer I am looking to get a "scaler" hopefully an Axial Honcho or Dingo. However, im wondering about places to run it. Are nature trails good? or a forested area with walking paths?
Definitely...dude they are sooo much fun you can zone out for an hour just trying to climb up one carpeted step in your house! I personally like the rocks.
Mr.Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Joshua View Post
Definitely...dude they are sooo much fun you can zone out for an hour just trying to climb up one carpeted step in your house! I personally like the rocks.

Thanks! I've seen a couple of trails not to far from here and I'm itching to get a crawler and hit the rocks!
Spencr G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #669

Here is a seriously newbie question. I am running a redcat RS10 xt. I am making my own rear steer lockout and I will attempt to make my own 30 degree bent links for the lowers. I have seen a few videos on how to make an inexpensive rear dig unit. All the DIY stuff I am doing is pretty cheap. However, the issue is a radio. Now for the question. What radios are out there that are descent, with 3rd channel to work a rear dig, but are cheaper than the Futaba or Spektrum? I have seen some Spektrum dx3r's on ebay that range from 125 to 300. Is there a descent brand out there other than these? I know the Futaba is the Cadillac, but I can only afford a pinto.
Wants2Crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #670

anyone want to adopt a newb with a f350 high lift?
heavenzfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #671
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenzfury View Post
anyone want to adopt a newb with a f350 high lift?
I'll take ya in Just PM me any questions you have and I will answer them to the best of my ability
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #672

What about a noob with a Land cruiser CR-01? Anyone interested?
UFCSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #673

Another newbie here. I was into RC back in the 80's with Tamiya kits. Somebody just gave me a broken up Clodbuster and I've got it all back together except the body. For that I'm doing a Parma '56 Nomad.

Now I have my sites on an Axial Dingo and with some luck will get the kit within the next week or two.

I'm really interested in scale vehicles and crawling technical driving vs racing.

I'm in the Portland, OR area

Thanks!
Moto Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #674
Quarry Creeper

ok i bought a used rig and it has a tekin fxr esc with a 35t motor. when i bought it all was good the guy says he tested it and burnt up the servo and bec, he replaced the servo but no bec. he messages me and says i will need to wire up a cc bec in order to run 3c. is it the servo that cant handle the volts or the rx? can someone elaborate on this a little for me? maybee a wiring schedule. the rig has a 645mg servo winch, a tower pro steering servo if any of that matters.
diggindeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #675
Pebble Pounder

Hello all, I am very new to rccrawling and I am hoping I can get an answer here. I have an ax10 that I have mirrored the transmission and moved the lower links inboard. Am I going to need to make a dig unit for it or is there an aftermarket one that will work? The chassis, transmission, and driveshafts are stock units. I know I need a 3 channel radio radio as well but that is a whole other thread, .
Scocrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #676
Pebble Pounder

I have a quick question. I have an ax10 that I have mirrored the tranny on and moved my lower links inboard. Is there an aftermarket dig unit that will bolt right on with those mods or am I gonna be making my own dig? The chassis, tranny, driveshafts are all stock but the esc and rx are now mounted behind the spur gear (moved battery down and in front of tranny) Thanks in advance!
Scocrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #677
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggindeep View Post
ok i bought a used rig and it has a tekin fxr esc with a 35t motor. when i bought it all was good the guy says he tested it and burnt up the servo and bec, he replaced the servo but no bec. he messages me and says i will need to wire up a cc bec in order to run 3c. is it the servo that cant handle the volts or the rx? can someone elaborate on this a little for me? maybee a wiring schedule. the rig has a 645mg servo winch, a tower pro steering servo if any of that matters.
It's actually the FXR that doesn't like the voltage. The 3S is a bit much for the internal BEC to regulate to run both the motor and the servo. You will get a lot of glitching without a BEC. The FXR can't keep up with them both. 2S is fine with it however, so if running 3S you will definitely need an external BEC. I wire mine directly to the servo so it's getting juice right from the battery. Hope this helps ya out.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #678
Quarry Creeper

Perfect, thanks.
diggindeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #679

Cool Re: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

Up for adoption! Yes I am new to crawling but not to RC. I have several race trucks for the dirt and an off road car for the street. My good friend tommyr who lives here in Austin, TX got me interested in crawling. I love the fact that I can build a track in my backyard for crawling. Something that would be doable for short coarse but not practical. I love scalers and hope to build one soon. I keep getting emails sent for crawlers for sale but I can not access the for sale section yet. I understand this, I am on 7 other RC forums. So please bare with me while I post up some stuff to get my post count up. Then I can get down to business of getting me a crawler.
Cheers!
HollywoodRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #680
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodRC View Post
Up for adoption! Yes I am new to crawling but not to RC. I have several race trucks for the dirt and an off road car for the street. My good friend tommyr who lives here in Austin, TX got me interested in crawling. I love the fact that I can build a track in my backyard for crawling. Something that would be doable for short coarse but not practical. I love scalers and hope to build one soon. I keep getting emails sent for crawlers for sale but I can not access the for sale section yet. I understand this, I am on 7 other RC forums. So please bare with me while I post up some stuff to get my post count up. Then I can get down to business of getting me a crawler.
Cheers!
Good to have you here! Have fun building!

Tags
axial, berg, help noob, whats a dig?, whats clod stall?