Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Storing a lipo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Storing a lipo?

Just got my first lipo batts. I got venom 2s 5k 20c batts.
Bought an oynx 245 charger. Charger works great. Simple and easy to use.
But it doesn't have a storage charge setting.
So what would be the best way to store the batts for a few days? Without getting another charger.
47yok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Storing a lipo?

If it's just for a few days I don't typically worry putting a storage charge on it.

If it's going to be longer than a week that's when I try to make sure it's store charged.

Without a storage function on your charger your best bet is probably just to run it down about 20-40% using the good old best guess method. Use a multimeter to check each cell via the balance plug if you're concerned about accuracy.

Honestly, I've left lipos fully charged for months and not had a problem. It's not ideal or best practice but it's not the end of the world either...
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:41 PM   #3
MODERATOR™

Sorry yo, but I moved this thread as the topic has beaten to death. Use the search.

That said, I've had lipos sitting at full for months and completely dead for months. All still work fine.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:36 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
If it's just for a few days I don't typically worry putting a storage charge on it.

If it's going to be longer than a week that's when I try to make sure it's store charged.

Without a storage function on your charger your best bet is probably just to run it down about 20-40% using the good old best guess method. Use a multimeter to check each cell via the balance plug if you're concerned about accuracy.

Honestly, I've left lipos fully charged for months and not had a problem. It's not ideal or best practice but it's not the end of the world either...
X2, buy some lipo storage bags too, I keep each battery in it's own small bag, then two or three of these go inside a large lipo bag, and then those bags inside a steel ammo can stored on concrete floor, just in case. Also don't store them in a hot or freezing cold garage as it's not good for the cells either.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:04 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Lipo's won't last very long if there not taken care of. If your going to use lipos, there are plenty of inexpensive chargers that will put a battery to a storage voltage which is 3.8 volts per cell. The cheaper batteries won't take much abuse. I try not to leave my lipos fully charged for more than a couple of days.

15 things every LiPo battery user should know | Drone Girl
rstekeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:15 PM   #6
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstekeur View Post
Lipo's won't last very long if there not taken care of.
Explain my ten or so lipos that I never cared for that still work fine after years of neglect.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:04 PM   #7

I posted useful information in here as to where to buy a good lipo bag... Too bad a moderator felt it was not useful. So if anyone would like that information please feel fee to pm me. I'll give the phone number part number and price I paid to ensure you are getting the right stuff. Thanks!!
rage232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Balance charger them to 3.8volts per cell. If you don't have a good lipo bag read more about lipoosack.co
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:06 AM   #9

I follow the chart shown below:

http://valleyrcflyers.net/articles/l...age%20tips.pdf

For cheaper lipos that I could use at anytime, I keep them fully charged and in the fridge. If I want to go fly or drive, I simply pull them out and go use them, they have usually warmed up by the time i get to my destination. Sometimes I will set them on the dash so the sun warms them up.

If Im not going to use a lipo for awhile(several months), I will discharge it to storage charge (3.75 to 3.85V per cell) and store it in the fridge but if at storage charge, it doesnt matter as much.

My more expensive heli lipos(>$150) are always stored at storage charge and in the fridge.

That being said, I have a car lipo (venom 5000mah 2s 25c) that has been fully charged for the last 3 months as I use it frequently, it has been stored at room temp (65F) and stilll seems very healthy showing IRs close to when they were new and no puffing.

So the easy answer is charge it and throw it in the fridge

I run a lipo battery alarm on all my cars set to 3.7V/cell. After the alarm goes off its at the low end of storage charge (3.75ish)

Last edited by linklemming; 04-08-2016 at 02:29 AM.
linklemming is offline   Reply With Quote

Storing a lipo? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Storing Lipos EvilPlots Electronics 2 01-26-2011 06:06 PM
Storing my motors LostCrawler Newbie General 0 12-16-2010 10:13 AM
Storing Lipo over winter? coldcrawlr Electronics 6 11-03-2010 01:45 PM
Storing Lipo's between use FlexinTLT Electronics 13 07-02-2008 11:48 AM
Storing batteries? asfasasu3 Newbie General 6 03-19-2008 10:45 AM