Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: First post, total Newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2015, 11:38 PM   #1

Default First post, total Newbie

Been into RC since I was a kid. Unfortunately I'm far from a kid according to the biological clock. However I'm still a kid at heart and still enjoy RC. I've raced paved oval, carpet, and dirt oval. Flown quads, helis, and winged. However this crawling thing is something I can't seem to get out of my head. LOL! Seriously it really appeals to me and I like the scale and realism aspect of it. I'd like to get my 9 year old stepdaughter involved as well, as she seems interested. I've been lurking around the forum for quite some time now and we've watched countless videos, looked at build pics, rig pics, tire pics, suspension, different platforms.......well you get the idea. Due to my limited time to devote to a build I'm considering an RTR despite my norm of wanting to complete each task involved in the build. I would like to get together with other people, but can't devote enough time, money, and effort to comp crawl. I am the kind of person if I do something I do it right. I think scale is for me and I find it most interesting as a newbie. I'm leaning toward the SCX10 platform and really like what I see from Axial. Guess I'm asking ya'll what you think about that route? I want to upgrade as I get battery burn time, as I've been there and done that with racing and it worked best. I'd like to start my 9 year old off with something entry level of course but not junk. We all know how quickly you can get burned out on junk. Glad there is a newbie forum here. Thanks for the advice.
jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2015, 07:33 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: First post, total Newbie

First off welcome to the madness.
Secondly, axial brand has a strong following and aftermarket part support. The scx10 deadbolt (green body version) is the cheapest rtr of the axial line up. There is a post on here from Harley great reading and videos of upgrading. Also since you've been involved in rc I take it you have the battery charger for lipo.
Harley's $50 SCX10 Deadbolt Budget Build

Cheers,
Wade

Last edited by Wade; 02-20-2015 at 07:36 AM.
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:41 AM   #3

Well, I've had an SCX10 for a couple of years now, and I've had no problems out of it! However, I don't bash mine as much as some people. IMO , SCX10s are amazing rigs, both for newbies AND for people who have been crawling forever. Also , SCX10s and Axial in general has good customer service and a great aftermarket following! Welcome to RCC!
Just_Another_Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:03 PM   #4

I am a newb as well to the crawling end of things. I just picked up a axial yeti and I absolutly love it because I can do some crawling and some bashing with it too. It seems like a good all around kinda rig but like I said I am a newb so it's just my opinion.

I have been into micro heli's and fast electric boats for a while too and I love the boats. They can be super fun too!
AMG4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:30 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Welcome aboard to the forum, I too dropped out for years from RC and was blown away at crawlers of today, they are great and after shopping around I wish I would have bought an Axial Wraith or AX series from the get go for myself, but a youngster can be crazy with the throttle and break stuff, I would get her a slower model like a stock AX10 or Deadbolt and for yourself I would get something that can crawl and rip it up if you want like a Wraith. Have fun whatever you choose and any answers you need can be found on this site.
RockBiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:28 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I've got an SCX10 Deadbolt. I've driven a Wraith some, but I found it was so capable that it almost made things too easy. The SCX10 is more of a challenge to drive.

Crawling with my rig is like playing a video game, but with fresh air and a better view than looking at my living room.
rcntncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:38 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. Solid information. Unfortunately I don't have a LiPo charger. But that's no problem. Leaning toward the Wraith even though I really like the SCX 10 platform. Decisions decisions. Maybe I can find a used one somewhere. Looking around. Thanks again!
Old 02-24-2015, 12:16 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I would like to comment on some of the things you described in your first post and make a suggestion according to that first post ..
here is my suggestion ....you said you have a 9 year old so maybe you could start with the scx10 and together get in to the scale thing ,,,,
hand me down the scx10 to the 9 year old ,,,,then second determine if you
want to move on to another scx10 or if you want to try a wraith ..keep in mind if you like the scale thing a wraith while being scale for what it is,,is limited as to what scale stuff you can do,, as far as the body it will most likely always be the scale cage frame rock racer ,and does not lend itself easily as an scx10 to the scale trail vehicle,,,, if you want to start getting in to the scale thing....after taking care of the 9 year old with an scx10 ...
start with an scx10 for yourself and later down the road add wraith axels to the scx or just purchase a wraith out wright but they are 2 different creatures and if you want scale and lots of it the scx is what I think you are
saying you want ,,,to start

Last edited by MONKEYPIARATE; 02-25-2015 at 08:09 AM.
MONKEYPIARATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:14 AM   #9

Great info and yes I like the scale thing more than the comp thing. Mainly I want to just have some fun with the kiddo but I'd like to be able to get together with other folks as well. I'm unsure of the classes exactly and although I don't plan on comp crawling I want to be able to participate in fun events even if they are scored. So I want to have something to fit into the correct class. Thanks again for the info, very helpful! And yes I can see the cage frame of the wraith being what it is vs the changeable bodies etc of the scx.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:44 AM   #10

Also thanks for the 50 budget build from Harley vids. I am really learning a lot from that! Thank goodness I have a basic working knowledge of weight distribution and suspension / steering geometry. I caught right on to his build. Now I'm really hooked.

First post, total Newbie - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First post from a total newbie: 1/10 RTR Crawlers for my 8-year-old and me? NerdDoc Newbie General 28 12-29-2014 10:57 AM
Total Newbie Here... ZakyJ Superclass Crawlers 0 04-14-2013 12:43 AM
total newbie needs help..... ranger-boy Newbie General 6 11-18-2009 07:30 PM
total newbie new_crawler Newbie General 2 06-22-2009 10:13 PM
total newbie Curt Newbie General 11 03-01-2006 04:53 PM