Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: best crawler, money is not a problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #61
Quarry Creeper

First off the best truck is mostly determined by the driver.....unlike other R/C formats the performance is determined by how well you can understand the terrain your goin over and what the handleing characteristics are of your truck. So the best truck comes from matching/adjusting the handleing characteristics to the driver himself.

That being said, the best truck handleing characteristcs are based on how you set-up your truck (i.e. how you tune it!!) Any knowledgable RC crawling enthusiast can take nearly any brand of vehicle and build it up into a first class truck. There is NO complete off the shelf kit that you are going to be able to buy that will be anywhere near as tuned, capable or resilient as a purpose built crawler from aftermarket parts.

So if your goal is to have the "very best truck for you" then you are going to have to build it from scratch...or at the very least get a particular kit and change MOST of it as you go till you find what works for you.

To get started you need to decide if you want a "scaler" or "competition " rig....as said before a scaler is an attempt to have the most realistic truck possible, think really awesome working scale model. a competition rig is purely about performance.

If you want a scaler I would highly recommend starting with a Axial SCX-10 kit. It has all the basics you need to get a scale truck going and then its just a matter of $$$$$$ to start upgrading all the component parts to better, stronger stuff, purchase the scale body of your choice and to buy all kind of fancy items to make it look good.

IF you want a competition level rig then it gets a bit more complicated you must decide which class of rig you want to run.

1.9 class is the mini crawler class that is like 1/18th scale....the Losi mini is currently the best option in this class...once bought simply start spending big $$$$$ to upgrade everthing into aluminum parts that you can, completely replace all the electronics, and then begin the never ending process of tuning your rig.

2.2 class is currently the most popular/competitive class....it is 1/10th scale and runs with a wheelbase up to 12.5 inches. with this class you will have to decide on running a rig with driveshafts or one that has independant motors on each axle....there are pros and cons to each, but most go with MOA rigs. If you want a shafty go with either the Losi comp crawler or any axial kit. IF you want to go MOA get either a Berg or bully kit. Once you made your purchase (doesnt matter what you decided) strip it down till your just left with the axles....this is where you will start from. (scroll down to getting started)

Super class is the largest, most capable and technically challenging class both from a driving and building stand point. As such very few people have the money and skills for this class. For this class you want to use MOA axles. In all honesty there is no good kit for this class it is truely a builders class and if you cant or wont fabricate alot of stuff yourself it is a miserable undertaking as nearly everything must peiced and altered to work. You should go with either a superbully , Clod, or self fabricated axle.

GETTING STARTED

First and most important is to set aside a entire evening or better yet an entire weekend to simply read/research tech threads on this site!!! Rock crawling is about knowledge and properly applying it...whether its driving or in building/tuning your truck. I would at the very least go thru and read every topic in this thread--->TIPS, TRICKS, and MORE INFORMATION THAN A NEWBIE CAN HANDLE
And then go read as many build threads as you can in the actual section for what ever brand truck you decided to get. pick threads that have more than just a few pages. Taking note of what parts they are using.
Then order a chassis....actual make doesnt matter as long as it is something you will regularly see being used on these forums....truth is any reputable vendor on this site will have made a strong platform. Next order your electronics....you will want 300+oz torque servos, a high quality ESC that will work with brushed motors and a good TX/RX. Then order a good set of shocks that work with your type chassis and either build or buy the links if the chassis didnt come with them. You will also want to buy a good set of brushed motors if Money is no object get Hand wound motors in the 35-45t range. Once everything is assembled you will have to then drive it in order to see what you like and dislike...as you change a part or adjust the suspension from this point on only change one thing at a time so you can tell if it is an improvement or not. Rock crawling is about tuning your rig...adding weight, moving link placement, adjusting suspension and tuning tires. The best components in the world will not help if the rig is not tuned to your particular driving style. Which is why there is no such thing as a single best rig.

I hope this helps....if you have any further general questions about the above then you need to repeat the first step.

If you are the impatient type like most....simply get a ready to run or almost ready to run kit of your choice....by the time you get thru your first battery pack you will be addicted enough to actually enjoy reading every single "tech" thread on this site for enjoyment. And within weeks will have everything you think you need on order for the best truck!!
jfraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2010, 11:46 PM   #62
Rock Stacker

Thank for the info about neer a week in the forum and website
many rig are very interested
I finaly stop on 2
losi comp
worminator

now the why
losi comp easy to get replacement parts
RTR have the dig etc. Good review
and I think I can make upgrade for it
visit my business www.flyrcrivesud.com

worminator
very nice desing and my selft as a designer this look very good
the curve are nice. Only the tire in my opignon are not the best around

so as a business men I have to go with the losi
many will be sold that mean big $$ for after market parts
my choice is made thank you all

now what brushless motor give the best torque
send some link
sonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:53 PM   #63
Rock Stacker

did so research for motor and speed

best out there at the moment but could be
something else
novak goat 18.5

Now looking for a nice tube
no body any one have one good for the
losi comp. I think integy make one
Old 01-07-2010, 07:38 AM   #64
Rock Crawler

I wouldn't waste my money on anything Integy puts out, other than a few of their tools.
silentcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #65

Worminator looks good, but hardly anyone runs one. Probably cost..... I enjoy my shafty losi, but it money wasn't an issue????????
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:48 PM   #66

Sonat...Nice jeep. Looks great with the boggers. A little dirty for my taste though. I have a Cj5 too and love it. I want a cj body for my ax10 and found this one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUYX9&P=7

Instead of putting it on my Ax10 I built a tube chassis super that fit inside the body and used it for body panels on it. Came out pretty cool. 2.2 are fun but supers are awsume. I think building it was as fun as running it.
flip5513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #67
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentcircus View Post
I wouldn't waste my money on anything Integy puts out, other than a few of their tools.
X2 motors,nothing else.

and dont go brushless,get a brushed setup.
I and most everyone in our club runs a fxr,I run 45t but most guys are running 35t
you can get a fxr combo for 125 maybe.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:48 PM   #68
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip5513 View Post
Sonat...Nice jeep. Looks great with the boggers. A little dirty for my taste though. I have a Cj5 too and love it. I want a cj body for my ax10 and found this one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUYX9&P=7

Instead of putting it on my Ax10 I built a tube chassis super that fit inside the body and used it for body panels on it. Came out pretty cool. 2.2 are fun but supers are awsume. I think building it was as fun as running it.

my real jeep is for the trails
the front and back are lock
big v8 make a lots of noise
I love it, it put a lots of mud in the air!!!

STILL LOOKING FOR A TUBE CHASSIS
A BIT OF HELP WILL BE NICE ( LOSI COMP 1/10 )
SEND SOME LINK
Old 01-07-2010, 09:51 PM   #69
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock hard View Post
X2 motors,nothing else.

and dont go brushless,get a brushed setup.
I and most everyone in our club runs a fxr,I run 45t but most guys are running 35t
you can get a fxr combo for 125 maybe.

I prefer brush-less the inside stay clean
never ever again going to brush motor did
a lots of racing and hate those motor to much work!!
Old 01-07-2010, 11:18 PM   #71
dnf

well.racing you are thrwing up dirt.
not really a problem crawling.

but you may find you want to go trucking in the water.

and coging at low rpm is a problem I hear.

if you start a poll who runs what brushed or brushless. I think the brushed would have around 75% of the votes

dirt,especially oval is a different story.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:40 AM   #72
Rock Crawler

Have you looked at the traxxas summit? If your not competing and want to bash in the water, go fast and have a fun this thing is a beast. It is by no means a serious crawler or anything you could compete with but it is very well built and a blast to drive. Just a thaught.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXWEN9**

But like said in previous posts what are you wanting to do? There is a lot of knowledge in this forum and everyone is going to have a diff opinion on whats best. IMO I started out with a axial and now have a berg and it is a nite and day improvement. With that being said axial is a great company that has the best of both worlds of competition crawlers and scalers. The drivetrain parts and the product support from axial and all of the vendors on this site make it a great platform for someone to go any direction they want.
goodoldlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #73
Rock Stacker

maybe going for that one
http://www.prolineracing.com/product...em-223-31.html

it also have a lexan cover

any one have more link of tube that can be buy
Old 01-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #74
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonat View Post
maybe going for that one
http://www.prolineracing.com/product...em-223-31.html

it also have a lexan cover

any one have more link of tube that can be buy
RPP has that one on sale:

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/pro6055-00.htm

I saw it at my LHS too. It looked cool but seemed too wide in the hips to do tight quarters crawling with.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #75

Default you hate it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eron View Post
I had the losi crawler. IMO i hated it...so i would suggest a BERG. It's what im running in the 2010 comps
why do you hate it ?what wrong with it ??
yanoulecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #76
Rock Stacker

hi
today I made a new thread

look at it
sorry bad English writhing french peoples
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...42#post2214242
Old 01-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #77
Rock Crawler

Dead link.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #78
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentcircus View Post
Dead link.
It's a dead link to a terrible post asking how much would you pay for super tires if they were designed and built.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #79

Berg 2.2Mine crawls circles around the losi.
MB Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #80
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoAZ View Post
It's a dead link to a terrible post asking how much would you pay for super tires if they were designed and built.
Super tires designed and built by someone who doesn't really know what a super is for sure? Or am I reading that wrong?