Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: want a moa first crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #1

Default want a moa first crawler

I'm new to the crawling scene and I have a budget of 550$ and was wondering if I could get a moa crawler for not comps but just going over stuff and messing around I have a charger but another one won't hurt. If it can comp its a plus cause I would like to comp one day after I get used to everything
Snickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #2

Default Re: want a moa first crawler

I'll even buy just axles then chassis and links and electronics if needed I don't mind and I would also like to know where I can get them at thanks
Old 10-26-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

What's a moa?
TNT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:55 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT1 View Post
What's a moa?

keep an eye on the for sale section....If you want a really good crawler, just wait...or you can ask in the wanted section.

If you want new....I would say try and find a Axial XR10 for cheap (less than $200 new).

But here is the problem with MOA....you need 2 motors and usually 2 esc.
adding to the cost.

It will be tough to build a full rtr moa rig for your price. It can be done just with cheap electronics. I picked up a 2 channel radio, 300 oz servo and some wiring stuff off of hobbyking.

You can find some cheap drill motors for about $10 a piece and wire them to be ran with one esc for now....say a sidewinder or something like that.

Comp running you probably want dual esc and the ability to run a dig or I think it will be very frustrating for you on the course.

PM me and I can snap some pics of my rig and tell you what I have and how much I have invested in mine.

I just don't want to write up a whole thing about it.

Last edited by the3kid; 10-26-2012 at 07:42 AM.
the3kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #5

Would the rc4wd bully moa rtr any good I don't think I will coko with this one so I just want something to go over terrain and have fun with and be pretty durable
Old 10-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I think if you are going with a budget more research you will need to do. MOA motor on both axles can get pricey due to the need for two of everything speed controllers/motors/gears all the standard upgrades you will find that you would like to do eventually. Truly budget can limit your choices by going with moa. A lot of people that have them can tell you it can be very pricey and they would be right on the money. Keep researching on here look at everyone's build list usually they will list prices what they pay also they sometimes link the place they get them. Maybe try a kit so that you can pick and choose the quality of what you want as well u get to learn about every nut and bolt on your rig so you can identify easier if there is problem with your rig on how it performs. Most of the time when u get the rtr you get alot of parts that break easy. And you will find you invest even more to replace stock parts that will surely break as you go.
Jasper105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Redcat RS10 is a very cheap MOA. Brand new it's some <$200 RTR. It's not a very good crawler though, until you've done pretty much a complete rebuild...
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

just watch the for sale section you should be able to pick up something around that price.

for 400 bucks the bully wouldn't be bad for just playing in the yard, but would require a big investment to get the electronics and axles/chassis where you would want them for a comp.

if you find a roller in the classifieds you can get away fairly inexpensively if you can find a novak m2/dig esc (1 esc runs two motors with dig) and maybe a couple integy lathe motors. i had a cheap japanese servo on one of my rigs paid like 20 bucks and it lasted quite awhile.

any particular reason you want to go moa to start out with?

you can pick up some extremely capable comp shafties for alot less money.
slowtocrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #9

Like which ones
Old 10-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Best bet would be a Berg or XR10. I wouldn't waist your money on any other MOA. For a noobie the Berg is the way to go. Upgrade the front axles CVD's and vanquish knuckles.You can beat the crap out of it. XR10 it's alot more pricy to get it as rugged as a Berg. It all depends on what you what to do. There's a stock set of Berg axles in the for sale section for a 180 bucks.

Last edited by scram8; 10-28-2012 at 12:09 AM. Reason: adding more info
scram8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:46 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3kid View Post
keep an eye on the for sale section....If you want a really good crawler, just wait...or you can ask in the wanted section.

If you want new....I would say try and find a Axial XR10 for cheap (less than $200 new).

But here is the problem with MOA....you need 2 motors and usually 2 esc.
adding to the cost.

It will be tough to build a full rtr moa rig for your price. It can be done just with cheap electronics. I picked up a 2 channel radio, 300 oz servo and some wiring stuff off of hobbyking.

You can find some cheap drill motors for about $10 a piece and wire them to be ran with one esc for now....say a sidewinder or something like that.

Comp running you probably want dual esc and the ability to run a dig or I think it will be very frustrating for you on the course.

PM me and I can snap some pics of my rig and tell you what I have and how much I have invested in mine.

I just don't want to write up a whole thing about it.
Are hobbyking servos any good?? I always woundered about their products.
wraith is offline   Reply With Quote

want a moa first crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HB new MOA crawler? cul8tr General Crawlers 1 04-05-2012 07:30 AM
Want a MOA crawler which one? wesley89 Newbie General 2 03-15-2011 04:05 PM
Why is MOA crawler better than Shaft crawler Snaut Rocket Newbie General 31 02-07-2010 07:13 PM
MOA Crawler Build j.e.n.i.k.82 General Crawlers 4 01-31-2009 12:41 PM