Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: benefits of CMS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 10:33 PM   #1

Default benefits of CMS

want to know what they are
badd_maxx25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2014, 11:23 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: benefits of CMS

Just the scale look. It does nothing to improve performance and can add a lot of bump steer if not setup right.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:32 PM   #3
RCC Addict

It raises your Center of gravity and throws off your balance more on the front...but yea it does hide more of the servo for a more scale look but has added costs because now you need a panhard bar set up to stop bump steer you wouldn't otherwise have...It may also help keep the servo out of deeper waters and make it easier to get through some mud but ehhhhhh.. ill pass personally.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 01-29-2014 at 11:35 PM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:39 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Mine is just for the scale look, I don't get bump steer with my 4 link but I've seen some with horrible bump steer
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:44 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

mine is fine as well, it keeps my servo up away from the water and other debris and I have no bump steer...plus I just like how it makes the diff housing look more clean and scale...but it really boils down to personal preference..
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:30 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I also think its just for looks. I dont really have any bumpsteer with mine either with 4 link and no panhard.
Hulldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:42 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

CMS really is just for looks.
Intashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Agreed, it's looks and pts in a scale comp scenario. But man does a front axle look clean without a servo on it
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #9
RCC Addict

With a bit of work you can make your own Panhard/cms setup for very cheap, if not free. I did it two years ago and have run it ever since. Raising your CG? Nope....you won't notice it at all. My "comp" scaler has it....works fine
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:05 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

^Free with the stock servo plate
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

On my SCX10's, I took mine off and put the servo's back on the axles and four-linked the fronts and I'm much happier, the hard pan bar to me, seemed to limit the travel of the suspension, and gave me bad steering angles and binding, removing all that crap, now the front rocks and rolls and no bad steering angles and full suspension travel. yeah much happier without it.
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I have found that with the servo on axle it will bind on the frame. The Dingo, G6, Honcho And the Jk all do this. I run the C.M.S. to stop this. I did a wright up on how to do a C.M.S. a while back. I will add the link. I will also let the photos speek for themselves.

Axial C.M.S. using stock parts how to.

greengoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:20 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Funny my 3 link cms kit has full lock full flex except full down travel witch is no biggie it's all how you set it up

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk
jdmguy760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

On both of my SCX10's, I got wraith shocks that I changed out the rod ends to get them to 100 mm's and put 50 weight oil and different stock springs on them, and I'm running 1.9'' SX Super Swampers Xl's and my suspension never bottoms out enough to put the servo on the axle up into frame, and if it does it doesn't hit or bind, cause when the Hand brothers CMS was installed, the frame cross brace was shaved down on the drivers side, so there is clearance of both side of the servo and I taped the servo wires flat so they also clear if it bottoms out.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:50 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

haven't done the cms as of yet...
It would be more effort, time and money spent.
and it would do nothing to improve my rig's performance or capability.
I'm not into scale points competition anyways..

I did however, correct for the servo/frame interference issue
( ^ servo mounted atop the axle )

additional clearance comes as easy as grinding down/rounding off
some material from the upper/outer mounting ears of the servo.

Even with running 100mm CO's
I have zero interference at the servo/frame during full articulation.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:54 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

An scx10 is a SCALER not a comp crawler, so why wouldn't I make changes to make it more realistic?

I did mine because servo hit frame when compressed and articulated with stock length shocks. CMS solved that and gave it scale appearance. Tested it side by side against an on-axle setup (same links and shocks setup) and it definitely made an improvement in the flex because of clearance of servo to frame. It does take some tinkering to setup and isn't for everybody, but on a scaler I think it is necessary for realism. On my current 3 scx10s I run a hand-bros 3-link CMS, a home brew 4-link CMS using stock servo plate, and a stock on-axle setup with 4-link. The CMS versions both outperform the stock setup for my driving style and rig setups.

Either way is good as long as you're using it and enjoying it. Try both or have multiple rigs and drive the piss out of them all!
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:36 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkolator View Post
An scx10 is a SCALER not a comp crawler, so why wouldn't I make changes to make it more realistic?

I did mine because servo hit frame when compressed and articulated with stock length shocks. CMS solved that and gave it scale appearance. Tested it side by side against an on-axle setup (same links and shocks setup) and it definitely made an improvement in the flex because of clearance of servo to frame. It does take some tinkering to setup and isn't for everybody, but on a scaler I think it is necessary for realism. On my current 3 scx10s I run a hand-bros 3-link CMS, a home brew 4-link CMS using stock servo plate, and a stock on-axle setup with 4-link. The CMS versions both outperform the stock setup for my driving style and rig setups.

Either way is good as long as you're using it and enjoying it. Try both or have multiple rigs and drive the piss out of them all!
Good advice. But, I've never seen cms outperform servo on axle. Not once. Now, they may equal a servo on axle setup, but for efficiency, & getting every bit of torque from the servo to the knuckle, on axle's angles are ideal. Now listen up! I have a peev with dudes trippin on the servo binding on the frame when fully compressed. When does that EVER happen on the trail? NEVER! Unless you scale with one foot on the hood, its a non-issue. What does happen is one side or the other will compress while the other drops. All these pix of rigs with the front suspension pushed all the way down is goofy. Only one side (or corner) needs to fit between the rails. Cms looks cool as hell, but till they give me more than a single point at a comp (which i can get from a bundle of wood in the bed), I'll keep my optimal on-axle setup.
jado6006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:49 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

When setup correctly and the suspension for a cms is reasonably setup, there is no performance difference. The lateral axle movement of the cms is stopped by the panhard, and an axle mounted doesn't have it by its simplicity.

To all those who cry about losing servo strength or hurting the cg, you either need a stronger servo anyway (yes and a bec) and/or need a better setup rig as far as cg is concerned.

I'm one of the not many in my group (trail runs and comps) who runs cms, and all of us run the same trails. Sometimes I can run a line others can't and sometimes vice versa... The cms is not the deciding factor.

But during pics and vids it doesn't look like a scale mini fridge is bolted to the front axle
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

here is the look at the mods, I made so if does bottom out the servo goes up in the fame it doesn't bind or rub on anything. cause I had both a Hand Brothers CSM and there Hard Pan Bar setup and a GCM CSM with there Hard Pan Bar setup, and the both gave me bad steering angles and the hard pan limited the flexibility and articulation of the suspension with the front three linked. I four linked the front axle and got the flexibility and articulation back and full suspension travel, by removing both setups and putting the servo's back on the axles I also got rid of the bad steering angles too.

Last edited by kgb424; 08-07-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb424 View Post
here is the look at the mods, I made so if does bottom out the servo goes up in the fame it doesn't bind or rub on anything. cause I had both a Hand Brothers CSM and there Hard Pan Bar setup and a GCM CSM with there Hard Pan Bar setup, and the both gave me bad steering angles and the hard pan limited the flexibility and articulation of the suspension with the front three linked. I four linked the front axle and got the flexibility and articulation back and full suspension travel, by removing both setups and putting the servo's back on the axles I also got rid of the bad steering angles too.

With your axle turned so far up I'm surprised your getting any steering at all, your caster angle is on the Positive side, you'd be far better with a neutral angle or slightly negative angle.

I've ran CMS and axle mounted, I've tried both over the 6 years I've been playing with these toys. If you think axle mounted will out perform your lying to yourself. It takes a lot of setup time and tweaking to get it right, but CMS will give you just as good of steering and articulation as axle mounted.

As said before, are you guys trying to mimic comp crawlers? I like good performance as much as the next guy, but comon, who wants a massive box on their axle?

Also, if you guys havn't already figured it out, Being a good truck isn't about how much flex you have... I would much rather have a limited suspension setup than a setup that will let a tire fall in every hole that comes along.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote

benefits of CMS - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CMS/Panhard benefits? Beej Axial Wraith 76 11-08-2012 05:11 PM
rc4wd cms vs hand brothers cms kit bronc4now Axial SCX-10 4 05-16-2012 07:14 PM
benefits of a lipo booher26 Newbie General 16 06-16-2010 08:53 AM
What are the benefits of BTA? sim Newbie General 10 08-15-2009 07:07 PM
Benefits of an RX pack 1RCbasher2NV Electronics 4 07-16-2007 08:23 PM