Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Benefits of Gearing Down

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2021, 11:28 AM   #1

Default Benefits of Gearing Down

I have a TRX4 Sport Kit. It has an 36.25 FDR out the box (39/17). My rig is currently at 9lbs. I have a HW 1080 ESc and a HH Crawlmaster Sport 12T motor. I run it on 3S with 4300mah LiPo. I get insane runtimes right now. My typical run is maybe 10 minutes of "trailing" to get to the rocks and then i can usually get an additional 60 minutes out of the pack (slow crawling- not dirt rooster tailing wheel spinning up the rocks). When the terrain requires more wheel speed than finesse my motor heats up after a bit (140-160 degrees) after a series of non-stop mixed crawling. I am never above walking speed except for the occasional "speed run" when trailing.

Sorry - now the question...

What's the difference between using my finger for throttle control with my current setup versus gearing down for SLOW CRAWLING (I have a 45T spur and a few pinions to get me in the 47 to 79 FDR range) besides slower top end = lower wheel speed ( i dont mind losing a bit off the top end on the trail but sometimes i think a bit of UMPF helps me get up obstacles). If electric motors have 100% available torque all the time, is gearing down just a finer motor control than i can do with my finger?
swerv512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2021, 06:58 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Benefits of Gearing Down

36 FDR seems high, especially for the weight.. Gearing it down will increase low speed control (like you suspected), increase drag brake, decrease motor temps, and increase run time( during crawling). I can get the same run time as you with a 1600mah battery on a 2.2 rig with about a 70 FDR. (But that's with a brushless motor, so more efficient than brushed).
So I'd recommend gearing down. And if you can, try out a 4s battery to gain back the lost wheel speed. (You would need a different esc though, as I'm sure you are aware).

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:14 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The only con to gearing down is the extra noise coming from the drivetrain.

My truck with 76:1 / 110:1 (front/rear) final drive ratio is loud as ****. Crawls nice and slow with a 1600kv motor on 6s, though.

https://youtu.be/YoXsIsADpLY
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
36 FDR seems high, especially for the weight.. Gearing it down will increase low speed control (like you suspected), increase drag brake, decrease motor temps, and increase run time( during crawling). I can get the same run time as you with a 1600mah battery on a 2.2 rig with about a 70 FDR. (But that's with a brushless motor, so more efficient than brushed).
So I'd recommend gearing down. And if you can, try out a 4s battery to gain back the lost wheel speed. (You would need a different esc though, as I'm sure you are aware).

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post

My truck with 76:1 / 110:1 (front/rear) final drive ratio is loud as ****. Crawls nice and slow with a 1600kv motor on 6s, though.

+1 to you both. I threw in the 45t spur with the 13t pinion before I went out crawling tonight and I really enjoyed the experience better- minus the extra noise (I need to re-shim my clicking Transmission. For some reason the clicking noise returned with this lower FDR 57 vs 36. I know the TRX4 is built like a tank but mine sounds like one!

Anyways low speed control was much improved. I could lay into the trigger a little more and crawl in the meaty throttle zone a bit more if that makes sense. And true again- my motor ran much cooler after an hour and 40 minute session. My 4300mah pack was at 3.8v per cell when I finished.

I still have an 11t pinion and a 9t pinion. Going to try to re-shim the shafts and slap jn the 11t pinion next.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:45 AM   #5

Quote:

One side note, how do you calculate the FDR with over/under drive? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2021, 09:26 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerv512 View Post
One side note, how do you calculate the FDR with over/under drive? Thanks

https://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the link.
I installed the 11t pinion last night and went out for a shakedown run. Modulation is even better with the 11t pinion but this is as high a gear ratio I'll go- no 9t pinion for me. Any slower top end and I won't be able to correct front flips when descending steep stuff. The motor after 1.5 hrs last night of mixed crawling the usual lines was at 98 degrees. It was a little cold out last night but that's a huge drop from the 160 degree I was at just a few nights ago with the stock 17/32.

Benefits of Gearing Down - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Benefits of DIG rohrej General Crawlers 9 08-22-2018 01:23 PM
Benefits of MOA TFitzPat87 Newbie General 8 12-07-2016 12:53 PM
benefits of CMS badd_maxx25 Axial SCX-10 23 04-08-2014 08:38 PM
What are the benefits of BTA? sim Newbie General 10 08-15-2009 07:07 PM
Benefits of an RX pack 1RCbasher2NV Electronics 4 07-16-2007 08:23 PM