Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Electronics Setup Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #1

Default Electronics Setup Help!

Hi all!

Since I was 12 I've always loved RC, but always stayed on the sideline and never bought a real hobby grade kit! Well, my GF surprised me this year and got me a G-Made R1 kit for an xmas gift! Very excited to get my rig setup and running. Since these might be obvious questions to many, I'm putting this in the newbie section instead of electronics.

So for the last day or so, I've been scouring the net to sort out what electronics I'll get. Just looking to get some feedback on the parts I'll be getting to avoid making any stupid purchases. Here's what I'm thinking:

Spektrum DX3C + SR300 (Love the price tag on this, and I'm sure I'll put the third channel to use in the future)
Tekin 45T + FXR ESC combo
Savox SA-1256TG (Maybe the SA-1283SG if I decide to spend the extra cash)

A few questions:

-What's a good BEC? I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for in one. I see a lot of people running Castle BECs. Suggestions?
-I've noticed that the Tekin 45T motor comes in about 3 different types. Pro, Heavy Duty, and hand wound. What's the best for my application?
-Battery. I'm still a little confused on what type of battery to run. 2S, 3S? Suggestions? I know that the R1's cage is pretty cramped, so that might be a limited factor in my decision.

So, what does everyone think? This a decent setup? Good choices, bad? Any major mistakes I'm making?

Thanks all!

Last edited by Jesterhead777; 12-27-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Jesterhead777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Electronics Setup Help!

Welcome to the forum.
  • The most common BEC is the CCBEC. Another option is HeyOK's No Brainer BEC. No Brainer BEC
  • The Tekin Pro motors are hand wound while the HD is machine wound.
  • The Savox SA-1256TG is a little weak for a rock crawler. The SA-1283SG would be a better choice. Other options are the hitec HS-7945sh and HS-7950.
  • The battery has to be small to fit in the R1 so you looking at an 850 to 1000 mah 3S lipo and at least 35C. Make sure to double check the dimensions since they vary depending on the manufacturer.

Other thoughts

Do a search on motor in the G-made crawler forum and look at the electronic setups in some of those builds to get an idea of what works.

You probably want a 35T brushed motor instead of the 45T to get a little more wheel speed but still have crawling torque.

To save space you might want to consider the Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR Mini ESC with a HH TorqueMaster PRO or Expert 35T motor.
Holmes Hobbies LLC
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into all that gear. I think I'll try to grab the batteries from my local hobby shop so I can check the dimension myself just to be safe!

Thanks again!
Old 12-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #4

Ok, been doing a little reading and I'll be going with the Tekin 35T Pro. Looked at a few R1 setups running them, and the performance was what I had in mind.

A lot of online retailers won't ship Lipos through certain couriers, so I decided to grab one locally. Grabbed a Turnigy 3-Cell 1300 mAh 25-50C pack. It seemed like a good price and it's just about the perfect size for my R1.

Will the 25C rating be enough? It will boost to 50C for a short while if I really lay on the throttle, correct? The guys at my local shop are pretty good, so I'm sure they'll accept an exchange if this pack isn't suitable.

Dumb questions, I know. Bear with me until I get the hang of this, I''m a fast learner I swear!
Old 12-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
Proverbial threadkiller

My go-to comp pack was just a 3S/1300/30C, so I think you'll run just fine with what you have.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Your electronics choices should serve you well. Personally, I'm a fan of Holmes ESC's, but that's strictly my preference.

If you go with a CC BEC, have it run only your servo and not thru the Rx. Also, don't forget to add an additional ground from the servo to the Rx as you'll need that with Spektrum gear. Alternatively, as mentioned above, you can go with a HeyOK No-Brainer as that is a simple plug-and-play plus it includes the necessary ground.

Good luck with the build.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #7

Great, really appreciate the help from you guys!

Just put in the order for all my electronics. Went with the 35T Pro Tekin w/ FX-R, Savox SA-1283SG, Spektum TX/RX, and a CC BEC! Rig build is just about done, now the long wait for the electronics to get here!
Old 12-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

When you are ready for more batteries, the nanotechs from hobbyking are excellent packs. I have been buying the 65-130c nanotechs and I can't imagine a better pack. Even the small packs don't puff. Make sure you order from the US warehouse and not from the China warehouse.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
... Make sure you order from the US warehouse and not from the China warehouse.
If you live in Canada (which the OP does), the HongKong warehouse is the cheapest for shipping, even for LiPo's. Not much longer a wait, either. 2 weeks vs 3 weeks.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #10

Default Electronics Setup Help!

Thanks for the opinions. I'll see what kinda run-time I get out of my 1300 mAh pack, and maybe go a bit bigger if I can find a nicely sized Lipo.

Prepare to see many soldering and electronic specific question around the forum once my gear gets here haha!

Electronics Setup Help! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Ridgecrest Electronics Setup jbsmith05 Electronics 6 04-08-2013 05:27 AM
SCX10 electronics setup craddock35 Axial SCX-10 43 02-22-2013 01:02 PM
Xr 10 electronics setup? Plz help Krawler23 Electronics 9 11-16-2011 03:57 PM
Whats your electronics setup? jeepfreek Venom Creeper 25 01-29-2010 04:52 AM
LiPo - Electronics setup speed6 Electronics 21 05-07-2009 04:21 PM