Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: TRX4 Hobbywing 1080 noob question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2019, 05:00 AM   #1

Default TRX4 Hobbywing 1080 noob question

Forgive the noob questions, and thanks in advance for reading beyond that statement..

OK RC wiring is confusing my not too powerful brain.

My stock TRX 4 ESC has failed and has been sent off to be investigated and who knows I may one day get a fixed/new one back.

I don't want to wait around, so I have ordered a Hobbywing 1080 and also a power HD LW-20 , just in case the front steering servo has blown/possible upgrade with metal arm.

1. The stock receiver is in the truck so I think this can handle up to 6V, so the 1080 cannot be set to its higher 7.7v capacity right?

2. Can the 1080 power this HD servo plus the shift and diff mini servos on 6v happily or do I need a bec?

3. If I do need a bec, praise be, does anyone have a wiring diagram as to how it would be connected, and should I want to add the Traxxas light kit and a winch how is that added?

Someone needs to release the ultimate guide to RC wiring, or does this exist..
Edgar W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2019, 12:48 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: TRX4 Hobbywing 1080 noob question

HOWDY, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

1. Yes, you want to set the voltage to 6VDC. If memory serves, setting this exact ESC to 7.4VDC is how a fried a Traxxas RX. As I explained to my wife, the receiver could not handle the power I needed, so I just had to upgrade to my DX6R...

2. The 1080's BEC puts out 3A, which should be enough, but that really depends on how powerful the steering servo is. If you are running anything above 300oz, I would run a BEC.

3. If you are going to add lights and a winch, get a BEC. The Traxxas BEC kit will not really do you any good because it is only rated to 3A, same as the 1080. A Castle 10A BEC will give you all of the power you need, and has a wiring diagram included, which is real easy, but you need a marginal amount of soldering skills. Basically, you connect the power leads of the BEC on to the ESC side of the battery connector, the other side goes to the receiver, and you pull the red wire going from the ESC to the receiver, easy peasy…

A little more help...
• I use Deans plugs, I make a T-connector for the BEC that will plug in between the battery and the ESC.
• As meantioned, the red wire going from the ESC to the RX needs to be disconnected. There are a couple of ways you can do this, I carefully pull the wire out of the plug that goes into the receiver, put a piece of heat shrink on it (the ESC's BEC is still sending voltage down it), then tape it back on to the ESC cable. This allows me to easy restore this wire if I change out electronics (i.e.: have upgraded this RC to a brushless system), and what to use this ESC in another project that does not require an external BEC.
• Castle BECs are easy to waterproof. I carefully cut open with blue heatshrink with an Exact-O knife, remove the BEC, dip it into conformal coating three times (dip/dry, dip/dry, dip/dry), put the heat shrink back on, then put a piece of tape on the heat shrink and mount the BEC anywhere you need to. Some people use Corrosion-X, but it wears off and has to be reapplied.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:13 AM   #3

Well, thank you kindly for the detailed message in reply, very kind of you to take the time.

I will add the 1080 and the new servo is 277.80 oz (I'm in Europe so 20KG) and it should be fine without a BEC until the end of the warranty in November, and then think about changing the wiring on the truck as you described.

Soldering skills have been obtained (the burnt finger and a few ruined connecters way) so I should be grand when I get to that point.

I'll save up the coin for the winch and lights and then put together a wiring diagram based on your advice, submit it here and get you experts to check it before I zap something.

Thanks again
Old 06-15-2019, 01:31 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Heyok has a great easy to hook up bec. I use one on my trx4 sport and love it. No soldering, which is a plus for a noob like myself. It’s also adjustable, so if you ever get a servo that handles higher voltage you can get the max out of it with the heyok bec. If this sounds like a plug it is, but it isn’t. Anytime I’ve had question Al is quick with a response and very helpful.
garage-boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
RCC Addict

The stock esc is rated 1A, your new 1080 is rated 3A.
Even the stock ESC has no issues powering a PowerHD 20kg servo. So you are fine with that.
All the RTR TRX-4 electronics could handle max 6V so you have to set the 1080 Voltage to 6V.

So no BEC needed, if you only change the ESC and steering servo.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:23 AM   #6

Thank you all kindly for the replies, I received all the parts today and will install over the weekend as suggested including metal servo horn
Old 06-20-2019, 04:47 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Don't forget to set the endpoints.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 XL mit Tapatalk
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
Don't forget to set the endpoints.