Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie Battery Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2018, 05:00 PM   #1

Default Newbie Battery Question

Hi guys i am new to the crawling side of the hobby, i coming from the on road racing side and was looking for your guys recommendations. I have ordered a scx10 ii kit and along with a hobbywing quicrun 1080 esc and a 35t brushed motor. I was wondering what most of you would run for a lipo either 2 or 3 cell. Cheers
Luke
luke8603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2018, 05:59 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Newbie Battery Question

Once you go 3S you never go back XD

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:12 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I'll agree with the above statement wholeheartedly...

The "trial" 2S I bought for my Ascender is just sitting there, waiting for me to pick up a cheap onroad kit or something...

You can always gear down a tad if it's too fast, but you risk issues with your entire electronics system if you gear up because it's too slow on 2S.

As they say - Volt up, gear down!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:10 PM   #4

Thanks for the replys guys, 3s it is
Old 04-02-2018, 01:44 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I always run a 3s with 35t motors, been doing it for years now. I use the smaller 3s packs to keep the weight down. I was running Venom #1577 packs, but have been running these #25077 packs since thats what my LHS has been carrying. These are 30c which is plenty and have a couple different connectors in the package. (XT60 , EC3 & Deans)

HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:30 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

That is the same battery I use as well. I get about an hour to hour and a half of trail running per pack in my stockish Honcho. Stock electronics...

Btw xt 60 connectors the hw 1080 come with are great.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:48 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
That is the same battery I use as well. I get about an hour to hour and a half of trail running per pack in my stockish Honcho. Stock electronics...

Btw xt 60 connectors the hw 1080 come with are great.
I agree, I am running a WP 1080 in my OG SCX10 , I'm starting to like the XT60's a lot.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:55 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMM View Post
I agree, I am running a WP 1080 in my OG SCX10 , I'm starting to like the XT60's a lot.
I just set up my Ascender with XT60s. They are less obnoxious to solder than Deans T plugs.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:03 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I am running a dynamite 2s 5000 HVlipo shorty in my ascender. I have zero complaints. I can literally run 3-4 hours on it. I don't feel that a single speed crawler needs anything more. A 2-speed might like more. Crawling on the course is more of a strategy and picking the best line for the capabilities of your truck. I leave the brushless crazy 6-8s stuff alone. I was originally gonna buy two batteries with my rig, but the LHS put me in a better charger instead. If you have other rigs and would have to buy new packs I can see where that would kinda suck. Also bear in mind that a stock Ascender is intended to carry a shorty so I was kinda limited as to what I bought.
Capt J-rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:44 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt J-rod View Post
I am running a dynamite 2s 5000 HVlipo shorty in my ascender. I have zero complaints. I can literally run 3-4 hours on it. I don't feel that a single speed crawler needs anything more. A 2-speed might like more. Crawling on the course is more of a strategy and picking the best line for the capabilities of your truck. I leave the brushless crazy 6-8s stuff alone. I was originally gonna buy two batteries with my rig, but the LHS put me in a better charger instead. If you have other rigs and would have to buy new packs I can see where that would kinda suck. Also bear in mind that a stock Ascender is intended to carry a shorty so I was kinda limited as to what I bought.
In my Ascender I was running a Holmes Hobbies ESC and 35t along with the Venom #1577 3s pack. With the 35t it needed the extra wheels speed so 3s was perfect and the small packs fit right in the stock Ascender holder.

Volt up Gear Down
Old 04-04-2018, 09:19 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt J-rod View Post
I have a Gens Ace 4600 2s and a Bantam e-Station charger that seems to get the job done quickly. The battery arrived at 3.8v per cell and I got it to peak in 30-40 minutes @ 4.6 amps (while using my cheap-o Traxxas AC converter for power).

I was going to get a second battery, but I am going to see what kind of mileage I get out of this one.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
Once you go 3S you never go back XD
I still run 2S for the most part after all of these years.

Quote:
I always run a 3s with 35t motors, been doing it for years now. I use the smaller 3s packs to keep the weight down. I was running Venom #1577 packs, but have been running these #25077 packs since thats what my LHS has been carrying. These are 30c which is plenty and have a couple different connectors in the package. (XT60 , EC3 & Deans)

I know it's convenient that your LHS stocks them, but $28 for a 2200mAh 3S battery with such a low C rating is crazy expensive.

I prefer a higher C rating. Always have and always will. But a comparable battery on HobbyKing is $14.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-fl...-3s1p-30c.html

And yes, XT60 connectors are great.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:45 PM   #13
RCC Addict

30c is more than fine for a crawler with a brushed motor. I used to run Turnigy packs all the time, but had a couple puff, then I started using the Venom #1577 packs, they are like $19. Haven't had any trouble with any Venom pack yet. ( I run some of their hard case 2s packs too). Oh....and venom basically will just replace any pack you ever have a problem with, probably hands down the best lipo warranty out there.

Heck....$28 ain't to bad for instant gratification....lol
Besides.....the 1s packs I use for oval racing cost $70

Last edited by HDMM; 04-04-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:34 AM   #14

Quote:
30c is more than fine for a crawler with a brushed motor. I used to run Turnigy packs all the time, but had a couple puff, then I started using the Venom #1577 packs, they are like $19. Haven't had any trouble with any Venom pack yet. ( I run some of their hard case 2s packs too). Oh....and venom basically will just replace any pack you ever have a problem with, probably hands down the best lipo warranty out there.

Heck....$28 ain't to bad for instant gratification....lol
Besides.....the 1s packs I use for oval racing cost $70
I don't have crawler only batteries. I buy good LiPos so I can use them in everything from crawlers to racers to go-fast bashers.

As far as puffing, that happens with all brands depending on age and care of the battery. I've never had a Turnigy battery, or any other battery for that matter, puff prematurely.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:48 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I don't have crawler only batteries. I buy good LiPos so I can use them in everything from crawlers to racers to go-fast bashers.

As far as puffing, that happens with all brands depending on age and care of the battery. I've never had a Turnigy battery, or any other battery for that matter, puff prematurely.
I used to as well, I just dont have many bashers anymore (just a couple 2wd Slash's), just been racing oval which all the classes use a 1s. As far as the Turnigy packs, I had one show up in the mail pre-puffed and the other one puffed after a couple months. Who knows why, but it happened. Hobby King replaced the one that showed up puffed, but not the other one. I've had SMC, Trinity and Revtech packs puff, but its after the wear and tear of off road or oval racing and many, many cycles.

Another thing I've noticed, because they will check pack voltages a lot racing, is that my Hitec charger tends to over charge the packs a bit, I've tried to set the terminal voltage cutoff, but to no avail on the Hitec. I finally broke down and bought a iCharger 406 Duo because we charge at 20 - 30 amps for oval. That thing is so precise, set TVC and it's good. I'm sure over charging the cells time after time can't be a good thing.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:58 AM   #16

Quote:
I used to as well, I just dont have many bashers anymore (just a couple 2wd Slash's), just been racing oval which all the classes use a 1s. As far as the Turnigy packs, I had one show up in the mail pre-puffed and the other one puffed after a couple months. Who knows why, but it happened. Hobby King replaced the one that showed up puffed, but not the other one. I've had SMC, Trinity and Revtech packs puff, but its after the wear and tear of off road or oval racing and many, many cycles.

Another thing I've noticed, because they will check pack voltages a lot racing, is that my Hitec charger tends to over charge the packs a bit, I've tried to set the terminal voltage cutoff, but to no avail on the Hitec. I finally broke down and bought a iCharger 406 Duo because we charge at 20 - 30 amps for oval. That thing is so precise, set TVC and it's good. I'm sure over charging the cells time after time can't be a good thing.
Overcharing and overdischaring will puff a battery more than anything. So if your charger was overcharging I'd say that was the reason for most of your puffing.

Hitec didn't even respond to you?
Old 04-05-2018, 07:00 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Nope and thats the second Hitec charger I've had do that.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:50 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Nope and thats the second Hitec charger I've had do that.
So... I'm guessing it isn't a bad idea to take a multi-meter to a pack after charging.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:02 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Doesn't hurt I guess, atleast you will know what kind of voltage your packs are coming off at.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:44 AM   #20

Ive ended up ordering two 2200mah 3s 30c turnigy batteries as they were cheap at $17 and have the right dimensions to fit well. Thanks for all the advice, i have a hobbywing 1080 esc and a 35t brushed motor to go into the kit will the kit gearing be close for this combo. cheers
Luke

Newbie Battery Question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
newbie battery question exokiler Axial Yeti XL 4 01-15-2015 06:09 PM
newbie battery question aprobert1981 Newbie General 7 03-16-2010 12:30 AM
Newbie Battery Question Again xanti Electronics 6 04-03-2009 09:08 AM
newbie battery question evaderman Newbie General 4 06-19-2008 11:31 AM
Newbie Battery charger question Sean Electronics 0 10-18-2005 09:21 AM