Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: In need of newb electronics help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 04:57 PM   #1

Default In need of newb electronics help

Looking to pickup a sxc10 and debating between the dingo or a wrangler and the decision is really more of a money thing. Don't mind building the kit, but I want to stick to a budget of about $400(minus batters and charger obviously)

I like the shorter wheelbase of the dingo but that's something I can change later on the wrangler rtr.

So basically with the dingo being about $250, can I get better electronics for $150-$200 than what come stock in the rtr if I search for used, or new deals on CL and ebay?
Ssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: In need of newb electronics help

The RTR ESC is actually a really nice ESC...other than needing a 12 dollar BEC to run a 3s lipo and power a bunch of lights and a winch its just as good as any brushed ESC with a 3s battery limit...You can find those for around 35 40 dollars.

You can get a great servo for from Tower hobbies (Solar D772) for 12 dollars I think plus shipping...Seems to be a more becoming popular
choice for a powerful/reliable servo on a budget...I may try one myself soon.

As far as a radio you can find something nice within the budget you have with some bells and whistles the stock radio doesn't have.

I use both the stock radio and a spectrum and really didn't need to change anything from what the rtr radio already gives you adjustment wise..my spectrum was 200 and the rtr you can get for 30-35 dollars..170 dollar difference I dont see...I found the better radio more beneficial for racing than in a trail truck in my opinion.

I suppose fun to tinker but the rtr radio works pretty good in my opinion for what it is.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
The RTR ESC is actually a really nice ESC...other than needing a 12 dollar BEC to run a 3s lipo and power a bunch of lights and a winch its just as good as any brushed ESC with a 3s battery limit...You can find those for around 35 40 dollars.

You can get a great servo for from Tower hobbies (Solar D772) for 12 dollars I think plus shipping...Seems to be a more becoming popular
choice for a powerful/reliable servo on a budget...I may try one myself soon.

As far as a radio you can find something nice within the budget you have with some bells and whistles the stock radio doesn't have.

I use both the stock radio and a spectrum and really didn't need to change anything from what the rtr radio already gives you adjustment wise..my spectrum was 200 and the rtr you can get for 30-35 dollars..170 dollar difference I dont see...I found the better radio more beneficial for racing than in a trail truck in my opinion.

I suppose fun to tinker but the rtr radio works pretty good in my opinion for what it is.
Take this advice , The stock electronics aren't bad , Just upgrade when and if they fell.
old man 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #4

Thanks guys. I'll being ordering up the dingo kit tonight and start hunting around for the electronics. Any recomendations on small parts I should get while I'm assembling it? Basically reliability mods or cheap performance upgrades I should add before I get it together and break whatever weak link the stock rigs usually have?
Ssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Beadlock wheels are a big convenience if you can get those..the Axial 8 hole are pretty decent for plastic wheels.

You will only get the upgrade lower suspension links with the kit...If you want full metal links top and bottom you need to buy uppers. Make sure they are for your short wheel base though.

I think the rear is 4 link but the front I don't think is..i recommend to convert to 4 link up and rear if its not already.

You need the 4 link truss for the front and some hardware you can get cheap at the local hardware store..Its a 10 dollar part you need I think or you may can find one used for less.

Other than that you just needs some electronics and some painting materials for the un painted body.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Have you even considered an RTR?...the honcho can be had for 350 or so...12 dollars for a BEC and 15 or so for a Tower Hobbies solar D772 servo and your good to go and reliable on a 2s lipo for quite some time unless you drive like Rambo.

Or Axial just come out with the new SCX based Dead bolt for $300 as an RTR.

A 16T motor pinion is highly recommended with the stock 27T motor
And wise to replace the cheap Tamiya plug on the esc and use a deans or traxxas connector.

You charge your battery and go.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #7

I have seen some really good deals on craigslist from people that buy them, upgrade the heck out of them, and later they don't care about it. But the problem is that it can take months to finally see one of these surface and you have to keep checking several times a day, everyday. If you're the patient type you can save a lot of cash.
DynoXG is offline   Reply With Quote

In need of newb electronics help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help a newb pick out some electronics Jethrobodean Newbie General 5 02-28-2013 10:34 AM
lowering the body and the electronics getting the electronics in a waterproof box m1009cucv Axial SCX-10 15 10-01-2011 07:45 PM
Scaler newb seeks electronics advice scraps Newbie General 2 01-27-2011 09:13 AM
not a newb but have a question of newb stature Brandon88 Electronics 11 04-14-2010 08:53 PM
Newb question to beat all newb questions vinster888 Newbie General 3 12-29-2009 07:24 PM