Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Stampede Kit. Traxxas starting to release more kits?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2019, 10:08 AM   #21

Default Re: Stampede Kit. Traxxas starting to release more kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Yeah that is a big "womp, womp" on this kit. People that build bashers use brushless.

I wonder what it would cost to upgrade this kit to brushless specs.
I just checked to see what was different. I was under the impression that in addition to the ring/pinion in the diffs, that the pinion & spur and maybe the slipper were different. That appears to NOT be the case. The pinion, spur & all slipper parts are the same between the brushed Stampede & the VXL. The only differences I see in the geartrain are the ring & pinion gear set in the differentials. The VXL uses TRA6879, which is $15/set.

Additionally, the brushed Stampede uses the plastic driveshaft, which will likely need to be replaced with the VXL aluminum shaft, which is $10.

So, it looks like it would be about $40 to bring the kit up to "brushless" spec.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I just checked to see what was different. I was under the impression that in addition to the ring/pinion in the diffs, that the pinion & spur and maybe the slipper were different. That appears to NOT be the case. The pinion, spur & all slipper parts are the same between the brushed Stampede & the VXL. The only differences I see in the geartrain are the ring & pinion gear set in the differentials. The VXL uses TRA6879, which is $15/set.

Additionally, the brushed Stampede uses the plastic driveshaft, which will likely need to be replaced with the VXL aluminum shaft, which is $10.

So, it looks like it would be about $40 to bring the kit up to "brushless" spec.
Thanks for doing that!

$240 for a Stampede kit doesn't sound great. But $200 for a kit and then $40 in upgrades somehow makes it seem better to me. I know...I'm crazy! It's probably what Traxxas marketing was thinking as well.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post

Funny, I was on the Traxxas website today trying to figure out the differences too. It said the VXL diffs are sealed and silicone filled, but is that the main difference or are the gears supposed to be stronger as well?

Also, are the axles/universals the same on both trucks?
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
Funny, I was on the Traxxas website today trying to figure out the differences too. It said the VXL diffs are sealed and silicone filled, but is that the main difference or are the gears supposed to be stronger as well?

Also, are the axles/universals the same on both trucks?
There's a different part number for the ring and pinion gear set in the diffs. I believe that the gear ratio is vastly different. I dont' recall if the material is different too. I do know that Traxxas offers the "R" model gear set for the VXL vehicles also, and that "R" set is a slant cut CNC machined gear set, but at $45 per set, it's significantly more expensive.

To be honest, I didn't check to see if the diff housings were the same part number nor did I check for gaskets. I assumed that the housings were the same, but you'd have to check the exploded diagrams to verify. I'm on my way out the door right now so I don't have time to do that.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
the UDR is another one id like to get as a kit too.
Curious as someone who hasn't done ANY looking, do companies make other bodies for that monster? Or would the kit be desireable as just an "add your own electronics, everything else same" kinda deal?
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:44 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

(EDIT- I just realized the above post was about the UDR - so take this as a "nicer bodies for the Stampede" post, please!)

There's a SWEET JConcepts Raptor body that I think may be discontinued but still available - on SALE for $25!

Illuzion - Stampede 4x4 - Ford Raptor SVT Super Crew body | JConcepts

Or the Pro-line Ambush:

Pro-line Silverado:

Or the (very pricey) Pro-line "Brute Bash" body (NOT Lexan, but molded white indestructible stuff, uses stickers, not paint):

Last edited by durok; 03-06-2019 at 05:52 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:21 PM   #27
RCC Addict

This is giving me flashbacks to when I first got into RC, I wanted to build my 2nd truck and Traxxas had no kits, so I settled for building up an ebay Pede 4x4 roller and having it 3S ready. Given that Traxxas's own upgrade were competitively priced, I wonder why they never got onto something like slider kits sooner.

Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
(EDIT- I just realized the above post was about the UDR - so take this as a "nicer bodies for the Stampede" post, please!)

There's a SWEET JConcepts Raptor body that I think may be discontinued but still available - on SALE for $25!

Illuzion - Stampede 4x4 - Ford Raptor SVT Super Crew body | JConcepts

That body looks too short for the Stampede. It doesn't cover the chassis.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:34 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That body looks too short for the Stampede. It doesn't cover the chassis.
They're pretty much all like that. You've got to drop the body a mile to cover the tub on a Stampede. I replaced my body posts with the metal battery hold down posts to lower mine, and even then, I had to leave a 3/8" strip under the doors on the sides of the body that I'd paint black to help hide the tub.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:40 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Yeah if I recall the stampede body posts are all too tall in stock form and result in that look. You can cut them down and lower the body by about 0.5" or something like that.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:05 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

This was as low as I could get mine without significant mods...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by JSterrett; 03-21-2019 at 09:26 AM.
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Stampede Kit. Traxxas starting to release more kits? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas Stampede electronics / wheels to a SCX10 II builders kit JoshMurrah Newbie General 7 01-11-2019 07:12 AM
Traxxas new release info TwistedXT Chit Chat 21 09-30-2014 05:32 AM
traxxas new release ? TwistedXT Chit Chat 154 01-09-2012 08:04 PM