Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > RC Rock Crawling Worlds > Past Events

Notices

Thread: 2014 Nationals & Season Class Information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 07:31 AM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2014 Nationals & Season Class Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubs179 View Post
Are you restricting who can drive in the "trail class"? If not it's going to dominated by the same people just like every other class, it's not the high dollar rigs, it's the good drives that finish high. If you don't want the class to be intimidating you have to exclude the "pro" drivers, or anyone good for that matter.
If you restrict drivers from entering just because they're good, who is going to run the class? The idea is a class in which a newer guy (borrow some of the old school guys who had left) can bring a fairly stock truck, that still looks like a truck and have fun competing.

Its not the fear of not winning that sends the new and/or less serious drivers away. It's the thought of having to shell out ridiculous sums of money on too of the high cost they already spent buying their truck just to find out they get to run 3 courses and only get through one or two gates per course.

If somebody gets upset because they don't win right off the bat, they're not likely to stay in this hobby anyway. Through course design and the veteran comp guys working with everybody, we can hopefully attract new blood and keep them coming back.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #82
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaxx View Post
The default position is always stock. As long a people follow the spirit of class we will avoid micro managing things like body panels and cage dimensions. Builders that try and push the envelop by building things because "THE RULES DON"T SAT I CAN"T" might get a reality check. The further a builder strays from stock the more likely that check will happen
This legal or have I pushed it too far?

J
Old 02-12-2014, 08:50 AM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
I am not a huge fan of running 1.9 and 2.2 size tires on the same course. If we go that direction there should be a section seperate on the course that the 1.9 size tire rigs would split off and another one for the 2.2 size tires. Another thought with 4WS and dig do the drivers recieve a one time penality for using them? Most stock rigs that I know of do not have dig or 4WS.

Just a thought.
We defiantly thought about all of that, and decided to wait until we had some practical experience running some comps. Locally the SCX10s with 1.9 s seem to run circles around Wraiths. Let's just wait and see how the pans out before splitting the class

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaldidDog View Post

J
It definitely seems to push the envelope of the intent of the class. There are published dimensions that I can't measure from the pictures. Assuming the dimensions are in spec it would be legal until the RC decided a rules change was necessary.

See paragraph 4 of the Class Mission Statement

There is no denying there is a subjective component to this class, and it will be challenging for RC to stay in front of those who want to push the technology boundaries of this class. I don't want to get in the business of declaring one truck is legal vs another. If RC sees a trend that defeats the purpose of this class we will make the appropriate decision.

One of our objectives in creating this class was to separate it from the other 4 classes and give the drivers currently not crawling a chance to drive something they might already have against more experienced drivers. So my question would be does that type of truck promote or hinder that objective?

Last edited by Fishmaxx; 02-12-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #84
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Quote:
It definitely seems to push the envelope of the intent of the class. There are published dimensions that I can't measure from the pictures. Assuming the dimensions are in spec it would be legal until rc decided a rules change was need to maintain the competitive balance of the class.

Ok. Thanks Fish. I'll wait and see how the specs and class evolve. I'll likely leave this class for newcomers though. I was just curious. This will be a cool class to watch.

J
Old 02-12-2014, 11:41 AM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
We defiantly thought about all of that, and decided to wait until we had some practical experience running some comps. Locally the SCX10s with 1.9 s seem to run circles around Wraiths. Let's just wait and see how the pans out before splitting the class

Not splitting the classes but putting a split in the course for 1.9 to go one direction and 2.2 to go another direction then meet back up. I know from what I have seen with our scale comps 1.9 tires against 2.2 tires is like bringing a knife to a gunfight. They can both get it done but the 2.2 will usually get it done faster.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Not splitting the classes but putting a split in the course for 1.9 to go one direction and 2.2 to go another direction then meet back up. I know from what I have seen with our scale comps 1.9 tires against 2.2 tires is like bringing a knife to a gunfight. They can both get it done but the 2.2 will usually get it done faster.

That could be a course building/judging nightmare. Would be easier to have them run the same courses but scored separately, example top 3 1.9 and top 3 2.2 finishers. IF it comes to that.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

That makes sense.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

You will have to build courses based on your terrain and knowledge. For me it's to too early to say what's the best way to go. We went through alot of trial and error before course design started using the current formats we have now.

Last edited by Fishmaxx; 02-12-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #89
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Quote:

Well if you base everything on a 1.9 rig. The 2.2 would have the advantage. What about making the hard climbs for the 1.9's but not 2.2 bonus gates?
Old 02-12-2014, 12:21 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenwheely View Post
Well if you base everything on a 1.9 rig. The 2.2 would have the advantage. What about making the hard climbs for the 1.9's but not 2.2 bonus gates?

As I said before lets build some courses and have some fun. After we start actually running courses with gates. Then when we start getting some results and feedback we can share ideas about what worked and what didn't.

Last edited by Fishmaxx; 02-12-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #91
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Quote:

As I said before lets build some courses and have some fun. After we start actually running courses with gates. Then when we start getting some results and feedback we can share ideas about what worked and what didn't.
Just throwing out ideas like the rest and see what sticks.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:04 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Quick question... Are Twin Hammers allowed compete in the trial class?
Old 02-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #93

Please don't burn me too bad for my newness on here and question but how do you really expect a scx10 and other frame rail chassis rigs to compete with TVP type chassis?

I ran my first comp last month with a new deadbolt with a tire/wheel change, od/ud gears, and a pinion change. I placed 3rd. There were some scx10 vehicles there and there is no way that any of them could pull any climbs that I could do. How will this be fair?

Also while I do understand that bringing in more people to compete is a good idea, as was said before if a scale type person wanted to compete in a full comp type driving/scoring situation then they would already be doing it or working towards it. My point being that trying to draw people in is good just try not to push them hard into it I guess.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #94
Rock Crawler

Are you guys sure this "trail class" isn't going to backfire on you? Seems to me you may attract new drivers with this but once they find out there is a scale comp scene that is way more laid back and cheaper they will bail and go with the scalers.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #95
Rock Crawler

I can't wait to see and run in the non scale 2.2p class

Not as many rules
Old 02-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapped-out View Post
Anyone have an answer?
Old 02-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #97
RCC Addict

Quote:
or the summit there is a lot of people that have those already
Old 02-12-2014, 10:23 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Currently not on the list for National competition, but your certainly welcome to try it at the local level.

1.0 Pre-Approved a list of trucks
  1. Axial SCX10
  2. Axial Wraith
  3. Axial Ridgecrest AX90019
  4. Axial Deadbolt AX90033
  5. HPI Wheely King
  6. G Made Sawback
  7. RC4WD Trail Finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowridinjuggalo View Post
or the summit there is a lot of people that have those already

Gonna be hard to get a 18" wide truck through a 16" wide gate

Last edited by Fishmaxx; 02-12-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:04 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Currently not on the list for National competition, but your certainly welcome to try it at the local level.

1.0 Pre-Approved a list of trucks
  1. Axial SCX10
  2. Axial Wraith
  3. Axial Ridgecrest AX90019
  4. Axial Deadbolt AX90033
  5. HPI Wheely King
  6. G Made Sawback
  7. RC4WD Trail Finder

Thanks Fish
Old 02-13-2014, 06:28 AM   #100
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
If you restrict drivers from entering just because they're good, who is going to run the class? The idea is a class in which a newer guy (borrow some of the old school guys who had left) can bring a fairly stock truck, that still looks like a truck and have fun competing.

Its not the fear of not winning that sends the new and/or less serious drivers away. It's the thought of having to shell out ridiculous sums of money on too of the high cost they already spent buying their truck just to find out they get to run 3 courses and only get through one or two gates per course.

If somebody gets upset because they don't win right off the bat, they're not likely to stay in this hobby anyway. Through course design and the veteran comp guys working with everybody, we can hopefully attract new blood and keep them coming back.
Okay. It is used in almost every other form of competition, but it won't work in rccrawling? People want to win, it's human nature.

So, when Joel, being one of the best drives in the country, shows up with this and STOMPS them into the ground, how will it be less intimidating? I understand the "intent" of the class but I think you guys are just creating another class for the hardcore guys to win?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaldidDog View Post

J

2014 Nationals & Season Class Information - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nor-CalRCRC 2013/2014 season gunnar Competition Results 8 06-02-2014 01:51 PM
G.V.C.C. comp season 2013-2014 rtousley Colorado 12 03-26-2014 05:22 PM
2014 Season Club Meeting Harley Missouri 55 02-21-2014 07:55 AM