Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Needing help between a bomber or a yeti

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2016, 11:53 PM   #1

Question Needing help between a bomber or a yeti

I am stuck between getting a bomber or a yeti. I have a wraith and a traxxas slash. I am going to sell them and get one rc that can do both crawling and speed/bash. I have done research on both the bomber and yeti with no decision. I am also looking into racing in the U4RC and maybe making some metal roll cages for them.

Here are my pro's and con's:

Axial yeti: I like the way that it could be upgraded and to go fast and crawl a little with it with the 2 speed diff and locked diff. I am wondering if it could crawl just as good as a wraith with the low chassis and its with the locked diff. I also like that it has a lot of body types from a ultra4 truck to a score desert truck to a Baja bug.

Axial Bomber: It is similar to a wraith with better upgrades. I like the looks but doesn't have that many body options as the yeti but has the 2 speed trans. I was wondering if making it brushless it would be faster and if the sway bars will make it stable enough to jump/bash and go fast just as the yeti.

I am in this, having no answers on these two trucks. Any opinions would help a lot in this decision

Last edited by Dawson4; 08-04-2016 at 11:56 PM.
Dawson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2016, 10:49 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Needing help between a bomber or a yeti

I have the same question. This thread was helpful: Yeti vs Bomber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thloftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:03 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to the forum. Ultimately, you're trying to accomplish two things (go fast and crawling) that require very different things from a truck. The Yeti and Bomber are both good platforms, but they are quite different. The Yeti comes with an independent front suspension and open front diff, both of which are very well suited to going fast and not well suited at all to crawling. You can help the crawling somewhat by locking the diff, but that will come at the expense of high speed handling. And you'll still be limited by the independent front suspension, wide track, and large skid. The Bomber has a solid front axle and locked front diff that make it good for crawling but limit its high speed capability. It also has a high center of gravity, which limits high speed handling. You can lower it, add sway bars, and tune it to help high speed handling, but it's basic architecture will keep it from handling high speed the way a well set up Yeti can.

Ultimately, if you go with a single truck to do both, you're likely to end up with something that doesn't handle speed as well as your Slash or crawl as well as your Wraith. If you're okay with that compromise, I'd suggest choosing based on whichever of the two things you plan to do more. If it's going fast, take the Yeti. If it's crawling, take the Bomber. If you don't like the sound of the compromise, stick with different rigs for different purposes. Maybe start by replacing your Slash with a Yeti set up for U4. Then you can decide whether it's worth trading your Wraith in for a Bomber.

As far as bodies are concerned, it wouldn't be too hard to toss a Lexan body on a Bomber, so don't let that be your deciding factor.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:39 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. I have been taking more thought from these replies and I have been leaning more to the bomber because I crawl a lot with my wraith. Yeah, the yeti is fast but with some upgrades on the bomber like you guys said, sway bars, lower it with shorter shocks, brushless, etc., it could be able to go somewhat fast for a solid axled rig. I just think that since the bomber is close to the wraith, it would feel close to my wraith with the setup. The yeti would just scrape on big rocks, get hung up by how low it is. I think the bomber is more suited to my likings. Plus, it has a bolt on cage, I could make some steel roll cages that can help with lowered center gravity. Thanks again for that information though.
Dawson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:03 AM   #5

I had the same question about a month ago. I ended up going with the bomber and I'm glad I did. I love the way this car articulates and handles the rocks.
Cali_Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:26 AM   #6

Got the bomber. Wanted a "2.2 Go Fast". Put in the SW3 4600kv combo. It is the RTR. Ran it stock (save the esc/motor) on 3s 3000 30c. A bat out of hell. Had to be 30-35 mph top speed. It handled well for a solid axle, locked diffs, no rear sway bar truck (no sharp turns; was just impressed it could handle full-throttle in a straight line on rougher terrain). Dropped in the old-school, 68t, steel spur w/9t pinion; still very fast. If you kept it moving slowly it even "crawled" a little for a sensorless system. But it felt like a waste of a great rock racer/crawler. And it felt like a waste of a nice, high-speed combo. The Bomber is back on stock esc/35t motor and 3s (68/14). My Wraith and Bomber are brushed and staying that way. The Wraith runs a Tekin 35t HD on 3s. It will soon have a Holmes H. Crawlmaster Pro 13t 540. The Bomber soon: H.H. Torquemaster Pro 21t 550. That ought to be a nice spread of crawling and speed between what these two platforms are best at. It is "painful" to have this sweet SW3 4600 sitting in my tool box. I still want a 2.2 that goes really fast. Then I remembered the Yeti. I think the Yeti Kit will be my next project. If you want to crawl, rock race and go real fast with a rock racer... You are going to need two rigs, minimum. I'm looking at all three to cover those bases (and I've got two boys who don't mind letting me stand around with my hands in my pockets while they drive my toys). My Wraith crawls better than my Bomber. It is impossible for me to refrain from throttling my Bomber, jumping and racing. The Yeti ought to be able to romp around the terrain at those top speeds only an IFS can tolerate.

Last edited by Rybroca; 10-17-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Rybroca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:40 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The Yeti is a bit of a money pit. Many parts will need upgrading or replacing because soft plastics and high speeds lead to unwanted flex and/or breakage.

It and the SCORE truck that is based on it are, however, the only Axial vehicles I'd consider running a sensorless high-kv brushless in.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:20 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Jup the Yeti is a Money Pit,
But it brings a smile on my face every time i run it.
It is not capable to go fast as a e-revo, but fast enough to be out of sight in a second....
I run mine with mmx cc3800kv with 64/19 on 3s, it's the max i could handle on my prefered ground.
For crawling trailing i have the 1 gear of my 2 speed option. Keep in mind that your Yeti will be going above 8 lbs After awhile Mine is now nearly 10 lbs .

sent by magic_yeti
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:36 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Third on the money pit. But a very fun money pit. I've upgraded almost all parts, excepting the rear axle, which is heavily modified. The more you expect it will give, at a parts price. Example, went to a front Axial locker and it eats dog bones , So upgrade with 80.00 axles. Yeti is not a basher, it works well in a rough rocky environment where high speed cornering is not on the top of the list. Fitted with a Tekin HD3100 it will throw rooster tails and do whoops well, all at a price

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I have a Bomber and had a Yeti. There was something about the Yeti that was always lacking which made driving it not very fun (I know, very descriptive). The Yeti always felt lazy and slow (with a Pro4HD 2500kv on 4s), jumping was a struggle, and it high centered on damn near everything.

I know my Bomber is slower (same Pro4HD 2500kv as the Yeti but on 3s) but feels more lively, the handling feels more responsive, and jumping is easier. All the strengths that the Yeti is supposed to have, I feel like my Bomber does those things better. It goes without saying that the Bomber is the far superior crawler as well which makes it my pick as the better all-around truck.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:57 AM   #11

svt923, your input and the money-pit statements make me think I'd be better off buying a second bomber for speed. Or maybe it would be more fun with a Pro SC 4 X 4. Twin Hammers? Either way: starting to have doubts about the Yeti...
Rybroca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:16 AM   #12

Yeti's are low and are only good for off road situations. I wouldn't call them a crawler at all. I think the Bomber is the best dual purpose truck. Plus, the kit is the most well equipped Axial kit available.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:34 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

My RR10 started as a RTR... bought it the week or so it was released.
Capable of bashing just need to upgrade most of everything. Deff learning curve for me.
Widening the stance along with opening the front diff it is pretty stable at speed.
As of now im 3150kv brushless along with 2speed- I'm happy for what and where I use it..
(better vids to come)

https://youtu.be/OER0vUS53xw

Last edited by NitritedCarbide; 10-25-2016 at 07:38 AM.
NitritedCarbide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial, bomber, yeti

Needing help between a bomber or a yeti - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti vs Bomber cullen colapietro Axial Yeti 26 10-06-2017 06:21 PM
bomber vs yeti ndrsroark Newbie General 6 04-09-2016 12:27 AM
Do i want a Yeti or Bomber winsler Newbie General 14 02-28-2016 01:19 PM