Old 02-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Wooster[44691] - Public Crawl Area - Post#1=Address/Directions/Pics

Address...

Freedlander Park
400 Hillside Dr.
Wooster, OH 44691

Directions through the park...

As you turn onto Hillside Dr your also entering straight into the park,when you come to a stop sign(in the park), take a right passing through the parking lot and in front of the pool house. Next stop/intersection(in the park) take a left and the actual location is on your left behind the pools. Closest parking will be to the right.

COMP/ROCK AREA (updated 3/13/12) :

"HILL CLIMB" AREA (updated 3/13/12) :

SIDE DITCH AREA (updated 3/13/12) :

Original thread starter...
I was thinking about setting up a rock/terrain coarse in my garage and was just seeing if anyone would be interested in using it and doing some crawling. It wont be to technical off the start unless I get some volunteers. It wouldnta be huge, single car garage, but it will be something to use that's heated while its cold out. I have access to rock, concrete chunks, and wood(firewood) for different surfaces.

Post your interest here or send me a PM. Im not doing this for money, but for fun and maybe a place to meet people or kill some time. I am a noob and looking for people to hang with and learn some things. Hopefully some locals will voice opinions...

Thanks!

Last edited by OhioCrawler; 06-28-2012 at 08:55 AM. Reason: UPDATE: Title and thread has changed from indoor private coarse to outdoor public coarse.
OhioCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Wayne County(wooster[44691]) indoor rock/terrain coarse - Anyone interested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioCrawler View Post
I was thinking about setting up a rock/terrain coarse in my garage and was just seeing if anyone would be interested in using it and doing some crawling. It wont be to technical off the start unless I get some volunteers. It wouldnta be huge, single car garage, but it will be something to use that's heated while its cold out. I have access to rock, concrete chunks, and wood(firewood) for different surfaces.

Post your interest here or send me a PM. Im not doing this for money, but for fun and maybe a place to meet people or kill some time. I am a noob and looking for people to hang with and learn some things. Hopefully some locals will voice opinions...

Thanks!
We are always looking for more places to crawl. Can have fun crawling anywhere. I wish there
Were more indoor places to crawl.

Cowboys crawling spot was in a garage and we had as many as 27 drivers! Garages are just fine

But you have to get out also. Feel free to come to the boulderhouse get together this Saturday. Meet some people and get some ideas. Shoot you're only 1hr from here.

Last edited by holycaveman; 02-13-2012 at 02:09 PM.
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Wayne County(wooster[44691]) indoor rock/terrain coarse - Anyone interested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
We are always looking for more places to crawl. Can have fun crawling anywhere. I wish there
Were more indoor places to crawl.

Cowboys crawling spot was in a garage and we had as many as 27 drivers! Garages are just fine

But you have to get out also. Feel free to come to the boulderhouse get together this Saturday. Meet some people and get some ideas. Shoot you're only 1hr from here.
Oh yeah I'll be there, but what's the charge for a spectator? Can I spectate? Even if its just a donation to the club i'm down. My 2.2 rig wont be ready for another week or two. Its an xr10, nothing real special, just slowing building cause of a budget lol. Ill drive that hour all day to see some real vets go at it!

Thanks!

Last edited by OhioCrawler; 02-24-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: UPDATE: Title and thread has changed from indoor private coarse to outdoor public coarse.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioCrawler View Post
Oh yeah I'll be there, but what's the charge for a spectator? Can I spectate? Even if its just a donation to the club i'm down. My 2.2 rig wont be ready for another week or two. Its an xr10, nothing real special, just slowing building cause of a budget lol. Ill drive that hour all day to see some real vets go at it!

Thanks!
Its worth more to spectate and gather all the info and ideas than it is to drive!

It will be well worth your while.

That said we wont charge you a thing to hang out with us.

Looking forward to meeting you. I am the guy that looks like a caveman
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #5

I would be interested

Last edited by jfetzer; 02-14-2012 at 02:26 AM.
jfetzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

i would like to see another indoor spot for sure
mustangboy_347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Well heres the jam im in, not so much a jam i guess...

I have come across an awesome place that already contains rock, and room to add my stock pile to it. But heres the kicker, ive been in contact with the City of Wooster, my hometown, about turning this area into an rc crawling park, if you will. Myself or others could maintain it while there by pulling some weeds and such as needed or toss a stick or two into the woods. My employer is also willing to donate mulch to the area to make it look professional and give it a "playground" surface look. I dont wanna release the exact location yet but it is a great place thats also public but lacks electric and lighting at night. Im sure your allowed to use this area but i am asking for their permission to "clean up" the area and make it more useable for whats there. It is plenty big and also a great foundation to start with thanks to the city workers for dumping a few rocks there. I think if i get the ok that ill add my stock pile to it. I guess there are pros and cons to both indoor and outdoor.

My few biggest cons are coming up with enough free/donated rock to make a decent indoor coarse, and then having possilbly to many people for the size of my garage, single and a half car garage. Not that i truely mind about the numbers but i wouldnt want it to be a let down to others i guess is what im trying to say. Indoor space would be lacking a repair/pit area unless a table or two were placed outside the garage or in your vehicle. but then again a garage is heated/cooled and dry lol. I have also found a vendor who sells rock/boulder sizes for $50/ton , which could get expensive if i cant hunt down enough myself.

So heres what im getting at...

Indoor? -controlled environment, but restricted size as well as possible overall size of materials.
Outdoor? -large "natural" rock layouts with my/others rock added to fill in, but open to the elements.

You tell me....???

Last edited by OhioCrawler; 02-24-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: UPDATE: Title and thread has changed from indoor private coarse to outdoor public coarse.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Wayne County[44691] indoor rock/terrain coarse - Anyone interested?

I think in the long term the outdoor idea would be better. Shelter is a great thing but with limited space it would be tough to hold a sizable comp. a larger easier to manipulate outdoor area would be more likely to attract more drivers. Also on public land you may get foot traffic that could be future drivers. Just my thoughts.
Frank Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
I think in the long term the outdoor idea would be better. Shelter is a great thing but with limited space it would be tough to hold a sizable comp. a larger easier to manipulate outdoor area would be more likely to attract more drivers. Also on public land you may get foot traffic that could be future drivers. Just my thoughts.
Great point. All I will say for now is this is at a city park. Plenty of parking, a pavillion within a stones throw, a playground for the little ones, and a pool in case we need to take a dip

As for foot traffic, I agree. I actually came across it in that manner. I play disc golf at this park and the number one tee box is right next to it. As well as the city pool is close also, which may attract spectators and/or future hobby go'ers.

I have emailed the manager of parks and recreation about this idea. I think if they approved the disc golf coarse to be built by its members(not the city) i wouldnt see why they wouldnt approve this, i mean it only needs "cleaned" up from debris. Its currently an unused section of the park so I also stated this would help expand the park, and bring more people to enjoy the area.

We shall see...

Old 02-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

You may want to emphasize that thesr are Slow moving rc's. Around here there are policies that keep us out of these areas due to a blanket ban on rc in general in metro parks. Im sure this was spawned by bashers and aircraft
Frank Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Update: I have a conference call with the director, and the maintenance supervisor of parks and recreation tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed!

Last edited by OhioCrawler; 02-24-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: UPDATE: Title and thread has changed from indoor private coarse to outdoor public coarse.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Just got off the phone. So far so good! The guys I talked to were very interested and kind of excited about the idea. So much so I am meeting them Friday(24th) at 10am at that location so we can see what its gonna entail and to take a look at my rig to get an idea what its all about. These guys were cool for sure. Like Frank mentioned above their biggest concern was noise, as soon as I said its all electric, that seemed to seal the deal. Cannot wait for Friday! We may have a new public location in the near future!!!

Last edited by OhioCrawler; 02-24-2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: UPDATE: Title and thread has changed from indoor private coarse to outdoor public coarse.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

That's awesome man! please keep us apprised of the situation
EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

we need more publicity and the *right* kinda r/c'ers to approach these people with "low maintenance" park crawler courses so they realize we help keep the places clean and tidy, instead of banning us and letting all the beer bottle smashing punks destroy the area.
ClassicGMJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGMJunkie View Post
we need more publicity and the *right* kinda r/c'ers to approach these people with "low maintenance" park crawler courses so they realize we help keep the places clean and tidy, instead of banning us and letting all the beer bottle smashing punks destroy the area.
Yep that's pretty much what my first email was, we can pull weeds while we are there or toss a stick or two into the woods if needed, and us guys will keep it up because we wanna use it.

As for the punks, I've got a great idea from my uncle(who's also into Rc), anyways he said you can get cheapo "dummy" security cams to mount somewhere close. There might still be some issues but hopefully knowing their "on cam" will make them think otherwise...

Last edited by OhioCrawler; 02-24-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: UPDATE: Title and thread has changed from indoor private coarse to outdoor public coarse.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

inside my friend's cell phone shop..
ClassicGMJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Well boys...we have a new location! Got the thumbs up just a bit ago. May be a few weeks before I can really get out and spend some hours on it BUT it is a go!!!

The guys loved the idea, and can't wait to see people out using it. Now don't get me wrong, my rig isn't anywhere near some of yours, but they were impressed as to what they can do...

Last edited by OhioCrawler; 02-24-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #18
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGMJunkie View Post
all the beer bottle smashing punks
I'm out. You girls have fun with your toys, I'll be at home smashing bottles.

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Wayne County[44691], new public location under construction

Thats great news! Be sure to post up comps or GTG's. Wooster only 40min ride for me.
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Wayne County[44691], new public location under construction

does sound pretty good..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Wooster[44691] - Under Construction - Post#1=Address/Directions/Pics - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LCC indoor coarse Cole82 Videos! 0 03-07-2010 09:19 PM
Indoor crawler coarse build Jeff Mills Idaho 11 02-03-2010 08:54 AM
Building an indoor coarse ? beni Chit Chat 1 12-07-2008 09:54 PM
Durable foam for indoor coarse Cole82 Chit Chat 8 01-13-2008 10:43 PM
homemade indoor crawling coarse? NoblesvilleKid Chit Chat 0 07-18-2007 03:54 PM