Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Brainwashed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 09:28 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

So now I am down to 2 items--the electronics/wiring and the steering. Since it was getting late I figured I would tackle getting the electronics mounted up before quiting for the night.

So I am going to mount the battery down in the belly--havent figured out how I am going to retain it in place but I have a couple ideas. I went and took lexan and made mounts for the ESC, dig switch and reciever.

I have seen a few different methods of a "tray" so to speak but I opted to made individual trays to get each item as low as possable depending on where it sits/link placement. I also placed them high enogh to sqeeze a 3 cell under them.

But here is how the components will sit.

Hopefully this works out--one part I am not 100% on yet.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2009, 12:49 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Well I sat down tonight with my soldering iron/wire and other goodies and went at it. Man---its now stuffed with crap---I mean wires,lol..

I was pretty tight but I am happy with how it turned out. The only thing I need to finish is I need to go to my LHS and grab some blank connectors so I can shorten up the wiring to the CC BEC and I will need to build an extension for the servo once thats mounted. But for the most part the wiring is done..

Motor wiring Rear

Motor wiring front

Like alot of the MOA builds I have seen---very tright....

Old 07-30-2009, 12:53 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

So now its time to do the last major part--make it steer....

Here is the bad boy servo--all metal with 480ouz at 7.4 volts.

I was going to look into doing a BTA setup but for now I am going to go with a conventional setup. One nice thing about these axles is how high the steering arms are. Here is the first step of what I am about to do..

And here is where I made it tonight...

Old 07-31-2009, 06:27 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Can't wait to see how those 454's handle the 3C
crawlinghulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:47 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Nice Bully build.

I always like to see custom builds.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:09 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

So moving right along.

I got the new servo mount roughed in.

And here is the finished product. Let me tell you this fawker was a tight fit--I had no room to make any errors. I did end up changing 2/3 way thru the mount and ended up moving the servo inboard which--almost screwed me. I forgot about the upper link mount and the servo wanted to hit it without fitting correctly on the mount. I ended up being 1/16" off and had to shave some off the mount to get the servo to fit properly.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:23 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Here is the servo mounted. As you can see I designed/built it for the servo to fit behind the mount.

Look at that--is that some overkill on the tie rod/drag link,lol

So about 11:30 I got done in the shop, grabbed the rig to go show my little boy (which was actually asleep on the couch) and I dropped the rig--fawk me....

Old 07-31-2009, 09:24 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
Nice Bully build.

I always like to see custom builds.
I just can't bring myself to use somebody "else's" chassis....
Old 07-31-2009, 09:45 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfab View Post
So about 11:30 I got done in the shop, grabbed the rig to go show my little boy (which was actually asleep on the couch) and I dropped the rig--fawk me....
That's why i just redesigned my steering. I bent my servo horn every time I went upside down with it in the up position.

Quote:
I just can't bring myself to use somebody "else's" chassis....
I feel the exact same way. I've looked and looked at other people's designs that I really like, but I always seem to just build my own.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:46 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
That's why i just redesigned my steering. I bent my servo horn every time I went upside down with it in the up position.

I feel the exact same way. I've looked and looked at other people's designs that I really like, but I always seem to just build my own.

Did you ever try to go with a steel horn?

I am hoping to have the steering all figured out tonight--so tommorow I can start testing and tweeking...
Old 07-31-2009, 09:48 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Did you ever try to go with a steel horn?

I am hoping to have the steering all figured out tonight--so tommorow I can start testing and tweeking...

Nope. Never tried a steel horn.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:55 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Nice job on your build!!
wondering how the cobalt 454's are??
do you have a size comparison as far as length with the regular 500 motors?

I'm thinking about trying some of these on my rig...but I'm worried they are to long and will really interfere with the lower links??
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:22 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53 willys View Post
Nice job on your build!!
wondering how the cobalt 454's are??
do you have a size comparison as far as length with the regular 500 motors?

I'm thinking about trying some of these on my rig...but I'm worried they are to long and will really interfere with the lower links??
Thanks. Well I don't have the specs on a 500 motor but they are like 1/8" longer than a 540 motor when you include the adapter I am using..
Old 07-31-2009, 10:06 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks. Well I don't have the specs on a 500 motor but they are like 1/8" longer than a 540 motor when you include the adapter I am using..
ok thanks...I meant to type 540 not 500..lol
thats the info I'm looking for...
so have you drove the rig yet?? or dealing with the bent servo horn still?
Old 07-31-2009, 10:52 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
ok thanks...I meant to type 540 not 500..lol
thats the info I'm looking for...
so have you drove the rig yet?? or dealing with the bent servo horn still?
Just finished the steering and working on the battery retention setup.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:20 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

So I got the steering all finished. I did the same thing that I did for my TLT shafty and used 5/32" piano wire. I had found in 5/32 its very strong but kind of tricky to thread the ends (heat ends to red hot to remove some of the temper from the material). But here is what I ended up with.

One other thing I decided to try was give some strength to the servo horn I have. Since with my first failure--after dropping it I noticed where the weak point was. So with the part I made it forces the leverage against the base of the horn. Will see if it works or not..

Old 07-31-2009, 11:23 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

I got the body mounts cut down and I think the battery retained.

So now all I have to do is reprogram the BEC to 7.4 volts and program the FXR. Then its ready to see what happens.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:29 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Nice job on the horn stiffner....if that don't hold up get a robotronic arm...they are so beefy it's ridiculous!!
looks like it's time for new rovers....I just junked a set like that cause they lost their traction and handling..

might wanna cut the threaded section off on the tie rod bolts through the knuckle...I ripped a tire with mine exposed like that.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:48 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Nice job on the horn stiffner....if that don't hold up get a robotronic arm...they are so beefy it's ridiculous!!
looks like it's time for new rovers....I just junked a set like that cause they lost their traction and handling..

might wanna cut the threaded section off on the tie rod bolts through the knuckle...I ripped a tire with mine exposed like that.
I had heard about the robotics arm being a beef cake of an arm--I will look into that for sure

I was eyeballing a set of new rovers at the LHS today--almost bought them but I have like 2 weeks before the next comp so I will just continue to burn this set up. Plus I am unsure on how well the 2s lipo packs I have will work so I might have to step up and get some 3s.

Thanks for the tip on the bolts--forgot about that. Tommorow will be test and tune in the am--and cross my fingers I get no mushroom clouds
Old 08-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

So I got up and started getting it programed. Well the first problem I ran across is since I removed the on/off switch for the ESC (due to the BEC its not needed) when I try to program the BEC--it wants to power up the ESC due to how its wired..

I went and added a connector on the power/ground side of the BEC to seperate it from the rest of the wiring.

SO once that was done I went and programed the radio to the ESC and I had to reverse the forward/reverse on the radio. Well I started programing the FXR with the hotwire and I just could not get the drag brake to work properly. Well since the ESC is unable to program it to reverse the motor polarity (like you can with the novak goat) I had to go and swap the wires for the motors to get everything jiving correctly.

So I have to still tweek the specs for the ESC but its getting better.

So I played with it on my course for a while and went and changed the pinions front is now a 13 and the rear is a 11. I can't tell how much stall is "ok" but I am getting used to it..

I think my wheels are too heavy since I just threw them on--rears are 9.8ouz and the fronts are 15.7 ouz