Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Axial AE-5 problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #1

Default Axial AE-5 problems

Hello All,

I am new to crawlers and finished building a Wraith kit. I was doing some test runs with the electronics before I start buttoning things up but I ran into a problem.

When I hit the throttle on the Wraith after 15-20 seconds the brakes kick on. I know the AE-5 has a drag brake but I am still on the throttle when this happens. It hits so hard that it endo's if I am on pavement. This happens at high and low speeds and will even happen if I pick it up off the ground. It's like the throttle cuts out and the brakes kick in after a few seconds.

I did some testing of the ground I applied some light throttle and flipped the wheels back and forth. When the throttle cut out I did not lose steering. It doesn't look like the AE-5 has much in the way of programming options. Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am running the AE-5 with an HPI Firebolt 15t, 20t pinion and a 10a castle BEC.
Burniefloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2015, 11:12 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Axial AE-5 problems

What kind of batteries are you running? Sounds like it could be the lipo cut off kicking in.
hatefulboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:31 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

If you dig on the forum a bit there are a few pages that talk about that exact problem. If I find the link I'll post it. I had the same problem I'm trying to remember what fixed it. If my memory serves me I had a metal shaving in the space where the lipo nihm 50 100 pins are, my servo failed the same time.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:48 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I'm prepared to be corrected but, a 15t brushed with a 20 pinion is so over geared I'll be surprised if the motor last more than 1 battery pack.
I wouldn't be surprised to find your overloading the esc & its resetting/momentarily shutting off.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:11 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

That could be it. I think the ae5 has a 20t limit also.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:57 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

12T on 2S, 18T on 3S.http://docs.axialracing.com/instruct...Drag_Brake.pdf
FloridaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:56 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Default Axial AE-5 problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by altd896 View Post
I'm prepared to be corrected but, a 15t brushed with a 20 pinion is so over geared I'll be surprised if the motor last more than 1 battery pack.
I wouldn't be surprised to find your overloading the esc & its resetting/momentarily shutting off.

I agree. 4:1 is tall for a Wraith, esp. with a 15t. Try disconnecting the motor from the tranny and see if it runs longer than 15-20 seconds. If it does, then try reinstalling but geared down to 5:1 and see if that works. If it doesn't work when the motor is disconnected, I'd guess faulty ESC or radio/receiver as next most likely culprit.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:54 AM   #8

Thanks for all the replies.

I am running a Zippy 2s battery.

When I disengaged the motor I was getting the same instant stoppage. The motor was completely cool so it wasn't overheating yet.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:04 AM   #9

I pulled the motor and electronics. I pulled out the pins for the lips and drag brake setting, I didn't see anything in there. I reinstalled the electronics and recalibrated the esc per the instructions and now it is running correctly. I will drop a few teeth on the pinion just to be safe.

I have another question, this one about the Holmes hobbies motors. I read through several of Harley's threads and he suggested the crawlmaster or tourquemaster if you want to run in water or mud, which I do.

While I was browsing the site I saw the trail master motors, since I plan on trailing I was looking at it and noticed it said not to use it in water or mud and to get a cheap throwaway motor for water and mud. While I was talking to someone on another site they suggested the disposable motor route also. Am I really better off avoiding Holmes hobbies motors if I want to run in water or mud? I live in the northeast so we don't get the cool mud other parts of the country gets, it's most just wet topsoil pretending to be mud...
Old 07-04-2015, 10:46 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Clean fresh creek water doesn't bother a brushed motor much, get which ever your happy with.

Mud & sand chew threw the brushes & comm and will need to be flushed out. The motor will have a very limited life, this is where the cheap disposables come in.

Personally I love me some Holmes crawlmasters but I stay the hell away from mud & water, not my thing, can't be bothered with the mess & junked parts.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

i dont have any experience with them but i have heard that sensord brushless motors are completely sealed and are a good option for mud, sand, and water. maybe someone that has one could chime in and tell us?
crawlerwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:19 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlerwon View Post
i dont have any experience with them but i have heard that sensord brushless motors are completely sealed and are a good option for mud, sand, and water. maybe someone that has one could chime in and tell us?
not all sensored brushless motors are sealed completely....but can be waterproofed to be reliable in water and mud along with waterproofing the ESC
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:26 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I run a sensored brushless Dynamite fuze combo on My blizzard and I use conformal coatings on the motor sensor bord and I haven't had any problems. The blizzard gets lots of snow in it and I drive it on trail runs in mud and water with no issues. I also have gotten my Holmes hobbies motors muddy without any issues thus far. But you should know I clean and oil /grease my rc stuff if they get wet asap.

Axial AE-5 problems - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial esc problems Bermbuster210 Electronics 12 01-01-2013 02:10 PM
Problems problems problems hope it's worth it in the end TJcreeperJEEP Venom Creeper 9 12-22-2009 04:54 PM
Axial Scx10 problems... Veilside159 Axial SCX-10 30 12-09-2009 02:12 PM
Axial beadlock Problems... biggin69 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 07-26-2008 06:57 PM
Axial SHOCK problems quads4_life Axial AX-10 Scorpion 34 09-12-2007 10:40 PM