Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Blizzards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #381
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Blizzards

My Blizzard SR converted to DF-300 in progress! I am using the GP version under mounted steering linkage for now but plan on doing a front mounted servo so I can have room in the back for my 2S or 3S battery.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #382
Pebble Pounder

Not much in the way of snow, but took her out to the RC Flying field for a little running. It would appear that this site does not work with Photobucket for embedding video, so here is a direct link.

http://s228.beta.photobucket.com/use..._5754.mp4.html

Last edited by 02tac; 02-03-2013 at 07:42 AM.
02tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #383
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02tac View Post
Not much in the way of snow, but took her out to the RC Flying field for a little running. It would appear that this site does not work with Photobucket for embedding video, so here is a direct link.

MVI_5754.mp4 Video by 02TAC | Photobucket
Is your DF-300 all stock? What do you run for a motor, etc....
Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #384
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippoMan View Post
Is your DF-300 all stock? What do you run for a motor, etc....
Aside from bearings, yes it is stock. I am running a Dynamite Tazer ESC and a 35 turn crawler motor, 2S 2200mah lipo and a Novak Smart Stop voltage cutoff. She is not fast, but I was not looking for fast. I like the scaleish speed it does. Plus, I get very good run time, 20/25 minutes, off inexpensive batteries. She is also better balanced with the small battery up front.
02tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #385
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I bought my DF for speed so I am doing mods to mine. I will be doing a front mount steering servo so I can mount my 2S or possibly a new 3S in the back next to the ESC and receiver. I don't like how the battery is mounted across in the front...too much weight in the front also with the battery and the diff. Needs more balance.

I have an SR too but it is in pieces now waiting for motor pinions. The stock form is total junk....
Old 02-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #386

These things are so cool! Definitely something to add to my collection, eventually...
leg0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #387
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs up Re: Blizzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by leg0man View Post
These things are so cool! Definitely something to add to my collection, eventually...
Yes they are a blast if you get snow in your area!! I love both my SR and DF-300. The SR with dual Traxxas Titan 380's and Sabertooth 2x12RC is the best combo I think. The steering with dual motors can't be beat! The DF-300 uses an open diff and you basically skid steer with disc brakes. You can't do tight turns like the SR. Well the SR does have a few weak areas though but so far it is still very fun!

Old 02-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #388
RCC Addict

I'll be following your progress, Clay. Maybe I can steal some ideas from you .

I planned on switching out the stock SR body for a DF-300 on my converted SR=Speed Racer! The body is on back-order and I have some doubts that it will ever show up. Battery space is tight without the wider body. I did bench test it with the Sidewinder system on 3S, and with the tracks off the ground you can feel the wind from the paddles!
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #389
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDawg362 View Post

I planned on switching out the stock SR body for a DF-300 on my converted SR=Speed Racer! The body is on back-order and I have some doubts that it will ever show up. Battery space is tight without the wider body. I did bench test it with the Sidewinder system on 3S, and with the tracks off the ground you can feel the wind from the paddles!
Where were you going to order a body from? 2 Wheel Hobbies? If so he doubts he will get anymore. I bought his last one.

I am going to be moving the steering servo once I receive it in the mail. I bought a Hitec micro one with awesome torque for a small servo. HS-5085MG - Hitec RCD

I want room in the back to mount my lipo there. I have a DF-300 body set but have to paint it so it will be a while for that part.

I will be doing Oilcanman's in the same way, I hope! I am the tester and perfecter....lol

I just got my SR tuned up with the Titan 380's and actually am happy the way it is now. The Losi Insane 370's were a disaster and ended up toasted!! :(

Yeah stay tuned to RC Snowcats forums.....progress might be slow due to parts and such.

Oh and I also tried my 3S battery using the BR-XL waterproof edition! It sure does fly with the junky 19T used motor in it. I may find another motor soon with less turns for more speed and go down to 2S. I am afraid of killing the current motor if I run it on 3S for too long...I call it sparky! WOW!!

Last edited by ZippoMan; 02-05-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #390
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDawg362 View Post

Hey my man, checkout teambluegroove on ebay, they got a nice one piece body and interior for for the older DX model.

I just picked one up myself and it's the same width as the DF body's.

It's got overspray film but thats it, no decals or window mask. Still a nice body and a good deal.
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #391
I wanna be Dave

Edited my post! I found them on ebay!! Here is a link http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYOSHO-BLIZZ...item230cfc6166

I don't like that body for a DF-300 because it has no details like a DF and is meant for DX. I guess if you just needed a body that would work.

DF-300 bodies can be found, you just have to google more and keep your eyes on the websites that sell them. They do restock sometimes.

One website I visited said they can get them on special order. I didn't buy because shipping to Canada was too expensive...like $23.00USD. Yikes. They did have the cheapest price on a complete DF-300 body set...with decals, plastic parts and body shells.
This is the website and you can contact them and ask. http://www.hobbies4life.com/

Last edited by ZippoMan; 02-05-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #392
RCC Addict

That's who I'm waiting on. Kinda pissed that their website said "in stock" but actually it'll be another 1-2 weeks before they have them off back order. Oh well.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #393
I wanna be Dave

I found out today that my SR body will fit on the DF conversion so if I feel like switching up bodies and keeping snow out the SR body will be a nice idea. This is after I modify the battery location to the back of the DF and have the lame roll bar out. I think all the roll bar is good for is picking the DF up to work on it...lol. It is too short to protect the cab. Oh well!!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #394
RCC Addict

Night shots of my SR/DF.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #395
I wanna be Dave

Cool!!
Old 02-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #396
RCC Addict

Quote:
My Blizzard SR converted to DF-300 in progress! I am using the GP version under mounted steering linkage for now but plan on doing a front mounted servo so I can have room in the back for my 2S or 3S battery.
Now you got me thinkin'. Has anyone done this front mounted servo thing? I want to run my 5000 3S packs in mine, rear mounted. I'm using my lil 1300 mini lipos from my comp crawler but they get a serious workout with a 5700kV motor and heavy throttle finger. It does go "nose up" through the powder when I giver 'er the juice though!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #397
I wanna be Dave

Yes many have done it. I will soon! On the RC Snowcats forum I have a thread with pics of others who have done it.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/RCsnowcats/...5062107/1/#new

Yeah you can see my tiny 900mah 3S battery taped in front of the BR-XL. That is just for testing.

Last edited by ZippoMan; 02-08-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #398
RCC Addict

Here's a couple shots of my DF-300 out for a romp in the snow .
Attached Images

Last edited by TrailDawg362; 02-17-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #399

Quote:
Yes they are a blast if you get snow in your area!! I love both my SR and DF-300. The SR with dual Traxxas Titan 380's and Sabertooth 2x12RC is the best combo I think. The steering with dual motors can't be beat! The DF-300 uses an open diff and you basically skid steer with disc brakes. You can't do tight turns like the SR. Well the SR does have a few weak areas though but so far it is still very fun!

Definitely lots of snow in my area - I live near Ottawa. I was never aware of the various models & differences between them before checking out this thread, thanks for the tips!
leg0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #400
Quarry Creeper

Guys! I just ordered a Blizzard! I know that if you wanna put 380 motors from Traxxas, you have to remove the plow...the thing is...does it really interfere with the plow by alot or is it barely in the way like 5mm or something like that? found some M400 motors that are shorter than the traxxas 380 motors...the traxxas are 1.8 inches vs the promaxx M400 motors are 1.5 inches...could it fit?
rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote