Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Benefits of different sized/scale crawlers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #1

Default Benefits of different sized/scale crawlers

Hello Everyone,

Just joined and looking to get into RC crawlers as a good past time with my young son.

I want to know the benefits of the different sized crawlers. Is larger (1/8th) better? I know 'better' is subjective, but trying to find out if I should go for a 1/10th due to better/more parts support vs. 1/8th scale which seems like there is less available parts? Is 1/8th an up-and-coming size? I see Losi and Axial only makes a 1/10th scale crawler, etc.

I live on the coast with some awesome (big) rocks for crawling - so I would think that a bigger crawler would be better, no? I just do not want to be limited with upgrade/repair options later.

Thanks a whole lot!
CrawlerSynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Benefits of different sized/scale crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlerSynth View Post
Hello Everyone,

Just joined and looking to get into RC crawlers as a good past time with my young son.

I want to know the benefits of the different sized crawlers. Is larger (1/8th) better? I know 'better' is subjective, but trying to find out if I should go for a 1/10th due to better/more parts support vs. 1/8th scale which seems like there is less available parts? Is 1/8th an up-and-coming size? I see Losi and Axial only makes a 1/10th scale crawler, etc.

I live on the coast with some awesome (big) rocks for crawling - so I would think that a bigger crawler would be better, no? I just do not want to be limited with upgrade/repair options later.

Thanks a whole lot!
I got in to crawlers about three years ago for the same reason,
so what i learned is in my opinion a axial wraith 1/10 is the way to go,I started with comp crawlers i liked them but there slow and take some skill to drive...but for my son this didn't work.He didn't have the tolerance for the slow trucks, he would get bored quick......so i tried a few things and found that he loves trail rides with me, He can move around and walk with his truck and so on. I bought a rtr wraith for him it is waterproof and it is quick( for him) all around good crawler/basher your son would love it. Now for me i bought a kit wraith all the crawling/go fast upgrades you could ever want.... fun truck and it a scale truck as well.
hammer29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #3

Thanks, good point on the 'too slow' issue. I guess the dexterity of complex crawling maneuvers will be too boring for a 5-year old.
I bought him a cheap no-name truggy which is a bit too fast and also will have no replacements once it does get broken. That is why I'm looking at something fun for me but maybe also something that he could ride if the truggy breaks or still keeps on being too fast for him.

The reason I'm looking into 'super' class crawlers is that we live right on the coast with big rocks to ride on. I'm just worried that the 1/10th scale might be too small for them....
On that note: there does not seem to be many reasonably priced 1/8th sized RTR crawlers out there. Exceed the only? Others like the RockBully etc are a bit too pricey for the start methinks.
Also Losi's Nighht Crawler is not a MOA. Should I forget about any other design other than a MOA?
Old 08-24-2012, 02:01 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks, good point on the 'too slow' issue. I guess the dexterity of complex crawling maneuvers will be too boring for a 5-year old.
I got a slow crawler just because my son is too slow in reactions for driving a faster car.
He really likes driving the crawler, but only for a few minutes at a time.

Quote:
... big rocks to ride on. I'm just worried that the 1/10th scale might be too small for them...
I wouldn't worry about that. Seems like a non issue.

Quote:
Also Losi's Nighht Crawler is not a MOA. Should I forget about any other design other than a MOA?
Depends on what you want from it.
MOA seems to be the way for maximum performance if you don't bother about competition limitations. Shafties are cheaper and can be made to perform just about as well as a competition MOA.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:22 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer29 View Post
I got in to crawlers about three years ago for the same reason,
so what i learned is in my opinion a axial wraith 1/10 is the way to go,I started with comp crawlers i liked them but there slow and take some skill to drive...but for my son this didn't work.He didn't have the tolerance for the slow trucks, he would get bored quick......so i tried a few things and found that he loves trail rides with me, He can move around and walk with his truck and so on. I bought a rtr wraith for him it is waterproof and it is quick( for him) all around good crawler/basher your son would love it. Now for me i bought a kit wraith all the crawling/go fast upgrades you could ever want.... fun truck and it a scale truck as well.
Wraith is 1/8 not 1/10

Op: when you say scale are you talking about size and realism or just size? Because with size comes ease of scalism also, the bigger builds(1/8,1/6) the spaces are bigger and allow for more tuning and placements, while the smaller(1/10,1/12) it does get a bit more cramped lol
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
I wouldn't worry about that. Seems like a non issue.
Yeah, I suppose. Getting out onto the rocks is the main thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
Depends on what you want from it.
MOA seems to be the way for maximum performance if you don't bother about competition limitations. Shafties are cheaper and can be made to perform just about as well as a competition MOA.
hmmmm, so I'm not at all clued up on competition rules or limitations. Currently I presume it is more to have a nice rig (platform with supported / available parts - even if it is from different brands) to play with than competing. Also, locally there does not seem to be any crawler competitions (that I know of).

MOA should be more durable, right? Less joints that can break? Also more efficient in energy transfer?
Off-topic Q': is a MOA design overall heavier than shaft-driven?
Old 08-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
Wraith is 1/8 not 1/10
ah, okay: I thought it was 1/10 as well. Well, that might just be the thing then!

Quote:
Op: when you say scale are you talking about size and realism or just size? Because with size comes ease of scalism also, the bigger builds(1/8,1/6) the spaces are bigger and allow for more tuning and placements, while the smaller(1/10,1/12) it does get a bit more cramped lol
I suppose I mean more size than actual realism. Yes, bigger does allow for more 'play' inside the chassis and with the whole platform. I guess, more chance for a (bad) tinkerer to do some HM stuff.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Wraith is 1/8 not 1/10
hmmm... so far I can see from Axial's site, the Wraith is a 1/10?
Old 08-25-2012, 02:07 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Don't get hung up on the numbers. If your main concern is parts - go see what your LHS has. If you don't mind ordering parts online then I would say axial.
MOA is not stronger by any means and I would say has more moving parts and hears than a shaft driven rig.
What's more important is how much you want to spend?
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
hmmm... so far I can see from Axial's site, the Wraith is a 1/10?
Tamiya also say its hilux is 1/10 but it's closer to 1/9...........
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I personally prefer 1/10 scale for parts availability and better pricing than the 1/8.
Fingonunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts, scale, size

Benefits of different sized/scale crawlers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CMS/Panhard benefits? Beej Axial Wraith 76 11-08-2012 05:11 PM
benefits of a lipo booher26 Newbie General 16 06-16-2010 08:53 AM
What are the benefits of BTA? sim Newbie General 10 08-15-2009 07:07 PM
Benefits of an RX pack 1RCbasher2NV Electronics 4 07-16-2007 08:23 PM