Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Blizzards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #361
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Blizzards

We got a blizzard from Rolandrockshop, waiting for it to arrive....this also means we will be offering Inside Skins for the lexan blizzard body
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #362
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDawg362 View Post
It looks like you used the stock pinions on the Losi motors, so they were a direct fit? I found out the hard way that the Traxxas Titan motors need a specific 2.3mm bore pinion, which should be here this week. It's really hard waiting for parts with fresh snow on the ground!

Yeah the stock pinion mounts easily because it is a 370 motor too. Titans are 380 so just a wee bit bigger and only can get an 18T pinion which fits awesome anyway. You will love the Titan 380's.

I do love the Insanes even more though, hehehe. They get HOT!! So I am buying dual fans to try and keep it cooler.

Over on the RC Snowcats forums is where I am for Blizzardville!! hehehe
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #363
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Konceptz View Post
We got a blizzard from Rolandrockshop, waiting for it to arrive....this also means we will be offering Inside Skins for the lexan blizzard body
Oh nice to let me know

What about outside skins??
Old 01-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #364
Rock Crawler

Well I had time to work on this thing and replaced all the bushings with bearings, 28 of them buggers. I also took apart the diff and gear box and put in fresh fluid and greased the ring and pinion gears. I was rather pleased to see how stout that part of the machine was. (reminded me of my DRX-VE Rally car diff)

Running a Novak GTB ESC w/ 10.5t BL motor with 40c 2s and it was good, motored around fine good torque and would jump in and out of ruts and climb and jump over small snow banks. Since I was just in the machine and seen how stout it was I threw in a 40c 3s battery and the fun factor increased big time, that's what I was looking for.

I'm glad I finally pulled the trigger on one this year. Just hope the snow sticks around. Couple pic's:

gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #365
RCC Addict

I'm diggin' the color . I'll be finishing up mine soon, also going brushless. Hope it holds up to the power.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #366
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDawg362 View Post
I'm diggin' the color . I'll be finishing up mine soon, also going brushless. Hope it holds up to the power.

I'm thinking it will, the DF-300 appears to be durable.
I don't know this for sure but the only wear parts with a little more juice looks to be possibly the little drive chain and possibly the track "drive sprockets" which I think you can still get these two items.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #367
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippoMan View Post
Oh nice to let me know

What about outside skins??
Possibly...
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #368
Rock Crawler

First ever attempt at posting a video:

Sorry fellas, it didn't work.

It went up on two other sites straight from photo bucket.

I'm pretty much computer illiterate, so if there's more steps to it to get it posted I won't be able to do it, sorry. lol

Last edited by gdb85; 01-01-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: don't know what I'm doing!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #369
I wanna be Dave

I might be getting parts to convert my Blizzard SR into the much better DF-300. I hope it happens soon. My other SR is down for the count!! SR = Seldomly Runs!!

Last edited by ZippoMan; 01-07-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #370
Quarry Creeper

A little video I did of mine , I just got it .
An unboxing and into to the snow .
I forgot to put the plow on
I thought it was pretty goofy to drive .
Didnt seem to behave properly , I heard there is a better esc for it ?
Im looking for any mods it needs .

Trying to drive and plow is tricky cause you hold both sticks forward and then hold right stick over to the right .
Hard to finesse anything I found .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77QWU9w_soo

Also check out my niece , home for the holidays from New York .
An up and coming actress , I got her in the garage to have a little RC fun .
Crawler Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #371
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler Ted View Post
A little video I did of mine , I just got it .
An unboxing and into to the snow .
I forgot to put the plow on
I thought it was pretty goofy to drive .
Didnt seem to behave properly , I heard there is a better esc for it ?
Im looking for any mods it needs .

Trying to drive and plow is tricky cause you hold both sticks forward and then hold right stick over to the right .
Hard to finesse anything I found .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77QWU9w_soo

Also check out my niece , home for the holidays from New York .
An up and coming actress , I got her in the garage to have a little RC fun .

You need a Sabertooth ESC dual motor controller. It seems to be the best bang for the buck when wanting much better control!

Check out this forum for tons of info: RC Snowcats

Oh and your niece is pretty sweet!! I like her advertising...lol. Is she going to be a movie star or TV?

Last edited by ZippoMan; 01-15-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #372
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippoMan View Post
I might be getting parts to convert my Blizzard SR into the much better DF-300. I hope it happens soon.
Me too! I'd rather beat on a converted SR than my vintage DF since parts are getting harder to find. Damn these oddball lil buggers are addictive! Now we need some fresh powder here so I can play .

X2 on the Sabertooth ESC, much more fun to drive with a pistol grip radio.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #373
Rock Crawler

Well I was lucky enough to pick up a new DF-300 over on RC Snowcats and since I sent my first one out for some custom work I immediately went to work on getting this one ready to use (abuse?) anyway I replaced every bushing with sealed bearings from Avid, took the diff apart and filled with 100,000wt fluid and and reassembled using Team3six grease on the ring and pinion.

Dropped in a New Sidewinder V3 waterproof ESC and 5700kv motor and a Traxxas 2075 servo. Don't need a fast high torque servo, it just clamps a disc on either track for steering. Haven't had no snow since I got this one, so it just sits...waiting.

I was doing some cleaning under the bench and found a couple sets of Wraith light kits I had purchased here in the for sale section a year or so ago, forgot about'em until this week. Well I thought this would work good, simple yet functional...4 whites up fr and 2 reds out rr. Here's what I did, this is the body off the first cat, I'm just using it for now...

Old 01-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #374
RCC Addict

Very cool. I did some similar lighting on my SR with the Axial light bucket kit. Have you done a speed run with that 5700? I have the same motor sitting here and was thinking of using it also.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #375
Rock Crawler

I took it to a scale run last Sunday but there was very little snow, actually none except the piles from the plows.

All I had were 3s battery's and tried to skirt the top of the piles with little success, but from what I gathered, I think when the snow comes back I'm going down to a 2s or go down on the pinion (right now it's a 23t).

I just don't know enough about these things yet to know how durable they are. I do believe the single motor DF is fairly stout, I like how the diff is assembled.

We'll just have to see when the snow arrives. I know one thing, these are a blast to mess with!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #376
Rock Crawler

Well we got 3" of fresh powder while I was at work today and I've been waiting...soooo...with a 2s battery and the new lights I just had to...

What a blast man, I am so glad I got this thing!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #377
RCC Addict

How well do they plow snow , Anybody do this with theirs. I've seen them with a blade, is that factory
old man 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #378
Rock Crawler

None of mine have a plow. I pretty much got mine just just to tool around in the snow, when I can't use any of my other RC's.

The older DX and new SR models are equipped with a plow and some of the fellas even install a rear groomer. It's pretty cool to watch them work in capable, skilled hands.

Not for me though, give me 3' rooster tails of snow baby, lol!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #379
Rock Crawler

Well I picked up another Blizzard here in the classifieds (Thanks nos nut) This one is going to be for my grandson's when they visit.

It came RTR and painted. I swapped a few things around, removed the XL-5 esc and Titan 12t and the Futaba radio system and installed a VXL ESC and CC 5700kv motor and Spektrum radio.
I did a full bearing mod along with diff fluid and greased ring & pinion gears.

They seen mine with the lights and wanted to know if theirs was going to have lights to, lol. I kindly obliged and found an older RC4WD scale light system that worked...nice, save some money.

I then proceeded to install the LED buckets. I used slightly different ones as not to look the same as mine and added a few more. Along with the 4 across the top I added 2 spots on the side of the cab and 2 fog lights across the bottom, went with 4 round tail lights. That should make them happy.

I need a few more LED's to fill all the buckets (LHS has'em) when I finish I'll be posting more pic's fully lit.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #380
Rock Crawler

Well after running mine a few times, I noticed quite a bit of snow built up in the chassis deck. Even though we all have WP electronics, clean-up is a PIA so I decided to try and seal the boys rig and see how it works out.

Needless to say, I'm very pleased and will be doing it to mine also. This is after a 20-25 minute run...

No snow build up, only moisture droplets.

It's not very pretty under the body, evident by the net couple of pic's but boy is it functional.

Air temp was 10 degrees F. and with the chassis sealed and minimal air flow the motor and ESC temped at 62 & 74 respectively.
Did I mention in any of these posts how much fun these are?!!