Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Locked Up's "Memory Lane" builds...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #41
Donkey Punch Champion!

Default Re: Locked Up's "Memory Lane" builds...

Why?

Your turned junk into expensive junk...besides the rc10. for your efforts though.
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #42
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaller View Post
Why?

Your turned junk into expensive junk...besides the rc10. for your efforts though.
I had all of these as a kid so none of them are junk to me ... but thanks for the insults.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #43
RCC Addict

nice!!! i also have an og rc10 gold pan sitting on my desk waiting to be restored ( i have all old school radio equipment as well ( stick radio ) want to run it but also want shelf queen
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #44
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

I got the Hornet wheels in yesterday and mounted up the tires today.
As you can imagine I had some fun with some scale hardware but ultimately put in the regular Hornet stuff, for now.

This was my first time assembling Hornet wheels/tires and getting them together (rears mostly) was not as easy as it seems, especially if you are uneducated like I was.

The rear tire bead is crazy stiff and I didn't think the center section was going to go in. Eventually I figured out that I should not try to assemble them like crawler stuff and I just jammed the center in sideways then rotated it once it was in. (With crawler stuff I tend to slip on bead over the wheel at a time ... hard to explain).

The next obstacle I ran into was getting the little M2 nuts into the rear inner wheel parts. The fronts were easy but the rears have a deep recess and the nuts kept going in side ways when I tried to just slip them in with my fingers.

I found that by threading them onto a long screw first I cold press them in straight.

I don't know if it is the dish/size of the wheel or the slightly smaller tire size/different shape but it seems off.

Could just be I am used to the crawler stuff so now these look small but .... what do yall think?

I may have to try some larger wheels just for comparison.

Last edited by Locked Up; 12-29-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #45
~THE SCALE SHOP~

these the tires your looking for?
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/sale/...arrow-box.html
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:18 AM   #46
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
Not 100% sure but I PM'd him.
They do look close.

Thanks sir!
Old 01-13-2014, 04:44 PM   #47
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

I guess I may as well do some updating since it has been a while.
Reassembling my XJ had me distracted but it is complete now and I'm MUCH happier.

For the Voyagers, I did some parts swapping and I did get what I will call Voyager 1 tested and working. The internals were mint but I pulled the top deck off what I will now call Voyager 2 and used it because it is less yellowed. It takes C batteries which I did not have on hand ... might look into swapping something else (something rechargeable) into it.

Voyager 2 is DOA. One of the motors was loose because the standoff had broken. I got the motor reattached, put up the antenna and cleaned it up a little bit. I have no radio to test the electronics but I was able to verify that the motors work by disconnecting them from the board and directly to a 9V.

Back in Nikkoland...
I got the yellow buggy somewhat more assembled.
As part of it's updates, I went ahead and decided to put on new front shocks and pulled off this hot mess:

To get real shocks on I had to dremel the nub on the inside of the arms shown here:

Next I cut out the little molded shafts that the stock shocks clip to:

Those molded shafts were replaced by drilling holes into the Arms for 3mm hardware and then threading in some screws. The CC01 shock rod ends use a ball I do not have so it is just resting but this will give you the idea:

As you can see it sits much higher with the CC01 shocks:

I'd prefer for them to NOT sit so high because that will just complicate the steering. I will hunt for a better solution but it's getting there.

Last edited by Locked Up; 01-20-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

I'm envious of the RC10. I've wanted to build one like that for a while. It was my second RC ever.
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #49
Rock Stacker

Looks good, like a lot of fun. I've still got my first truck and have though about retooling it, as it's electronics were killed in a flood. What did the rc10 set you back?
4door5speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #50
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

It's funny that yall ask about the RC10.

After a lot of "re-educating" myself I determined that the one I have (the one you see in the pics) is actually an earlier version than what I had growing up ... and possibly fairly valuable to real RC10 hounds.

I had considered finding the right parts to convert it to a newer type but I don't want to make it less valuable and I actually got a line on one that is exactly what I had growing up. I mean exactly. Same wheels, tires, chassis holes, etc. Being newer it's not as valuable to collectors but for me it is more valuable because it is exactly what I had.

So the one you see will be for sale at some point in the next few weeks. I've not determined a fair price for it but when I post it I'll let yall know.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:15 AM   #51
Rock Stacker

Well I applaud you reliving your childhood. I always wanted a rc10 with the gold chassis which is why I asked. I'll keep an eye out for it for sale. Hopefully I can get 30 posts and into the classifieds by then.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:25 AM   #52
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Idea on the Nikko front shocks: RC10 front shocks.

They are a hair shorter than the CC01 and MUCH softer springs so I will mock those up and see what I can get done.

they might actually make good rear shocks for it as well.
Hmmmmm....
Old 01-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

I love these threads. I've also gone back and re-sourced much of my initial collection. I had the radio shack version of the Nikko Frame buggy, The Golden Arrow! Mine was modded with Wild One wheels as they are a bit closer in size to the stockers, though not quite the same offset. Still looking for one.

Also found my old Sears Lobo truck, Kyosho Raider, and Futaba FX10. Still looking for the Tyco Porsche 9.6v (Looks - it goes faster than I can run - whoa...) and Sears Magnum buggy.

Anyhow, keep the updates coming! Good stuff.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #54
Rock Stacker

Isaw this ad today, and thought about this thread......

$300OBO · Vintage Associated "Gold Pan" RC 10 #6010 REDUCED AGAIN!!!! Victoria City, Victoria
spidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:48 PM   #55
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidr View Post
Mine is an A stamp but my price will be less than that.

I'll just want back what I put into it.

Last edited by Locked Up; 01-14-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #56
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Listed the RC10 this morning.
Check for sale section.

And now a "sexy time" update to make Evo drool ...

BIG thanks to hotrodsonoma for the deal on the tires.

And big thanks to Cory for pointing them out!

I'm gonna have to find a way to put some shine on the fronts then seal it in a glass case!!!

Last edited by Locked Up; 01-23-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:10 PM   #57
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

So I had a chance to get some RC10 shocks on the Nikkostein with mixed results.

The RC10 shocks do provide a hair more travel than the CC01 shocks but I do not like the gold on there and feel it detracts from the look (yes, the cheap plastic look!)

It also still was sitting higher with the RC10 shocks.

I tried removing the spring adjuster but then I lost all up travel, which is no good either.

So I removed everything again then drilled new holes and removed a lot of material form the arms to mount the bottom portion of the shocks a little farther forward.

I think this is more fitting:

Added bonus ... I have more bump and droop than stock.
Ride height:

Bump;

Droop;

Starting to get interesting now huh?

Old 01-23-2014, 09:28 PM   #58
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

I nearly forgot ....

Not much to look at right now but here is the "New" RC10 CE I picked up.
With it in hand I would say it is a few years newer than the one I had originally due to the black shock caps and the stealth trans holes but I can live with that. I already swapped over the black body mounts form the old one and will try to get the "original" tires I have on there this weekend.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:31 PM   #59
Rock Stacker

Looks good, I didn't mind the gold shocks on the yellow body... But that was my opinion. Otherwise keep up the good work.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:32 PM   #60
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Long overdue for some updates!

sgtsteve caved in and bought one of the RC10's from me. It actually worked out really well because he wanted the newer chassis with the stealth holes and all the black parts that I had. I wanted the white stuff and before you know it I think we both got exactly what we wanted!

After the tear down and reassembly of my new RC10, I came across a few items that needed attention. Mainly, the wiring was to be redone and I was missing a small felt ring retainer.

So what is the point of having a 3D printer if you can't use it to make small parts right? It's just PLA but this is a low stress part so ....

Works like a charm!

Then it was on to the wiring. Steve and I have both agreed to running the same ESCs so we went super cheap.

We also agreed to running the same motors ... or at least to using the same motor selections. Option #1 is going to be an Axial 20T. Option 2 is our choice of 15x2 motors. I think Steve also has a 27t to match my "stock associated" so those may see some action as well. I guess it just depends on what we get into.

Locked Up's "Memory Lane" builds... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Locked Up's "Vuckin Double Cab" - A Chop Shop & Difuser build Locked Up 1.9 Scale Rigs 107 11-14-2015 08:37 AM
Locked Up RC Facebook "Like" giveaway ... win whatever you "Like" from our store!!! Locked Up General Crawlers 376 01-14-2013 02:52 PM
Go from Losi "Rock Claws" w/ memory foams to HB "Rovers" (pink) w/ Proline Dual Stage luvmycompax10 Tires and Wheels 4 01-11-2012 04:13 PM
Locked Up's "Scale Ready" Rings ... by ATI Locked Up Axial SCX-10 16 01-01-2010 09:15 PM