Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Blizzards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #341
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Blizzards

Cool and yeah the DX3R should work easily because if a Futaba 3PM-X works I think any good radio will work with the Sabertooth. I even use a cheapy rx called FrSky....they are less than half the price of a new Futaba FASST rx so I figure if the FrSky lasts for a few years I won't be sad....lol. By then my radio will be needing 4 channels probably anyway

Oh you are on the Snowcats forums too...that is cool. Do you use the same nick?
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #342
RCC Addict

I go by NightWolf on that forum, but haven't posted anything yet. You weren't kidding about the sucky controls, I just unboxed mine and took it for a livingroom spin. It takes some getting used to. That being said, it's such an oddball but unique and cool vehichle that I'm willing to stick some money in it to make it awesome .
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #343

They work best when it is a few degress below freezing, have found out by leaving it out side in the unheated garage drive sprokets and wheels do not freeze up. I am waiting for ZippoMan to get his new motors so I can use the Titan 380's, they make the stock motors look sad.

Oilcanman
Oilcanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #344
RCC Addict

I have a DF-300 and am considering getting an SR also. That sabertooth lookks a lil overpriced to me though... might be worth it if it can take 3s. hmmmm someone needs to make some optional parts to beef up the SR gearbox!
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #345
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 Technique View Post
I have a DF-300 and am considering getting an SR also. That sabertooth lookks a lil overpriced to me though... might be worth it if it can take 3s. hmmmm someone needs to make some optional parts to beef up the SR gearbox!
Sabertooths are worth every cent!! It is only $65.00. It can handle up to 4S easily!! It says up to 24V input!! Yeah if only we could get beefier gearboxes :(

RC Snowcats forums have two guys building ultimate speed SRs. It is cool to see what they have done.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #346
RCC Addict

While looking at my local hobby shop for some Titan 380's for my new SR, I had a chance to buy the owners NIB DF-300....score! I've barely touched the SR and now I have another new snow toy. This one is getting the Velineon system .
Old 12-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #347
Rock Crawler

Hey you Blizzard guys, I been wanting one of these for awhile and don't know much except what I read here.
I got an ad in the wanted section looking for one.
I also got a question, being new to these and wanting to use my DX3R radio, should I buy a new one with dual motors or an older df-300? Got an offer for a brand new one still sealed for 390.00 .....good or bad deal?? HELP!
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #348
RCC Addict

I got my DF300 for $269, but that was a dumb luck situation, right place-right time. The SR will work with a pistol grip radio if you upgrade esc's to something like the Sabertooth. Others may post up who are more knowledgeable about these 2 trackers.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/RCsnowcats/index/

Last edited by TrailDawg362; 12-23-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #349
Rock Crawler

Are the DF and SR the same track and wheels?

Will the bearing upgrade in post 339 work for the DF?

I just want a durable, usable machine, ya know?
Old 12-24-2012, 07:10 AM   #350

Hi am thinking the SR and DF have the same tracks and body, one should check in on the Sno- Cats fourm. My step-son ZippoMan build our SR's up last year and they are fun. But as most RC you have to upgrade several things first, a sabertooth 2x12 is a must, bearings, some better wires help. When the SR is apart tape up ny holes in body to keep out the snow. I will be useing Titan 380 motors soon for better speed, ZippoMan is going to Losi 370,s the SR would be more fun in my mind I had a DX when they first came out. we are not useing the blades at all and haveing a ton more fun. I have used up 5 battery,s this winter and 10 last year and no break downs.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #351

A few pictures of my Blizzard and ZippoMan's.

Got stuck with ZippoMan .

I got stuck and Zippoman came along and drove into me to get me unstuck.

Last edited by Oilcanman; 12-26-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #352
RCC Addict

Awesome, can't wait to run mine!
Old 12-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #353

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDawg362 View Post
Awesome, can't wait to run mine!
Remember to read Keeping the snow out, on the Snow Cat fourm, running like we do it takes a little extra but easy to do.
http://s1.zetaboards.com/RCsnowcats/topic/4653862/1/

Last edited by Oilcanman; 12-26-2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Add a link
Old 12-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #354
Sinking with the ship

So I picked up this blizzard from the classifieds for a deal of a life time, I always wanted one but being that they are only useable in the snow I couldn't justify the normal price tag.*

I bought it knowing it needed a body this one was painted terribly but when it dumped snow here yesterday I had to get it up running. I was up to 3am last night, got the electronics in and tried my best to do something with this body until I can get my new one from RPP Hobby

Tossed on some old repro tamiya mountaineer decals, added some proline lights, made a stack for the exhaust and added a proline rack and I was ready for the snow this morning*

Headed out back to see what this thing could do

The current set up was a traxxas xl5 esc and 12t 550 motor with a 5645 Hitec digital high torque servo

I honestly wasn't sure what to expect with it, I had standard 2400nimh pack in it, it had a lot or torque and for taking it out of the box as I received it it was working well*

vid on 6 cell
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...21B7185D21.mp4

After a few minutes I decided I wanted to try a 3s in it. I just got my 1st 3s pack and was hoping to wake this thing up...It did just that but apparently the xl5 wasn't rated for 3s and it cooked up within 2 minutes but here is a quick vid before it shut down*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...21CA755726.mp4

I am going to the hobby shop tomorrow and doing the trade up program and getting a traxxas BL system for it. The new body should be in as well and I am also going to order the ball bearing kit for it*
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #355
RCC Addict

Now you have a scaler for the snow, nice . I'll be following this thread to see what you come up with for the new lid.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #356
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDawg362 View Post
Now you have a scaler for the snow, nice . I'll be following this thread to see what you come up with for the new lid.
I work for the sheriffs office here so I am going to make a it a search and rescue sheriffs rig I have a kick ass old school vector style light bar from a an old NYPD Toy car and I am going to paint it black and white like our sheriffs deputy cars are here. I am getting the new body tomorrow so I will try and paint it up this week.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #357
Rock Crawler

I just picked one up in the classifieds also, came with a VXL ESC and servo, I threw in a Novak 10.5t and my Spektrum stuff and popped in a 2s and being a total noob to these things I wasn't sure what to expect myself but after 20 min. I think I'm hooked!

I've been doing some reading and it's suggested to have extra parts on hand if you run 3s with a BL system.

I got bearings and fiber disc pads ordered from avid as folks recommended and was told to run 120,000 wt in the diff. and some Teeam 3six grease will be going in the gearbox. I just want to make it durable because as long as we have snow here this thing is going to get a lot of use, I can tell!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #358
I wanna be Dave

Here is a picture of the Insanes and plow linkage connected. I had to modify the servo arm a bit!! I say ditch the dumb plow anyway!! This is for speed!!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #359
RCC Addict

It looks like you used the stock pinions on the Losi motors, so they were a direct fit? I found out the hard way that the Traxxas Titan motors need a specific 2.3mm bore pinion, which should be here this week. It's really hard waiting for parts with fresh snow on the ground!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #360
Rock Crawler

All these Blizzards are so cool. I realy want one. I work at a ski resort as a chair lift mechanic and get to drive cats often for various reasons. It would be fun to have a rc version. I would get alot of drive time with it while I am at work waiting for things to fix.
TedBull is offline   Reply With Quote